Moving my Operating System

(ES) Mr. Bigglesworth

So, I am buying a new computer, and I was wondering if I could save the 150 bucks of a new operating system by moving my current one to the new machine. My current operating system is Windows 8 - 64 bit(6.2, build 9200)

Are you planning on moving Hard Drives?

no, as my compuetr right now is a laptop, and i'm building a desktop. If i could remove my current one there is no reason for me to get rid of it, it's only 8 months old.

To be able to do that

You will need the ios image on a dvd or usb drive. Use the dvd that came with your current OS because without a key or an msdn subscription getting the image is impossible. 

You will also need to get the current product key off your computer. It isn't hard to get and if needed there are 3rd party software available to do that.

However if your current pc OS was oem or the key was mass distributed, such as msdn, it will be impossible. 

dang, because the operating system came with the computer, but there is so indication as far as I can see that it is OEM or MSDM

SURE, i did it twice, phone em up! If it doesn't happen first time, phone again to get a different representative. They'll refresh your licence key.

Archived