New laptop for gaming/college.

JollyDoctor

Hey guys, basically I start college on my birthday, around the same time I'm getting a new laptop. The original idea was to get a gaming desktop and takes notes and shit on my iPad when I have to go lectures, but after a debate with the folks we decided to meet halfway and get a laptop that I can take with me to college lectures, and play the games I want to play.

This is the laptop I've chosen, staying within the 1500$ budget I was given. NOTE: The games I'll be playing the most are along the lines of; CS:GO, TF2, Guild Wars 2, and possibly Wildstar if I can convince myself to buy it. Generally whenever new games like Borderlands and stuff comes out I'd like to play it on max setting about 50-60 FPS.

The laptop is build from iBuyPower, and the series is the Batallion 101:

1 x Battalion 101 W370SS 17.3" Full HD Display 1920x1080 Laptop

1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ Mobile Processor (4x 2.8GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

1 x 8GB [8GB x 1] 1600MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - G.SKILL

1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [W370SS]

1 x [FREE] - Turtle Beach Z1 Headset - FREE with ALL iBUYPOWER Systems ($29 Value)

1 x [FREE] - McAfee Antivirus PLUS 2014 - FREE with any System ($49 Value)

1 x [Free] - Universal Travel Power Adaptor - FREE with any Laptop

1 x 256 GB mSATA SSD - OS Drive (Primary Drive)

1 x 1 TB 5400rpm Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive - Single Drive

1 x 8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 16x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [W370SS]

1 x Built-in 9-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]

1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard + Build-in Subwoofer

1 x Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN [Laptop]

1 x Intel Advanced-N 6235 802.11 a/g/n 300Mbps Dual-Band Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo

1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

1 x Built-in 2x USB 2.0 + 2x USB 3.0 + 1x USB 3.0 / eSATA Combo Ports [Laptop]

1 x Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera

1 x Standard Warranty Service - Standard One(1) Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support

Do you think it's efficient and will get the job done? Obviously if I spent the money on a desktop I'd be doing much better, but hey, compromises have to be made.

oh god only show the important specs that right there is a clusterfuck to the eyes

Anyways, get a lenovo y50, it's got the same specs, about 300$ cheaper

oh god only show the important specs that right there is a clusterfuck to the eyes

Lenovo's have very shoddy reviews, hence why I strayed away from them. I like the Batallion101 because you pick everything you want down to the detail.

Only thing that I don't like is I can't get anything higher than the 860M, which isn't bad because it's still a good card, but not as high as I'd like.

It should be able to get the job done. No need really for the second network card or the mSATA SSD OS drive. Upgrade to a 1tb HDD with 7200rpm rather than 1tb with 5200rpm and put the OS on there. It won't take up more than 50gb.

Lenovo's have very shoddy reviews, hence why I strayed away from them. I like the Batallion101 because you pick everything you want down to the detail.

Only thing that I don't like is I can't get anything higher than the 860M, which isn't bad because it's still a good card, but not as high as I'd like.

If you want a customizable laptop with something higher than an 860M, try getting a Sager. They're also cool because they're not all flashy and gigantic like Alienware, but have great build quality. This model looks up your alley.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP8258

You can buy and amazing gaming Desktop for $1000 and buy a mini Laptop for like $250.  Should do that over blowing $1500 on a craptacular gaming Laptop.

You can buy and amazing gaming Desktop for $1000 and buy a mini Laptop for like $250.  Should do that over blowing $1500 on a craptacular gaming Laptop.

I agree, if your parents are letting you spend up to $1500 on this, you should try to avoid the 2 in 1 use for the laptop,

since technology and cost for them are still limited.

~$1100 on a really really nice desktop + ~$400 on a nice laptop.

I agree, if your parents are letting you spend up to $1500 on this, you should try to avoid the 2 in 1 use for the laptop,

since technology and cost for them are still limited.

~$1100 on a really really nice desktop + ~$400 on a nice laptop.

this pls

If you have to get a gaming laptop, go for the sager. You could get an identical one, except with an 870m, for like the same price.

And much thinner and sexy :3

Written from my lenovo y50

Archived