Unsolds: Acceptable proof?

Distinctively Vincent

Not sure if this has been touched on or not, but I do not see this as being applicable to unusual prices when lowering the price of an unusual. If an unusual has been on the market for at least two weeks preferably a month, and has a lower buyout than that of the current backpack.tf price, then I see it being deemed worthy of being used. However someone should also check if other trades are open and have received better offers in the past month.

Edit:

Actually I guess this is sort of what Vincent said about not using trades that are freshly made. Carry on.

I maybe wrong formulated , example with a suggestion for unusual hats I cited how good example  of joint work moderators and the community at large , " unsold" - very difficult to apply as evidence for unusual hats and falling prices for unusual hats occurred other reasons (that's another topic unrelated with " unsold" )

fjUET1B.jpg

problem i have with your suggestion is that when a price if say 4 ref, and i can find one or 2 trades open for 3.66, then there are most likely more examples out there. however since op killed the search for sold ones the proof can be hard to gather. by the time i can gather enough proof for it, its either back to 4 ref, or the price should be 3.66. i cant have enough time to get 3.66-4 because of how the suggested system would work.

or i had to stalk search form every hour or so, bookmarking several trades that can take up to a week to gather enough proof. and then the above problem will be valid there too

Given that example. If trades at 3.66 ref are that scarce, that indicates current price of 4 ref is working just fine and no change is needed. When the item becomes tougher to sell at 4 ref, the numbers looking to sell at 3.66 will increase, and at that point a price change will be in order.

Given that example. If trades at 3.66 ref are that scarce, that indicates current price of 4 ref is working just fine and no change is needed. When the item becomes tougher to sell at 4 ref, the numbers looking to sell at 3.66 will increase, and at that point a price change will be in order.

no, im saying that they are frequent enough. but they might sell in 5hours instead of 2 days. and searching every 5 hours for proof is hard and imo too much. but since im not gonna look through item ids in hope for the price, i cant gather enough for 3.66-4 untill its time for 3.66 alone

This is something I've seen regularly that gets easy votes. Most frequently seen on salvaged stranges, but not uncommon on regular items as well. The use of a pile of items for sale, marked as 'unsold', with either an arbitrary drop or the use of a number of quickbuyers to create a new low range. The latter might not even be seen if it's dropping an x-y range to x flat.

Is this acceptable? Unsolds, in my eyes, are inherently problematic. Since it typically involves outpost trades, in the case of non-donators, one has no idea how frequently they've been bumping. Even with donators, one has no idea how often they're online, if they've been online since they made their trade, if their steam online status actually means that they're at a keyboard ready to trade for a reasonable amount of time a day. And this is all assuming that the unsolds are appopriately days old and not just a listing of largely fresh trades to pad out the suggestion's proof section.

All in all, I've personally been seeing unsolds used poorly far more often than I've seen them used well. And, personally speaking, I'm not sure if they're even necessary. When an item is falling and currently depicted at a flat price, the existence of numerous seller trades for below flat price are a better indicator that a new ranged price is needed. When an item is falling and currently depicted at a ranged pirce, the abundance of seller trades at low range driving out the need for the high range can be used to make low range the new flat price.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Am I wrong? Am I just getting picky and trying to find an issue where none exists? Is leaving unsold-based suggestions open for a couple of days to see how the listed trades fare indeed acceptable practice? I would love to hear more thoughts on this matter.

The problem here is that this site needs more rules. The price of all the Botkillers droped based on unsold. Take a look at this one http://backpack.tf/vote/id/515f5f694bd7b8d449000012 . They killed the BK weps. 

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5189f8504bd7b8331100000a

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/515e2320ba2536875a000002

Your moderators killed an entire market.

And here comes another one with more unsolds trying to kill another BK. 

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51a7e8b5ba25364728000005

I agree with you. We need a rule on suggestions based on unsolds

Take a look at this one. It was accepted 6 days ago, with only unsold as proof. And 2 -3 days more than half are sold. These kind of price suggestions are hurting the market. This way you depreciates the price of something too fast. Nobody will buy something, if they believe the price will drop again in 1 week.

Something have to change. 

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51a000c14bd7b87e4b00000a

Archived