How do you make TF2 sound mods?

Mr.Mem

Question is in the title. I've tried looking on gamebanana but they're all pretty bad guides. I'm really just looking to find where the original sounds are. Like, if I want to put the original Mantread sound into the one I want to make. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Audacity, convert mp3 to .wav

Gcfscape extract from the vpk files found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf

Open the _dir file at the bottom of the vpks, it's used to open all.

Copy the name, name your own custom wav file. Match the folders in the vpk, put it into custom mod folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\insertspecialfoldernamehereitdoesn'treallymatteratallnameitfuckitworks\sounds\weapons name of mantread file found in the vpks from earlier.

Gcfscape extract from the vpk files found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf

I have GCFScape, but I have no idea what you mean by extracting it.

I have GCFScape, but I have no idea what you mean by extracting it.

DfB0SjZ.jpg

Notice the _dir.vpk at the end of the file name at the top. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf you'll find some tf2 files with the same bit on the end. Open those up, navigate the folders until you find the correct sound. Right click, and it should say in the menu, "extract" and then you have the sound file.

To mod it, notice the folder layout inside the vpk. Here's my layout with my own folder name.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\mods for those to large\sound\weapons\mantreads001.wav

That may or may not be the correct file name, but the path is correct. Make your own folder in the custom folder, name it absolutely anything. Even scout'sgottinyballslolol will work. Then inside that, copy the folder structures found in the vpk.

Here's a pic of my folder for reference.

apxtSy8.jpg

-snip picture for space-

Notice the _dir.vpk at the end of the file name at the top. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf you'll find some tf2 files with the same bit on the end. Open those up, navigate the folders until you find the correct sound. Right click, and it should say in the menu, "extract" and then you have the sound file.

To mod it, notice the folder layout inside the vpk. Here's my layout with my own folder name.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\mods for those to large\sound\weapons\mantreads001.wav

That may or may not be the correct file name, but the path is correct. Make your own folder in the custom folder, name it absolutely anything. Even scout'sgottinyballslolol will work. Then inside that, copy the folder structures found in the vpk.

Here's a pic of my folder for reference.

-snip picture for space-

I was just having trouble finding the _dir.vp file. Thanks for guiding me through the process!

Archived