Recommendations for a gaming PC.

JayG

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I don't really have the time or the patience to build my own PC, and so I am looking for a ready made PC or a site on which you can customise a build and they'll do it for you. I'm looking for a PC which can smoothly run DayZ, Far Cry 3, Skyrim and of course Team Fortress 2 on high settings (I know everyone says this but it's 1AM and I can't think of many other games right now). When it comes to things like this I am clueless, so please be gentle!

Just a quick search and this came up: http://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBOX-Sharp-Shooter-Package-Operating/dp/B008LZGDUM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

...Is that a good starting point of what to look for, or should I just dive straight in and spend a fucktonne of money on a custom built PC? Right now £700 seems like the maximum I would want to spend.

I love you all, thanks for any guidance you may give. Literally anything you say will help, I know nothing...

But building computers is so much fun!

Besides, prebuilt computers

• are ~30% more expensive then buying the parts separate
  • have pretty bad graphics cards for their price (a 700 euro/900USD computer could easily have a 280X if you built it yourself instead of a 260X)
  • have shitty PSUs that are either bad quality or just not enough wattage
  • have too much RAM, which makes for a kind of unbalanced system
  • are noisy and have bad airflow with their 1337 gaymur cases

While you might be able to put up with those, it's just a much more pleasant experience building it yourself or even paying a professional to assemble your bought parts.

that being said, if you're still hellbent on buying a prebuilt, look at the other poster's links

Most of the opinions posted above range from either bad information from a poor purchase from an inexperienced consumer to being outright wrong.

With that being said, you are not going to get much of a "gaming rig" for 700 euros.

I'll agree you'll get more bang for your euro building it yourself, but there are plenty of PC vendors (some of them are posted above) out there that build quality rigs configured exactly how you'd like.

Too much RAM, LOL.

are ~30% more expensive then buying the parts separate

That is true, they do overprice it but some people may not know how to build a computer or may not want to so they buy from the companies for more. This is how the company can survive.

Margins are generally less than 30% from a competitive vendor.

Also, in that ~30%, you usually get free customer support (time duration varies), an OEM OS installed, decent packaging to get your rig to your door undamaged and pay for the labor of putting it together (properly).

Margins are generally less than 30% from a competitive vendor.

Also, in that ~30%, you usually get free customer support (time duration varies), an OEM OS installed, decent packaging to get your rig to your door undamaged and pay for the labor of putting it together (properly).

Generally, the customer service of the individual manufacturers is better than the bullshit service you get from the pc seller themselves. I.e. MSI, EVGA, Intel, G. Skill, Corsair, Crucial, Cooler Master, Western Digital....pretty much every well known pc component manufacturer excluding Asus has an AMAZING customer service department, which usually outclasses the cs from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Digital Storm, etc... 

All in all, you're much better off building a custom rig. 

Personally, I would build a custom computer. It will be cheaper and better.

Intel Build, and the way I would personally go. You could bump it down to 700gbp pretty easily by picking a cheaper case (NZXT Source 210), downgrading or losing the ssd altogether (although I wouldn't do this), and opting for an MSI r9 280x Twin Frozr.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£164.34 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£71.96 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£83.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Toxic Video Card  (£254.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  (£13.00) 
Total: £753.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 05:02 BST+0100

AMD Build, which I'd only consider as you could squeeze in an r9 290. 

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£117.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£75.86 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£83.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Toxic Video Card  (£254.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)  (£13.00) 
Total: £733.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 05:07 BST+0100

Good advice AwesomeMcCoolName.

The only thing I would change in either build is change to the WD Caviar Black and Windows 7 Pro (but that's just my preference).

Good advice AwesomeMcCoolName.

The only thing I would change in either build is change to the WD Caviar Black and Windows 7 Pro (but that's just my preference).

A black drive isn't that much faster than a blue. I'd rather save the money and put it towards an ssd. And, windows 8.1 is just better since you can get a copy for $21 USD from G2a.com

If you can bump your spending to 750 Euros that's enough to build a good gaming PC.  Have certs in A+, Networking+, Sercurity+ and CompTIA+ if you need someone to hold your hand through building a computer.  Just pm or add me (or not, I don't care).

