A subreddit, please?

thatguydann

Hey guys.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who browses reddit absolutely compulsively.

My opinion, but I think a reddit community would be pretty cool.

You know, Brad Pitt or whoever could post weekly/monthly/daily bp.tf update info. We'll all upvote it.

As well as that, we could also make massive discussions about pricing. Have heated debates over what a key is worth.

Or we could just post pictures of our cats wearing silly hats.

Of course, we'd only all subscribe and post to the backpack.tf official subreddit, and not just any old Joe-Blogg's subreddit.

I know I'd certainly like this, but I'm not sure what the rest of the backpack community out there would think!

So, what do you think, backpack.tf?

PS: If a subreddit culture already exists, I'd be happy to delete this and follow any links provided.

I frequent some subreddits, but would consider a bp.tf subreddit to be too similar to these forums.  I don't see anything major that sets a subreddit apart from what is currently in place and I think it'd cannibalize the community's current discussions.  For official announcements, we have the ones listed on the homepage of bp.tf and for discussions, we have the forums.

Can you think of any differences?

Why subreddit and not subforum. Why trying to copy another site that is full of circlejerks ?

Are you bitter about the fact that you got tagged and banned by /r/tf2trade? And the fact that you then proceeded to make numerous alts (over 20, at last check) to try and circumvent the ban?

EDIT: To clarify, this is not intended as a personal attack. The tone is intended to be straightforward, and it is a serious question.

Are you bitter about the fact that you got tagged and banned by /r/tf2trade? And the fact that you then proceeded to make numerous alts (over 20, at last check) to try and circumvent the ban?

EDIT: To clarify, this is not intended as a personal attack. The tone is intended to be straightforward, and it is a serious question.

. No just want to know why we we want to have a subreddit and not subforum

. No just want to know why we we want to have a subreddit and not subforum

Subreddits have the additional benefit over forums of

a) group filtered content, where if a post or link is not relevant or whatnot, it will be downvoted.

b ) A sidebar, where all relevant information can be posted rather than a single post that can be pinned

c) People can submit links, rather than only posts, allowing for interesting articles and whatnot to be submitted.

d) People can also submit everything they feel is relevant, rather than having to consider various sub-fora and if it goes in there.

e) Easier to moderate. Just need some basic CSS to get a looot of features.

f) Easy to link to other sites. Just like the little stuff under your name, with your backpack, Steamrep, and steam itself, that can be tagged to a user. Flairs can also be assigned, so that Brad would have Brad (Backpack.tf creator) easily and clearly visible, without any of the fancy stars buisness.

g) The creator of the post can be clearly identified, to prevent impersonation.

h) Comments can also be upvoted/downvoted, and with recognizable consequences. This is the most important part, imo. People will subconsciously alter their behavior if they realize their actions can be tied directly to them, but even more so if there are immediate as well as reinforcing consequences. Imagive if every time you upvoted a price correctly, you got a ref. And every time you were wrong, you lost a ref. Strong incentive to vote, no? Now, replace vote with create a post. Now, you have a strong incentive to not only submit a price suggestion, but also accurate ones. Reddit's karma system may be valueless, but people will still subconsciously respond to it.

a) group filtered content, where if a post or link is not relevant or whatnot, it will be downvoted.

g) The creator of the post can be clearly identified, to prevent impersonation.

h) Comments can also be upvoted/downvoted, and with recognizable consequences. This is the most important part, imo. People will subconsciously alter their behavior if they realize their actions can be tied directly to them, but even more so if there are immediate as well as reinforcing consequences. Imagive if every time you upvoted a price correctly, you got a ref. And every time you were wrong, you lost a ref. Strong incentive to vote, no? Now, replace vote with create a post. Now, you have a strong incentive to not only submit a price suggestion, but also accurate ones. Reddit's karma system may be valueless, but people will still subconsciously respond to it.

a) ideally yes.  but any reddit user comes to realize that the votes are unfortunately based more on opinion than relevance.

.g) I have 5 or 6 reddit accounts and can make another in a minute (including impersonator accounts)

c) The subconscious desire to please the hivemind also leads to monotonous circlejerks.

I just don't see it as a necessary compliment to the forums.

a) ideally yes.  but any reddit user comes to realize that the votes are unfortunately based more on opinion than relevance.

.g) I have 5 or 6 reddit accounts and can make another in a minute (including impersonator accounts)

c) The subconscious desire to please the hivemind also leads to monotonous circlejerks.

I just don't see it as a necessary compliment to the forums.

Nor do I. My personal opinion is that a subreddit would be unecessary. However, the question was what are the benfits of a subreddit.

Regardless of how useful it would be or not, I registered /r/backpacktf and I'm more than willing to hand it over to Brad should he want to use it. I registered it so some idiot doesn't take the name.

Archived