Computer Building

nil

Performance wise, i'd go with an i7 processor.

This ^^ Theres no need to compromise 

That budget is way over what you will need. You don't need all that ram and could get a cheaper motherboard. 

You can get desk, chair, monitor & all the peripherals 

Anyways you'll have a really nice computer once that is put together

This is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6bDkHx

Works perfectly for me at 1440p for just about every game.

And yes, if you want the highest quality, intel i7 is the way to go. Their processors are typically more expensive, but intel has more preformance than amd.

I recommend the I7-4820k or I7-4790k which are both in the price range of the chip you chose

Here are some comparisons between your chip and the intel chips I mentioned

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-4790K-vs-AMD-FX-9590

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-I7-4820k-vs-AMD-FX-9590

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-I7-4820k-vs-Intel-4790K

-snip-

Redid it using that cpu, had to change some other parts for compatibility.

$60 more which isn't much.

Thanks for the input, gonna play the waiting game and see where tech advances before 2015

Redid it using that cpu, had to change some other parts for compatibility.

$60 more which isn't much.

Thanks for the input, gonna play the waiting game and see where tech advances before 2015

• If you're sole purpose is gaming, then theres no reason to even get an i7 over an i5. An i7 is only better in a very small number of games that can actually utilize more than 4 cores. But 99% of games do not, and as such an i5 will perform identically to an i7 in pretty much any game. 
  • Unless you plan on editing/rendering or plan on doing some hard core multi tasking, then 8gb of ram is more than enough. 
  • Theres also no reason to get such an expensive motherboard. A $140~ motherboard will yield the same performance as a $200+ board. So unless you need some of the features theres no reason to spend that kind of money. (not sure what motherboard you picked now that you switched to intel from the 9590*.)
  • I'd also go for a Sapphire Vapor-X or Tri-X, but thats just me.
  • You should also look into the Phanteks Enthoo Pro instead of the Rosewill Thor; its an exceptional case especially when you consider it's only $100. 
  • I'd also get an EVGA SuperNOVA 750w psu instead. Its a better psu, and 750w is enough for a two-way crossfire. 
  • You can also get a copy of windows 8.1 from g2a.com for $21. I know plenty of people who buy from there and have been buying from there for quite a while and never had any issues.
  • I'd also consider just stepping up to a motherboard with built in wifi rather than spending $100 on an adapter, but you don't need to spend $100 or anywhere near that for a good adapter. (Do keep it mind, AC, more than likely won't benefit you over N. AC has a shorter range, and more than likely your internet speed is limited by your service, not your router or your network adapter). One more thing, if the computer is far from the router than AC will be advantageous as it tends to maintain its speed better over distance when compared with N as it focuses the signal on connected devices rather than just spreading the signal out in a spherical form.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($253.46 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X Video Card  ($559.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case  ($110.50 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($153.48 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($339.99 @ Amazon) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($97.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2214.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-13 22:07 EDT-0400

*P.s. the 9590 is a complete waste of money. The only FX chips to really consider are the 6300/8320/8350. (the 6300 being for tight budget builds). Regardless I'd take an i5 or i7 over an FX chip any day. 

• 2 weeks later...

i7-4790k used 100w less than the 9590 and has much better performance. Saves you $31 a year on electricity (doesn't seem like much but for better performance and cheaper on electricity is perfect).

If you're doing AMD, avoid the 9xxx series. Not worth it, especially when it's they're overclocked FX-8350s. Anyways, if you ARE doing AMD, do the FX 8320. 

• If you're sole purpose is gaming, then theres no reason to even get an i7 over an i5. An i7 is only better in a very small number of games that can actually utilize more than 4 cores. But 99% of games do not, and as such an i5 will perform identically to an i7 in pretty much any game. 
  • Unless you plan on editing/rendering or plan on doing some hard core multi tasking, then 8gb of ram is more than enough. 
  • Theres also no reason to get such an expensive motherboard. A $140~ motherboard will yield the same performance as a $200+ board. So unless you need some of the features theres no reason to spend that kind of money. (not sure what motherboard you picked now that you switched to intel from the 9590*.)
  • I'd also go for a Sapphire Vapor-X or Tri-X, but thats just me.
  • You should also look into the Phanteks Enthoo Pro instead of the Rosewill Thor; its an exceptional case especially when you consider it's only $100. 
  • I'd also get an EVGA SuperNOVA 750w psu instead. Its a better psu, and 750w is enough for a two-way crossfire. 
  • You can also get a copy of windows 8.1 from g2a.com for $21. I know plenty of people who buy from there and have been buying from there for quite a while and never had any issues.
  • I'd also consider just stepping up to a motherboard with built in wifi rather than spending $100 on an adapter, but you don't need to spend $100 or anywhere near that for a good adapter. (Do keep it mind, AC, more than likely won't benefit you over N. AC has a shorter range, and more than likely your internet speed is limited by your service, not your router or your network adapter). One more thing, if the computer is far from the router than AC will be advantageous as it tends to maintain its speed better over distance when compared with N as it focuses the signal on connected devices rather than just spreading the signal out in a spherical form.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($253.46 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X Video Card  ($559.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case  ($110.50 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($153.48 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($339.99 @ Amazon) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($97.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2214.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-13 22:07 EDT-0400

*P.s. the 9590 is a complete waste of money. The only FX chips to really consider are the 6300/8320/8350. (the 6300 being for tight budget builds). Regardless I'd take an i5 or i7 over an FX chip any day. 

I like this build, but save some money and buy the Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 (it's basically an underclocked i7 w.o hyperthreading and full overclocking capabilities and Intel HD Graphics)

I like this build, but save some money and buy the Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 (it's basically an underclocked i7 w.o hyperthreading and full overclocking capabilities and Intel HD Graphics)

An unlocked i5 is still better for gaming than a Xeon.

An unlocked i5 is still better for gaming than a Xeon.

maybe...

but the Xeon is not only cheaper, it can beat out the i5 when adjusted properly (Turbo mode...)

maybe...

but the Xeon is not only cheaper, it can beat out the i5 when adjusted properly (Turbo mode...)

Umm, no; not exactly. The 1220v3 is clocked quite a bit lower at 3.1ghz and only turbos up to 3.5ghz. Whereas the 4690k default speed is 3.5ghz and turbos up to 3.9ghz, and can usually be overclocked to 4.4-4.5ghz. 

The only benefit of the Xeon is hyperthreading, which isn't particularly advantageous in gaming. 

Umm, no; not exactly. The 1220v3 is clocked quite a bit lower at 3.1ghz and only turbos up to 3.5ghz. Whereas the 4690k default speed is 3.5ghz and turbos up to 3.9ghz, and can usually be overclocked to 4.4-4.5ghz. 

The only benefit of the Xeon is hyperthreading, which isn't particularly advantageous in gaming.

Clock rate sometimes doesn't mean anything. Well then again... eh, for the most part, the Intel HD Graphics will just take more power than needed. Eh.... it's all dependent on the builder.

Clock rate sometimes doesn't mean anything. Well then again... eh, for the most part, the Intel HD Graphics will just take more power than needed. Eh.... it's all dependent on the builder.

If you have a discrete gpu your iGPU isn't going to be taking anything away. Not to mention, even if you're running on the iGPU, the cpu will still be able to run at full power. And in gaming, once you have 4 cores, clock speed becomes MUCH more important than additional cores--Theres a reason why the dual core Pentium G3258 can keep up with the 4690k in many games; and why the 4790k only yields 1-2 fps more than the 4690k (in some games, in others it yields no difference).

Archived