How did my hat get duped if it never got stolen from me?

LookAtMyChicken

It was most probably already duped before you bought it. The guy havIng the other copy must've had a private bp, and recently sold his to a guy with public bp.

how does it devalue yours?

People tend to pay less for duped hats, which explains why unusual prices cannot be lowered based on duped sales (more than 3 buds).

OP's main concern is that he purchased it awhile ago, thinking that it was clean, and that the appearance of the duped copy will affect the price of his unusual, because most buyers will value it lower than a non-duped one.

Same thing happened to me and a friend a while ago. He bought my Stormy Samureye and like 2 days later another user appeared between ours in the history and the hat was marked as duped. I figure it was what other people are saying. A private backpack sold it / became public. If not maybe Steam granted it back or something... I have no idea lol.

Same thing happened to me and a friend a while ago. He bought my Stormy Samureye and like 2 days later another user appeared between ours in the history and the hat was marked as duped. I figure it was what other people are saying. A private backpack sold it / became public. If not maybe Steam granted it back or something... I have no idea lol.

There's only two possibilities in which a hat "suddenly" becomes duped:

1) Duped copy in private bp was sold to a guy with public bp.

2) Someone in that hat's history was hijacked, and his hat changes hands many times before steam support restores it, causing his name to suddenly appear as the latest owner of the hat with its original id before it was stolen.

There's only two possibilities in which a hat "suddenly" becomes duped:

1) Duped copy in private bp was sold to a guy with public bp.

2) Someone in that hat's history was hijacked, and his hat changes hands many times before steam support restores it, causing his name to suddenly appear as the latest owner of the hat with its original id before it was stolen.

Yep. Got a pair of smoking goggles traded at least 2 times before I got it for some other hat. Ended up getting restored to the guy that got phished about a week after I got it.

Archived