What do i do if someone threatens to report me with several accounts?

The Last Ginger

He Made a sincere Apology, I am deleting anything with his name on it as people have added him only to ridicule and mock him

• Administrators

Can I create a ticket or report to steam rep? I still have the chat-window up and can screenshot if nessessary.

Yes, screenshot everything. I will come back with more detailed answer.

Nobody really cares about the pop-up you get from many people reporting you. It's 90% of the time a bunch of butt hurt kids reporting you for no legit reason. Just ignore him, consider him an idiot, and have the last laugh.

"Don't add me again"

Guess he just learned how to block someone.

Doubt he even got the knowledge on how to make another account, I wouldn't worry about him. Block him also and ignore the threat.

Nobody really cares about the pop-up you get from many people reporting you. It's 90% of the time a bunch of butt hurt kids reporting you for no legit reason. Just ignore him, consider him an idiot, and have the last laugh.

From the trades I've been in, many of the people with the pop-up scammer tags have turned out to be scammers, after doing a quick check of their steamrep

Yes, screenshot everything. I will come back with more detailed answer.

thank you and I anxiously await your reply. To help, I got a screenshot:[Deleted]

• Administrators

Regardless of the credibility of the threat, what should I do if this person threatens to report me for harrassment and scamming? I added him to ask about what he sold an unusual for, and he got angry very vast

Can I create a ticket or report to steam rep? I still have the chat-window up and can screenshot if nessessary.

Also, would something like this get me a scammer tag that pops up whenever someone tries to trade me in steam? I was always under the impression that if you got enough scammer reports, you would be tagged as a scammer (in Steam that is, not SteamRep)

If i posted this the wrong place, I'm sorry, but where should I post?
 Thank you in advance!

Just read the whole thing now. It isn't worth dealing with people like them. Just ignore him and move on.

Now to answer your other questions :

If enough people reports you on Steam, you get the scam notification pop up...Its nothing to worry about. Its pretty much useless automated service made by Valve and people tend to abuse that automated system. It goes away after 2 to 3 weeks. 

Nah, its fine that you posted in this forum.

EVERY major trading bot I've dealt with has the little warning. Friends that have been on my friends list for years have had it for a bit. The little warning goes away after a like 3 weeks

dont worry about it, anyone with eyes can see it's just some pissed off butthurt kid, and that you did nothing to warrant a ban

• Administrators

thank you and I anxiously await your reply. To help, I got a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/oTA9UQj.png?1

Read it all, not worth wasting time over the kid. He seems like one of those butthurt kid who likes accusing people for no reason whatsoever. If you don't want to deal with him again, block and move on.

• Administrators

From the trades I've been in, many of the people with the pop-up scammer tags have turned out to be scammers, after doing a quick check of their steamrep

Perhaps a coincidence. 99.99% of the time, its a useless notification from steam and at the end that person actually did nothing at all, his/her steamrep or anything is clean and whatnot.

If you deal with bots, especially site bots like scrap.tf you will see that you get the same notification when you deal with them, why? Because some people decided to abuse the system and report the bots for no reason. Now those bots constantly gets the notification pop up whenever someone trades with them.

Just read the whole thing now. It isn't worth dealing with people like them. Just ignore him and move on.

Now to answer your other questions :

If enough people reports you on Steam, you get the scam notification pop up...Its nothing to worry about. Its pretty much useless automated service made by Valve and people tend to abuse that automated system. It goes away after 2 to 3 weeks. 

Nah, its fine that you posted in this forum.

So wait, it goes away after 2-3 week? I was under the impression that once you got it, then I would have it permanently. What about an actual scammer, would they have to continously get scamming reports to keep the pop-up scammer tag?

So wait, it goes away after 2-3 week? I was under the impression that once you got it, then I would have it permanently. What about an actual scammer, would they have to continously get scamming reports to keep the pop-up scammer tag?

again i gotta say thank you so much, but I got one more question to add before I go: how long would it take for the scammer tag to take effect, (if of course this threat was credible) would it be almost instant? and then it would wear off if there was no proof of scamming?

• Administrators

Yes, it goes away after 2 to 3 weeks, no the notification does not stay for permanently.

As far as I know...Valve usually trade bans major scammers permanently or put minor scammers on trade probation.

again i gotta say thank you so much, but I got one more question to add before I go: how long would it take for the scammer tag to take effect, (if of course this threat was credible) would it be almost instant? and then it would wear off if there was no proof of scamming?

If you get that notification pop-up no need to worry. Just keep on trading, almost nobody cares about it because everyone knows that it can be abused very easily and anyone can get that scam notification on steam.

If you have suspicion on a person... Just check if the users is clean simply by putting the user's Steam URL on this site : http://rep.tf/

That site gives you overall view of the user, its very useful, very fast and simple to use.

So you were lowballing a unusual of him, that's why he got mad? Also Steam reporting actually WORKS, if you have a pretty good evidence of a guy scamming/ trying to scam you and you post the proof to Steam, those guys gonna get trade banned, but it only applies for "general scam" with no community-based trading parameters, what do I mean for this? Valve doesn't give a damn of how much does people value buds,the price of buds is community based , for Valve buds = an unmarketable misc that's all, you can't report "someone scammed me my buds" if the guy bought some buds from you for a genuine hat and some weps, for Valve's eyes that's legit,its a misc for a hat plus weps.

An all that "social" reports doesn't work for crap, Valve is okay with griefers, trolls, and people who harrass other's,aslong as their activities doesn't involve some kind of hacking or phishing.

So you were lowballing a unusual of him, that's why he got mad?

