Community Market Cap Questions!

neonchickens

So I have recently hit my market cap of 200 items sold on the Steam Community Market and to proceed any further it is asking to me enter my SS number, so naturally I have a few questions before throwing this information out into the ocean, even though I trust Steam with direct access to my bank account. First of all, is this truly legitimate that I have to provide this information to Steam before selling my items on the Community Market? Why do they need this information when I'm just selling cards and cases for pocket change? Is there anything that could happen as a result of me handing them this personal information?

If you live in the US it's required, and steam is likely trustable enough with your info.

Edit: They do it as a precaution due to some tax stuff and info with USA stuff.

They don't do anything with the info unless you are doing over 20k in value.

You will get a tax bill at the end of the year, with a varying amount depending on how much stuff you made. At least thta's what I heard, and that's why I don't use Scm :)

They still cap and ask for info even if you're not US citizen.

AFAIK you can choose to not fill up the tax info but you won't be able to sell more items in SCM.

You will get a tax bill at the end of the year, with a varying amount depending on how much stuff you made. At least thta's what I heard, and that's why I don't use Scm :)

Only if you go over that stupidly high total trade amount.

Only if you go over that stupidly high total trade amount.

It's 200 right? I've done at least 600 this year alone selling cards like an idiot,

I'm not making any profit at SCM, I cannot legitimately withdraw funds from my steam wallet to buy some real goods, so why the tax bill?

But as long as the limit is set to 20k, I don't care.

Archived