Opinions on Euthanasia(Assisted Suicide)

aaroncsn

So this has been quite a controversial topic with mixed opinions that mainly revolves around ethical issues.

Definition of Euthanasia.

Euthanasia refers to the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering normally carried out by clinicians.

My opinion on this is that if there is the consent of the person(Proven to be mentally capable), it can be seen as a gesture of mercy with the condition that the person is terminally ill. If the person is still in the early stage of the illness/ has not proven to have the illness but he/she is paranoid of it and doesn't want to go through with the agony, i will probably go against it. 

Do you think this practice should be continued? If yes, why? If not, why? Discuss

I gotta be honest. So long as everyone agrees (family, friends, etc.), and this is what the person wants, then this is absolutely an okay thing to do. Now obviously, you can't just take someone's word for it, when their family is all like, "no, wait, we don't want him to go." But if everyone can agree that this is the best course of action, then I think it should be open for consideration and such. 

Anyone who takes a 'moral high ground' and denies somebody what they want to do is only causing suffering. I wish people who do this would open their bloody eyes.

So long as the 'suicidee', as it were, is of conscious and clarative thought, i.e. has a damn good reason (terminal illness, etc), I don't see why we should obstruct them from doing as they wish. It's their body, their life, why do we get a say in it, even?

I could probably develop on this, but this is the tl;dr version.

just wondering, is this your homework/assignment/project from uni/college/high school?

Did this topic before for my Cambridge Pre U entry. Just curious about what people view of it.

We call it "assisted suicide".  It is legal in oregon.  I don't know about other states.

It should be allowed only if the patient requests it, has a terminal condition with no hope for recovery, and is suffering.

It is a matter of compassion.  We have no problem doing it to pets, and they can't even speak for themselves.  Why shouldn't we allow it for humans who ask for it?

So this has been quite a controversial topic with mixed opinions that mainly revolves around ethical issues.

Definition of Euthanasia.

Euthanasia refers to the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering normally carried out by clinicians.

My opinion on this is that if there is the consent of the person(Proven to be mentally capable), it can be seen as a gesture of mercy with the condition that the person is terminally ill. If the person is still in the early stage of the illness/ has not proven to have the illness but he/she is paranoid of it and doesn't want to go through with the agony, i will probably go against it. 

Do you think this practice should be continued? If yes, why? If not, why? Discuss

This topic scares me ;-;

I don't like death ;-;

I gotta be honest. So long as everyone agrees (family, friends, etc.), and this is what the person wants, then this is absolutely an okay thing to do. Now obviously, you can't just take someone's word for it, when their family is all like, "no, wait, we don't want him to go." But if everyone can agree that this is the best course of action, then I think it should be open for consideration and such. 

^This, If the person is suffering and wants to end the pain through death, it seems to be the best thing to do. Why let them suffer more if their chances of it ending (with them living), are so low or not possible?

Honestly, I think it is up to the sick person.

If the sick dude is in so much pain and really wants to end their own life, and doctors know it is terminal, so be it.

But if the doctors know the sickness can be cured, they shouldnt really allow it.

Honestly, I think it is up to the sick person.

If the sick dude is in so much pain and really wants to end their own life, and doctors know it is terminal, so be it.

But if the doctors know the sickness can be cured, they shouldnt really allow it.

And that works in countries where medical care is free. Over here in England, for example.

But, based on what I understand, let's add a little twist to this to get you thinking...

65% of American domestic bankruptcy is caused by medical bills. What if there's a cure but the patient can't afford it? What do you suggest happens then?

And that works in countries where medical care is free. Over here in England, for example.

But, based on what I understand, let's add a little twist to this to get you thinking...

65% of American domestic bankruptcy is caused by medical bills. What if there's a cure but the patient can't afford it? What do you suggest happens then?

Or if their family has to pay for it, and they lack certain morals.

Then its too bad.

If we're talking about euthanasia vs extended suffering, then I'd guess that assisted suicide is probably far more cost effective than than any other medical alternative in the vast majority of cases.

euthanasia has always existed, it's just prescribed in a covert fashion. anybody who is terminally ill and on any sort of pain management regime involving opioid analgesics is being euthanised.

the basis is that people are prescribed pain killers that have a rapid tolerance onset. the only way the medications will continue to work is by continually upping the dose until the point where the required effective dose reaches the point where the toxicity of the drug kills you. it's common for many terminal illnesses and people don't really know about it

Archived