Rules question

Playingforfun

I am wondering: if I sell a key at 8 refined, and I say: (massive) overpay only. (In this example I will only trade it for 10 ref overpay or higher).

Is that allowed?

If it is not, would selling a key at 10 ref, and saying that I only accept items for it be allowed?

I am wondering: if I sell a key at 8 refined, and I say: (massive) overpay only. (In this example I will only trade it for 10 ref overpay or higher).

Is that allowed?

If it is not, would selling a key at 10 ref, and saying that I only accept items for it be allowed?

If you put up 8 ref (only looking for items with 25% overpay) that would be misleading, you should put up 10 ref (in items) or 8 ref also accepting items with 25% item overpay.

If you are listing on the classifieds, you must have an amount in pure that you're willing to take. You can say you're open to offers in items, but if someone adds you with the amount of metal/keys you have listed for, you must be willing to trade for that. If you are looking solely for item offers, you should use other trading sites suited for it.

I understand: if I ever put up something for metal, and I won't sell it for that price it'd be bannable.

So is this allowed?

33de7hj.png

I mean, giving it is very generous, but I should be able to buy that key of him for 0.11 refined, right?

I understand: if I ever put up something for metal, and I won't sell it for that price it'd be bannable.

So is this allowed?

33de7hj.png

I mean, giving it is very generous, but I should be able to buy that key of him for 0.11 refined, right?

Yes, technically you should be able to buy the key off of him for 1 scrap.

There are a lot of people doing things like this: offers, give aways, people buying keys instead of selling it.
It is misleading a lot of people who are quite new to backpack.tf
I myself was banned 8 hours because I wanted to trade my tide turner for a B.A.S.E. Jumper instead of selling it. Of course, 8 hours isn't a big punishment, but if a lot of people have to get banned first before they know for sure if they can trade/giveaway, that is a lot of banned people who are unaware of what they are banned for.

If I encounter people That have trades like this:

33de7hj.png

What should I do? trade them and force them to trade me or get them a ban? It won't increase my reputation...

And if I just leave them be, someone else is going to copy their behaviour.

What should I do? trade them and force them to trade me or get them a ban? It won't increase my reputation...

And if I just leave them be, someone else is going to copy their behaviour.

They are clearly not intending to trade the item at all rather to advertise a raffle/video...etc which is not allowed here, simply report the trade and move on. (Click the yellow flag)

You "forcing them" to trade you for their listed price and threatening them if anything you get you into more trouble as you are technically scamming/manipulating the user. Which is no different than you adding someone and threatening them with a steamrep ban unless they give you a discount.

I understand your frustration with users abusing our classifieds to cut the line and advertise, just simply report and move on. Unlike one popular site *cough*steamrep6monthwait*cough* bp.tf deals with reports swiftly

Using the classifieds solely to advertise groups/raffles/etc is most definitely against the rules. Please report those you see.

Alright. You will have at least one guy who will help against advertising now :)

Thanks for making it all clear. It really helped me, and it would most likely help anyone who would has read all this.

I still have two final questions: If I post a key for 1 key and saying: buying keys for <price>, would it be allowed?
You will always trade the key (no win/no loss, still cutting in line (current prices keys are worth more than the keys (logic, I know))) so in fact, you can't be banned for misleading in prices because you just are selling keys for keys.
Short: you let people not be able to ban you for classified prices, but you still have the "buying keys" text.

And if I sell a key for a key, and say overpay in items encouraged, pure allowed. There won't be problems with that, right?

EDIT: I did this for one minute, got 4 trade requests and 3 friend requests, so I immediately removed it. The trade requests were approximately 7.66 to 7.88, no people buying it for a pure key. It does give problems using this method: too many trades :P

There's a specific rule about not using the classifieds for buying. The header when you try to list an item to sell- "Do not post listings if you are intending to buy something - use the watchlist feature instead." You can mention you are buying at a price if you are legitimately selling an item otherwise (eg. List a key at 8 refined that you're selling for 8 refined while mentioning in the notes that you are willing to buy for 7.66 refined). But making a listing that is solely meant to advertise a buying trade is not allowed (eg. List a key for 7.66 refined and saying that you're not selling but only buying at that price; listing a key at 1 key and saying you're buying for X price is similarly not allowed, as even if you'd go through with a standard key for standard key swap as listed, it is perfectly clear that the intent is solely for it to be a buying trade).

Listing a key for a key while asking for item overpay falls into the same trap. Even if you're technically willing to trade the key for an identical key, the intent is clear that you're only listing to take item offers.

Basically, trying to get by on a technicality won't work here. We ultimately moderate to keep the classifieds operating smoothly. Trying to slip in a listing clearly against the intent of the classifieds on a 'there's no rule saying a dog can't play basketball' type basis will still get your listing removed. Ultimately, use common sense. Would a buyer entering the classifieds with the intent of making a simple, direct purchase find the classified disruptive? If so, don't do it.

I do know about the "Do not post listings if you are intending to buy something - use the watchlist feature instead.", don't worry. I was trying to find the limit to the classifieds and I found it. I feel like wasting your time with my last post. Sorry.

Archived