The two builds by Awesome are alright but I don't see too much of a point in having an ssd, but to each his own.  And I would personally stick with Windows 7 since most games aren't really optimized for Windows 8 (Also had some problems with W8 deleting or moving files on its own)

Really, if you are in the market for building a gaming PC, I'd recommend...    (sorry, but all prices are in US dollars)

AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz/4.0 GHz Turbo

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler

Sapphire (AMD) Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 graphics card

PNY Optima 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM (for a dedicated GPU you don't need anything more)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Internal Hard Drive

MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ motherboard (full-size ATX, Micro-ATX will be in other/optional, cannot be used with Corsair Obsidian case)

(I have listed 3 cases if you like one better than the other)

Corsair Carbide series 300R Windowed case

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO "square" case

or

Corsair Obsidian series 350D Micro-ATX Case (only with Micro-ATX motherboard)

Corsair CX750M modular PSU (80 PLUS Bronze certified)

Asus 24x DVD-RW drive

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM copy (Not needed if installing any Linux variant)

OPTIONAL:

ASRock  880GM-LE FX Micro-ATX AM3+ motherboard (if preferred, works in all cases listed)

Samsung 840 EVO-Series 120GB Solid state drive

LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM drive

if anything else, write a response to this.

Really, if you are in the market for building a gaming PC, I'd recommend...    (sorry, but all prices are in US dollars)

AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz/4.0 GHz Turbo

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler

Sapphire (AMD) Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 graphics card

PNY Optima 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM (for a dedicated GPU you don't need anything more)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Internal Hard Drive

MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ motherboard (full-size ATX, Micro-ATX will be in other/optional, cannot be used with Corsair Obsidian case)

(I have listed 3 cases if you like one better than the other)

Corsair Carbide series 300R Windowed case

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO "square" case

or

Corsair Obsidian series 350D Micro-ATX Case (only with Micro-ATX motherboard)

Corsair CX750M modular PSU (80 PLUS Bronze certified)

Asus 24x DVD-RW drive

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM copy (Not needed if installing any Linux variant)

OPTIONAL:

ASRock  880GM-LE FX Micro-ATX AM3+ motherboard (if preferred, works in all cases listed)

Samsung 840 EVO-Series 120GB Solid state drive

LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM drive

if anything else, write a response to this.

Theres really no reason to go with a 7950 over an r9 280

AMD is supposedly going to slash FX pricing soon, so definitely don't get an FX chip right now (although, I'd personally stay away from FX chips)

He should go for at least 1600mhz ram 

mATX AM3+ boards are complete garbage. 

Disc drives are so unnecessary these days--especially a blu ray drive. 

@OP

If you really don't want to build one yourself, NCIX is running a back to school special on four systems

I'd go with the BTS2 and opt for NO graphics cards, which should bring the price down to $800~ USD, you can then just pick up an R9 280x (or an R9 290 if you can up your budget by $50~). This way you get a reasonably priced pre-built system, with excellent specs. 

Theres really no reason to go with a 7950 over an r9 280

AMD is supposedly going to slash FX pricing soon, so definitely don't get an FX chip right now (although, I'd personally stay away from FX chips)

He should go for at least 1600mhz ram 

mATX AM3+ boards are complete garbage. 

Disc drives are so unnecessary these days--especially a blu ray drive. 

@OP

If you really don't want to build one yourself, NCIX is running a back to school special on four systems

I'd go with the BTS2 and opt for NO graphics cards, which should bring the price down to $800~ USD, you can then just pick up an R9 280x (or an R9 290 if you can up your budget by $50~). This way you get a reasonably priced pre-built system, with excellent specs. 

Well, I kind of see your reasoning with the R9 over the HD 7950...

I also see the use of 1600 MHz RAM, but NEVER 2133 MHz UNLESS you EVER do an APU gaming rig.

If you can, use a flash drive and have a Windows 7 image on it. Otherwise use a disk drive for that. Outside of that, Blu-Ray drives aren't necessary, and as such, I listed it in optional.

Well, I kind of see your reasoning with the R9 over the HD 7950...

I also see the use of 1600 MHz RAM, but NEVER 2133 MHz UNLESS you EVER do an APU gaming rig.

If you can, use a flash drive and have a Windows 7 image on it. Otherwise use a disk drive for that. Outside of that, Blu-Ray drives aren't necessary, and as such, I listed it in optional.

Well, with the whole ram thing...higher speed rams aren't necessarily more expensive. I just built myself a black and blue rig, and G Skill Ripjaws X 2400mhz ram was the same price as 1600 and cheaper than 1866....so, thats just something to keep in mind. 

Archived