New unusual suggestions should be based on pure offers

polar

As a follow up to this thread: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/1743-unusual-price-in-buds/

At this point, 90% of unusual values on this site are inaccurate (by a lot), especially any unusual >2 weeks old with the passing of the latest buds suggestion. As such, people pricing unusuals based on already inaccurate unusual prices are creating one giant clusterf---.

Here is my opinion until all this gets sorted out:

- Unusuals should be priced based on pure offers/sales/etc.

- If that isn't possible, unusual offers shouldn't automatically be based on this website's range any more. And calculating overpay by using 90% off middle or low end of a range of an already artificially lowered price is just ridiculous.

Example: 

Scorching drill + 1.5 buds for beams beanie + beams drill. As is, the scorching drill would be valued at 6.7 after factoring overpay (low end of beanie and drill). But the beams drill hat has offers of 7 and 8 pure by itself. So you go from valuing an unusual that is easily 8.5 to 6.7. That's a massive difference. Another example in comments below. Secret stash going from 18 buds to 13 buds using current ranges. These are big differences on unusuals that don't even have that old prices (<2 months)

I only seek to caution people about using this websites' ranges in making unusual suggestions. I understand that most sales aren't done in pure. But right now, that's the only way to price things without being grossly off. Once Brad implements a better way to value unusuals (instead of USD), this will be a non-issue.

Why should suggestions be based on OFFERS in the first place.

Didn't mean it as offers only. Sales, offers, etc. Point is everything should be based on pure and not unusuals because we can't objectively figure out the value of unusuals any more. Almost all current ranges are off.

Correction, we can't objectively nail down a specific price for unusuals (by the nature of unusual trading).  But it's not hard to come up with a reasonable range.  

edit: Claims we can't figure out the value of unusuals, implies he knows accurate ranges. 

Correction, we can't objectively nail down a specific price for unusuals (by the nature of unusual trading).  But it's not hard to come up with a reasonable range.  

edit: Claims we can't figure out the value of unusuals, implies he knows accurate ranges. 

My point is that people using this website's ranges for unusuals are grossly undervaluing them on new suggestions. Hence, no longer a reasonable range.

Shouldn't have said we can't figure value of unusuals because we can. If you go back far enough, somebody will have paid pure on a hat and that can be used as a base to price other hats. My main objection is to price things directly from current ranges.

Nope most of the time unusuals get sold for more unusuals, especially higher tier unusuals. 

Pure usually happens for the cheap stuff less then a bud

no, atleast 75% of the offers are in unusuals.

like 5% of the offers are made with decent pure offers.

downvote

Nope most of the time unusuals get sold for more unusuals, especially higher tier unusuals. 

Pure usually happens for the cheap stuff less then a bud

So you are suggesting we keep using inaccurate unusual ranges to price other unusuals? I only seek to caution people about using this websites' ranges in making unusual suggestions. I understand that most sales aren't done in pure. But right now, that's the only way to price things without being grossly off.

Let me give an example: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51a40c0aba2536fd1e000009 - secret stash - his range was off anyways, but..

A clean one sold for moon ballcap + 2. Moon ballcap is listed as 11-13. So someone pricing this would say, oh, this should be ~13. The moon ballcap itself has offers including a ghosts bonk boy + 4 in sweets. Ghosts bonk boy is listed at 8, but the bonk boy was bought for 12 pure. When you price the ghosts bonk boy at 12, then you get a moon ballcap offer of ~16 and a secret stash offer of ~18 and NOT 13. That's a 5 buds differential if you are just going off of this websites price ranges.

Another example:

Scorching drill + 1.5 buds for beams beanie + beams drill. As is, the scorching drill would be valued at 6.7 after factoring overpay (low end of beanie and drill). But the beams drill hat has offers of 7 and 8 pure by itself. So you go from valuing an unusual that is easily 8.5 to 6.7. That's a massive difference. 

They won't listen and they don't care. As far as I can tell the people who put in the vast majority of the suggestions here want the Unusuals to have bad prices. 

Archived