Self Harm

DiamondHavoc.

• Administrators

What are your opinions on it.

A little vague on the details don't ya think? Might want to throw in your opinions to get the thread going. Vague thread like this one hardly survives.

A little vague on the details don't ya think? Might want to throw in your opinions to get the thread going. Vague thread like this one hardly survives.

On phone right now, gonna be hard.

If they do it to seek attention and post pictures and stuff, I think its pointless.

Also if you're depressed, I don't see how little cuts help.

Also if you're depressed, I don't see how little cuts help.

By increasing pain somewhere else on the body, the idea is that you temporarily forget your emotional pain.

HIMO i dont see how scarring you self your life relives it why dont you just like stub your toe repeatedly so if you overcome that its not permanent 

HIMO i dont see how scarring you self your life relives it why dont you just like stub your toe repeatedly so if you overcome that its not permanent

People also repeatedly punch their stomachs and constantly "trip" down the stairs. Much easier to hide

By increasing pain somewhere else on the body, the idea is that you temporarily forget your emotional pain.

But then is permanent. It can change your life. Some people don't get jobs they interviewed for because of old scars.

People also repeatedly punch their stomachs and constantly "trip" down the stairs. Much easier to hide

I can see that plus it seems like you would ""forget" your emotional pain a lot longer 

I once knew a girl who told me that she would regularly cut herself.  I didn't really know what to say about it.  I tried asking her why she did it, but she couldn't give me any explanation.  So I just left it alone.  I never did figure out why she was doing it.  I assume it has something to do with being unhappy, but I really have no clue.

I once knew a girl who told me that she would regularly cut herself.  I didn't really know what to say about it.  I tried asking her why she did it, but she couldn't give me any explanation.  So I just left it alone.  I never did figure out why she was doing it.  I assume it has something to do with being unhappy, but I really have no clue.

I hope she's still alive today...

I hope she's still alive today...

Last I heard, she got pregnant right out of high school and got married.  So I assume she's still alive.  I should probably also point out that I never got any sense that she was even remotely suicidal.

Last I heard, she got pregnant right out of high school and got married.  So I assume she's still alive.  I should probably also point out that I never got any sense that she was even remotely suicidal.

Even if she didn't seem suicidal, the fact that she regularly cuts herself could lead to her possibly bleeding out.

Even if she didn't seem suicidal, the fact that she regularly cuts herself could lead to her possibly bleeding out.

Nah it's nothing like that.   It was all very superficial cuts.  More like scratches, really.  But deliberately inflicted.  You can't "bleed out" simply by breaking the surface of the skin unless you have haemophilia (a disorder preventing the clotting of blood).  Believe me, if I even suspected that it was anything that serious, I would have told someone.

Nah it's nothing like that.   It was all very superficial cuts.  You can't "bleed out" simply by breaking the surface of the skin unless you have haemophilia (a disorder preventing the clotting of blood).  Believe me, if I even suspected that it was anything that serious, I would have told someone.

Alright then. I'll trust your judgement this time.

Self harm may be good to deter yourself from things that are bad like alcohol, smoking, crimes etc. they are basically threatening themselves to not do it. if they will do something that is bad but they still want to do, they will get harmed. it's deterring them. and that's why i think self harm may be good.

also i'm not saying that alcohol and smoking are clearly bad. i just personally don't like them because they may cause dangers.

Personally, I think self-harm is absolutely disgusting. Why should anyone hut themselves to make their emotional pain go away? If they have problems, speak to someone about it rather than let it fuck up your life more and more.

Personally, I think self-harm is absolutely disgusting. Why should anyone hut themselves to make their emotional pain go away? If they have problems, speak to someone about it rather than let it fuck up your life more and more.

Wow this post is offensive...

Self harm is basically the same as taking up smoking, drugs, alcohol or even a sport. It is their way of "escaping" their emotional pain and the reason why they start these things is because the feel that they are alone in this world that no one can understand them or help them. To bring a example to this, a only child who constatly gets beat up by his/her abusing parent it isnt very easy for them to "speak to someone" because in their mind speaking to someone = get beat up even more. Eventually turning to one of the listed "escapes" above.

Note: I am against self harm and that no one should do it however, i find the way you seem to "judge" someone highly offensive. Thats basically walking up to a person who has been suffering depression for years to "suck it up and be happy" i.e. being a ignorant asshole

Wow this post is offensive...

Self harm is basically the same as taking up smoking, drugs, alcohol or even a sport. It is their way of "escaping" their emotional pain and the reason why they start these things is because the feel that they are alone in this world that no one can understand them or help them. To bring a example to this, a only child who constatly gets beat up by his/her abusing parent it isnt very easy for them to "speak to someone" because in their mind speaking to someone = get beat up even more. Eventually turning to one of the listed "escapes" above.

Note: I am against self harm and that no one should do it however, i find the way you seem to "judge" someone highly offensive. Thats basically walking up to a person who has been suffering depression for years to "suck it up and be happy" i.e. being a ignorant asshole

I didn't mean to make this post seem offensive, nor did I intend to come across as "an ignorant asshole". What I had intended for the post to mean is that someone who is self harming should seek help, no matter how difficult they find it. They should not have to feel the need to self harm to take emotional pain away.

I never thought about the example you have provided, nor had I intended to seem like a dick. I would like to say for that post that I am sorry for offending anyone and, yet again, I did not intend for it to be offensive.

EDIT: When I had said "disgusting" I had intended the meaning of it to be interpreted as "outrageous" however I can see it was misinterpreted.

I have a theory.  Supposedly the body releases endorphins to counteract pain.  Perhaps the goal of self harm is to get the body to release those endorphins.

I know plenty of people who have self-harmed and they are some of the nicest and most understanding people I've ever met. I also used to cut myself around 2 years ago, but I've pretty much moved past that. It's not really fair that people who have self-harmed are often looked down upon.

Nine times out of ten it's done to seek attention by being edgy

You're one of those people that think depression is a load of bs im guessing. Mental illnesses are very complex; don't always think that its just an act done by weak / attention seeking people.

You're one of those people that think depression is a load of bs im guessing. Mental illnesses are very complex; don't always think that its just an act done by weak / attention seeking people.

I never said it was

• 2 weeks later...

I know plenty of people who have self-harmed and they are some of the nicest and most understanding people I've ever met. I also used to cut myself around 2 years ago, but I've pretty much moved past that. It's not really fair that people who have self-harmed are often looked down upon.

Its brave of you to admit this. If you don't mind telling, did you figure out why you were doing it?

Archived