Why is wearing seatbelt a law?

Bakgrund

If i want to live dangerously why not let me to? It's just the same thing as fucking someone you met at the harbour without a condom, you're taking a risk, so why is it not allowed to take a risk and not wear a seatbelt when it's only affecting you, and nobody else?

What's your take on this? Personally I think it's stupid to let people take risk in just some certain situations.

I really don't think it's a law that's taken seriously. I've never seen anyone get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. But like you said. it's "dangerous" to not wear a seat belt; not "dangerous" like getting someone pregnant, but endangering your own life.

Why do you want to risk dying at absolutely no benefit in the first place?

Personally I always wear a seatbelt when I'm in a car, but I still think it's a stupid law, like why are you not allowed to take own decisions that only affect yourself? Isn't that stupid?

If you think getting into an accident and injuring yourself or possibly killing yourself only affects you, then you are a selfish person. Remember that your life is valued by your family and your friends and what affects you can possibly affect them.

I really don't think it's a law that's taken seriously. I've never seen anyone get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. But like you said. it's "dangerous" to not wear a seat belt; not "dangerous" like getting someone pregnant, but endangering your own life.

There are other risks with having sex without a condom if you didn't know that :P

But while you're dead you won't be costing anything.

I suppose, but I suppose if there wasn't a law, some idiots would riot or something thinking governments didn't care about their people's lives

There are other risks with having sex without a condom if you didn't know that :P

Yes, but you don't die instantly from HIV

Yes, but you don't die instantly from HIV

Wow these forums are wierd. It takes 10 posts to go from seatbelt laws to sexual diseases

Well the Government forced the auto-industry to make the cars we drive safer.  Might as well force people to use said safety features.

Not true, someone has to scrub you out of I-90, and the car you flew out of isn't gonna move itself to the scrapyard.

My dad got pulled over and fined because my brother wasn't wearing his seat belt, even though my dad (the driver) was. He got fined like $50.00

If not wearing a seat belt is against the law, which by the way only affects you, then smoking should have been banned ages ago. It hurts everyone around you not only yourself.

Incredibly interesting. Never thought this myself. Thanks for bringing this up :D

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101111094812AA5H4c2

"And the answer is, in fact, a pretty big financial one. People who don't wear seatbelts and get involved in motor vehicle collisions tend overwhelmingly to be uninsured (so now the costs of your medical care will be passed on to us in terms of higher insurance premiums.) 

And even if you've got insurance, you won't die in your back yard. You'll die on a public roadway, forcing the taxpayers to absorb the costs of a) a lengthy accident investigation by the police B) the economic drain of traffic delays and detours c) the additional cost of traffic enforcement and engineering studies on what may become a "highway safety corridor" because you chose that spot to die and d) the cleanup costs to the highway department, which now must safely remove your blood, broken glass, vehicle remains and whatever was left of that Slurpee you were drinking when you were transferred to the Eternal Care Unit. "

Basically the government doesn't want to pay for your fuck up. Drive safe =  less costs to clean up after your accident.

My dad got pulled over and fined because my brother wasn't wearing his seat belt, even though my dad (the driver) was. He got fined like $50.00

If not wearing a seat belt is against the law, which by the way only affects you, then smoking should have been banned ages ago. It hurts everyone around you not only yourself.

If the person not wearing the seat-belt is under 18 the driver receives the ticket due to them being responsible for the minors safety.  If you are under 18 in my car you are wearing a seat-belt.  If you are 18+ I don't care, enjoy your ticket.

Well, it isn't only affecting you, if the hit is really strong you can go flying in the car and smash people heads, in that case it will cause death to you + other people in the car.

If you are alone, do whatever you want.

In Virginia you can only be ticketed for not having a seatbelt on as a secondary offense. Meaning they have to pull you over and ticket you for something else first. Mostly, from what I've seen in practice seatbelt laws are mostly there to make money through extra tickets.

Your original question is like asking why we have speed limits....

Most people don't die instantly. The cost of injuries / deaths from car accidents is enormous for the government. In countries outside the U.S., where things are government run, the cost of medical treatment / hospital care gets put squarely on the the government. Even in the U.S., for everyone who is uninsured or covered through Medicaid or Medicare, the bill is paid by the government. In the end it is not only much more cost effective (and saves tax payer dollars for things like schools) if you enforced safety laws like speed limits and safety belts, but it also saves lives, particularly the lives of the most productive work force that generates most of the countries GDP (people 18-50 years old).

you've obviously never lived in florida ... the governor passed a law three years ago that made it legal to stop people if the policeman/state trooper or sheriff *thinks* you are not wearing your seatbelt.

personally, i think it is a stupid law but its one that makes a ton of money for the state or county... about $125 a pop.

Archived