I wasn't buying anything from him, I was asking him what he sold his unusual for, since the guy he sold it to was trying to "quicksell" it to me, but It didn't have a backpack.tf price ( I know, you go off of what people are selling for, not just backpack.tf), but I wanted to find some previous sales. I wanted to make sure I was making and educated decision when deciding whether or not to accept his "quicksell"

I wasn't buying anything from him, I was asking him what he sold his unusual for, since the guy he sold it to was trying to "quicksell" it to me, but It didn't have a backpack.tf price ( I know, you go off of what people are selling for, not just backpack.tf), but I wanted to find some previous sales. I wanted to make sure I was making and educated decision when deciding whether or not to accept his "quicksell"

yeah and how will it matter for how much did the previous owner sold the hat for, if you are gonna buy it from the new owner? So the new owner has to be losing, by selling it cheaper for what he bought if for, in order for you to buy it? Seems more that you were asking for previous price to make a price suggestion of a hat that you don't own rather than actually buying it.

If the hat was quicksold or not by the past owner it won't matter,you won't be able to buy it for that anymore, who sets the price is the current owner.

And yeah everyone hates being randomly added by a guy to ask for how much you sold an item, is like in real life some strange guy knocks your door and ask for how much you sold your previous old car, in those cases the answer " fuck off" sounds pretty logical

• Administrators

yeah and how will it matter for how much did the previous owner sold the hat for, if you are gonna buy it from the new owner? So the new owner has to be losing, by selling it cheaper for what he bought if for, in order for you to buy it? Seems more that you were asking for previous price to make a price suggestion of a hat that you don't own rather than actually buying it.

If the hat was quicksold or not by the past owner it won't matter,you won't be able to buy it for that anymore, who sets the price is the current owner.

And yeah everyone hates being randomly added by a guy to ask for how much you sold an item, is like in real life some strange guy knocks your door and ask for how much you sold your previous old car, in those cases the answer " fuck off" sounds pretty logical

No, offense you sound just like the guy the original poster added. Also, this is different from real life items.

If you are talking about suggesting prices....I don't see what is the problem if I am suggesting prices and add a person to verify the sale, yes it would be nice if you could let the person know on one of his/her trade page/profile comments if the person allows you to leave a comment on steam profile page but if the person does not allow any of those, you have no choice but to directly add him/her.

No, offense you sound just like the guy the original poster added. Also, this is different from real life items.

If you are talking about suggesting prices....I don't see what is the problem if I am suggesting prices and add a person to verify the sale, yes it would be nice if you could let the person know on one of his/her trade page/profile comments if the person allows you to leave a comment on steam profile page but if the person does not allow any of those, you have no choice but to directly add him/her.

it stopped being different when these items start worthing real life money, and also no offense but the OP and you sound quite whiny, submitting a steam rep ticket because YOU random added a guy to ask for how much he sold a unusual, and he answered you to fuckoff sounds pretty childish.

My last suggestion is DON'T random add people to ask for their trade history, and if you still want to do it, expect those type of answers as well as insta-unfriends/blocks,just  move on

• Administrators

it stopped being different when these items start worthing real life money, and also no offense but the OP and you sound quite whiny, submitting a steam rep ticket because YOU random added a guy to ask for how much he sold a unusual, and he answered you to fuckoff sounds pretty childish.

My last suggestion is DON'T random add people to ask for their trade history, and if you still want to do it, expect those type of answers as well as insta-unfriends/blocks,just  move on

I guess you took me the wrong way.

Original poster never said that he wanted to submit a steamrep report or anything in fact that person threatened the original poster to report him for no reason whatsoever, that is why he asked here for advice. He felt harassed and threatened by the person he added. 

What the original poster added for was because he wanted to make sure he was making an educated decision, that I can agree with that you shouldn't add people just to see what the person has sold his/her hat for so you can buy it cheaper from the current owner.

If you are trying to price the item on this website and can't figure out what exactly the item sold for, I don't see why you shouldn't add people at all, I have, many times just to make sure of the sale, none of them had any problems with it and I don't see why you should. You are helping the community by pricing the item instead of leaving others confused and wondering what the price might be but adding the previous owner to know what he sold for so that you can buy it cheaper from current one is indeed very wrong.  :P

I guess you took me the wrong way.

Original poster never said that he wanted to submit a steamrep report or anything in fact that person threatened the original poster to report him for no reason whatsoever, that is why he asked here for advice. He felt harassed and threatened by the person he added. 

What the original poster added for was because he wanted to make sure he was making an educated decision, that I can agree with that you shouldn't add people just to see what the person has sold his/her hat for so you can buy it cheaper from the current owner.

If you are trying to price the item on this website and can't figure out what exactly the item sold for, I don't see why you shouldn't add people at all, I have, many times just to make sure of the sale, none of them had any problems with it and I don't see why you should. You are helping the community by pricing the item instead of leaving others confused and wondering what the price might be but adding the previous owner to know what he sold for so that you can buy it cheaper from current one is indeed very wrong.  :P

thank you for your support, but I wasn't going to lowball just because I found out what he bought it for, I just wanted to make sure that what I was buying wasn't a risky buy. Now I know that I shouldn't base my decision off of only the sale to him, but I wanted to be a bit more knowledgeable about what this sold for in the first place, since there were many varying prices on outpost, and many seemed to be new trades with very little offers to go off of. I ended up declining his price, since it was too much of a risk and there was little evidence of what it sold for, but I didn't lowball his trade offer.

Also as an edit: The person that threatened to report me made a sincere apology in one of my outpost trades, And i have deleted both the screenshot off of imgur and the chat log I copy/pasted into chat, since he claims a person came from this forum and ridiculed him for his actions. I should have taken the time to edit the picture and hide his name before i made this thread.

Have a good day everyone, and thank you for your help!

Archived