Price Fixing? Really?

JaGo

The activity seen in the linked price suggestion below is is a clear violation of the spirit of backpack.tf. I can't tell you how many times I've read "We don't set prices, we only report on them." The example below lends a bit of weight to what many say about the admins of this site, that they manipulate price based on their own beliefs...not necessarily what the market is doing. You cannot preach one thing and do another if you want to keep your credebility. I would hope that Brad would have a conversation with this admin and at the very least enforce a suspension for a time. I honestly could not believe what I was reading. You can say what you want about his reasoning behind it, but this site is for reporting on current prices, not policing the mannconomy for "sharks".

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/519675b4ba25361c04000002

He's stopping sharking, how is that fixing?

I thought my post was pretty clear and obvious. Apparently not for some...

If you bothered to read the entire text, you will notice that he accepted that suggestion with NO PROOF whatsoever that the market supported that price. He also even stated "we can refine the price later". Again, backpack.tf admins have stated countless times that they only report prices of the market. This was clearly not the case in this instance.

well you can just sell a key for $2 on the market, and buy 2 bp expanders in the store. 

I think you missed the point. This isn't about what the price of a back pack expander is or should be. It's about the integrity of the site and it's admins.

They are 80% off I believe. The admins don't want people to waltz onto this website, and see that it goes for 2.5 Keys, and have somebody lose a lot because of it.

If their is possibly a mass murderer ahead with a machine gun, I would like a precautionary warning. The admins don't want people getting sharked. 

I think you missed the point. This isn't about what the price of a back pack expander is or should be. It's about the integrity of the site and it's admins.

I understand where you're coming from. Prices should never be changed without proof, and they normally aren't. HOWEVER, its clear the old price was way too high, and newer traders would end up getting suckered into bad deals by traders who actually pay attention to updates. 

If the change wasn't made the more experienced traders/traders who pay attention to updates would try and sell theirs off quickly at 1.5-2 keys, and these newer unaware traders would assume there an easy 1 key profit to be made and buy em up. 

So, in these kind of cases, i think what bptf did was perfectly just (and in-fact warranted).

They are 80% off I believe. The admins don't want people to waltz onto this website, and see that it goes for 2.5 Keys, and have somebody lose a lot because of it.

If their is possibly a mass murderer ahead with a machine gun, I would like a precautionary warning. The admins don't want people getting sharked. 

I understand where you're coming from. Prices should never be changed without proof, and they normally aren't. HOWEVER, its clear the old price was way too high, and newer traders would end up getting suckered into bad deals by traders who actually pay attention to updates. 

So, in these kind of cases, i think what bptf did was perfectly just (and in-fact warranted).

So price fixing is OK as long as you've got (what you think) is a good reason? You can't believe what you just stated?

So price fixing is OK as long as you've got (what you think) is a good reason? You can't believe what you just stated?

Circumstances: An event or fact that causes or helps to cause something to happen, typically something undesirable.

Craftable scarves and boots all over again. Price was not "fixed" it was altered due to the sale event. If you think the price is wrong, please just make a new suggestion. If this is too hard to understand then I don't really know what to tell you.

Look, this happened before with the clean scarves, this is nothing new. This is the kind of sale that requires immediate action from our staff to ensure no one is getting scammed by purchasing items much more expensive than they are worth. If you're not happy with the price, please create a new suggestion and everyone will be more than happy to vote on it.

It may not be the ideal solution, but at the moment it's the best we can do. We'll work on improving the system in the future where a warning could be shown instead of updating the price, but this feature doesn't exist at this time.

Circumstances: An event or fact that causes or helps to cause something to happen, typically something undesirable.

Yes, the circumstances that led to the acceptance of that price suggestion I linked were VERY undesirable. Now argue your opinion with actual statements that support your side of the debate, or please just fade away.

Yes, the circumstances that led to the acceptance of that price suggestion I linked were VERY undesirable. Now argue your opinion with actual statements that support your side of the debate, or please just fade away.

Leave old price alone

• Pros
    • ​People like you are happy. 
    • More experience/knowledgable traders profit (by taking advantage)
  • Cons
    • Newer traders get screwed
    • Completely off-balance trades occur

"Fix" the price

• Pros
    • People like you get pissed. (Yes, i love seeing sharks squirm)
    • Newer traders don't get misled/taken advantage
  • Cons
    • Experienced traders can't sell backpack expanders for far more than its worth. 

Look, this happened before with the clean scarves, this is nothing new. This is the kind of sale that requires immediate action from our staff to ensure no one is getting scammed by purchasing items much more expensive than they are worth. If you're not happy with the price, please create a new suggestion and everyone will be more than happy to vote on it.

Brad, this is your site. Obviously you will run it how you like, but this kind of behavior is BAD when this site is supposed to be about market price. The market did not shift that quickly, at least not until your admin forced the price change. This is the same issue that many traders took with that "other" price list before your site came to be. It seems backpack.tf is no better.

Regards,

Thanks for the feedback, I've already acknowledged that it wasn't the ideal solution. I think we've reached the end of this conversation. 

Archived