Steam level

Overwatch Elite

I'm 100, and it cost me way 2 much.

I also got 1000 games, that hurt my bp value.

I'm 100, and it cost me way 2 much.

I also got 1000 games, that hurt my bp value.

how much did it cost you to get to level 100?

Why do people care about levels? :S

Bragging rights.

And it's like a rank. Private to General.

But like I said it's more for bragging rights and it just looks cool.

if you buy cards for a scrap,maybe like 50-60 keys~ probably even less

I paid 1key per 2 packs from a bunch of providers I had for a couple of weeks. Took a while for them to get the packs, however - in the end it was tough ^^ Unsure what prices are at, guess it's pretty similar, perhaps cheaper a few crappy packs in the start.

Also you need more XP the higher level.

Think it's closer to 500-600 than 50-60...

My current level is 40, how much will it cost me to get to 100?

Correction: 3v1lcl0ne3 is right, it's 450 cards from 40 to 100.

5 crafts per level (5 x 10 levels = 50) to get to 50,

60 crafts to 60

70 crafts to 70

80 crafts to 80

90 crafts to 90

100 crafts to 100

450 crafts total

1 badge = 5 crafts

so you'll need 90 badges.

Average price per set if you go for the cheapest 90 badges is .66 USD per set. You need to craft each set 5 times to complete each badge.

so, ~297 USD to reach level 100.

I paid 1key per 2 packs from a bunch of providers I had for a couple of weeks. Took a while for them to get the packs, however - in the end it was tough ^^ Unsure what prices are at, guess it's pretty similar, perhaps cheaper a few crappy packs in the start.

Also you need more XP the higher level.

Think it's closer to 500-600 than 50-60...

lol i get 78 cards per key (k,when i started bout 68,keys rose since then)

i am level 110,and i started buying for scraps at like lv 40~ (winter sale) 

50 keys * 78 cards / 7 (average set) = 557 sets~ estimate

where as to get from 40 to 100 you need 450 sets 

It all depends on the Methods you go for getting the Cards, I know its gonna cost me just Under $100 USD to reach 100 from 88.5.
I do Know that I have done a Few Mass crafts, Before the new Buy Offers was added to the Market and Cards were More than they are now.
But I do know Its about $300 USD from 40ish to 100, Based on my Past leveling and the last chuk to 100.

Correction: 3v1lcl0ne3 is right, it's 450 cards from 40 to 100.

5 crafts per level (5 x 10 levels = 50) to get to 50,

60 crafts to 60

70 crafts to 70

80 crafts to 80

90 crafts to 90

100 crafts to 100

=

450 crafts total

1 badge = 5 crafts

so you'll need 90 badges.

Average price per set if you go for the cheapest 90 badges is .66 USD per set. You need to craft each set 5 times to complete each badge.

so, ~297 USD to reach level 100.

Could you please explain what a "craft" is and why the number of required "crafts" increases by 10 every 10 levels? I'm having a hard time understanding the logic behind your calculations.

Could you please explain what a "craft" is and why the number of required "crafts" increases by 10 every 10 levels? I'm having a hard time understanding the logic behind your calculations.

"60 crafts to 60"

you have to craft 60 sets to get to level 60 ? lol 

and the higher the level,the harder it should get to get to the next level. hence the increase in 10 sets per every 10 levels 

A craft is just a full set with one of each card, ready to be used to advance one level in the badge. On the cheapest cardsets, that's usually 5-6 different cards.

The number of required crafts per level increases by 10 every 10 levels simply because valve made it so. Their logic is apparantly that higher levels should cost exponentially more. You're rewarded with a showcase for every 10 levels and a +5 to your friend's list, but yea, you practially pay by needing 10 more crafts to move 10 levels higher.

"60 crafts to 60"

Might sound like much, but imagine going from 290 to 300.

"60 crafts to 60"

and the higher the level,the harder it should get to get to the next level. hence the increase in 10 sets per every 10 levels

You didn't answer my questions at all. WHY does it increase every level? What exactly makes it harder to get to the next level? How does that come out to 60 card sets to reach level 60?

I know the XP per level increases, but I don't know by how much and when it increases.

A craft is just a full set of each card to advance one level in the badge. On the cheapest cardsets, that's usually 5-6 different cards.

The number of required crafts per level increases by 10 every 10 levels simply because valve made it so. Their logic is apparantly that higher levels should cost exponentially more, You're rewarded with a showcase for every 10 levels, but yea you practially pay by needing 10 more crafts to move 10 levels higher.

Steam levels are based on XP, not by the number of times you've crafted a badge. Crafting a badge 5 times will give you a grand total of 500 XP, 100 per "craft." That is usually more than enough to advance a level or three. 60 crafts would yield 6,000 XP, which could give way more than 10 levels depending on your current Steam level. What I'm asking is to explain how exactly 60 crafts would get a level 50 person to level 60.

Might sound like much, but imagine going from 290 to 300.

i was just explaining it to him xd i know how much harder it is to go up 

You didn't answer my questions at all. WHY does it increase every level? What exactly makes it harder to get to the next level? How does that come out to 60 card sets to reach level 60?

I know the XP per level increases, but I don't know by how much and when it increases.

Steam levels are based on XP, not by the number of times you've crafted a badge. Crafting a badge 5 times will give you a grand total of 500 XP, 100 per "craft." That is usually more than enough to advance a level or three. 60 crafts would yield 6,000 XP, which could give way more than 10 levels depending on your current Steam level. What I'm asking is to explain how exactly 60 crafts would get a level 50 person to level 60.

I see. Well, the xp requirement per level changes with every 10 levels. Like I'm going from 100 to 110 right now and I need 10.099 xp (typo: should say 1.099 xp) to advance each level. With 100 xp per craft, that's 11 crafts per level, or 110 crafts for all 10 levels to 110.

Some badges, like the "Amount of games" badge, the Summer 2011 and Summer 2012 give odd amounts of XP depending on their respective level. Hence the 99 in my case. That, of course, varies from user to user, but the need for 1.something xp per craft for 100 to 110 stays the same.

I see. Well, the xp requirement per level changes with every 10 levels. Like I'm going from 100 to 110 right now and I need 10.099 xp to advance each level. With 100 xp per craft, that's 11 crafts per level, or 110 for all 10 levels to 110.

10.099xp per level?

Assuming you're from a place where they use periods instead of commas, if that were the case, you would need to craft a badge 101 times to increase ONE level.

Assuming that is a decimal point, 10.1 XP per level is never possible.

10.099xp per level?

Assuming you're from a place where they use periods instead of commas, if that were the case, you would need to craft a badge 101 times to increase ONE level.

Assuming that is a decimal point, 10.1 XP per level is never possible.

Oh my, I need some coffee. Lol.

Yea, that's supposed to be 1k, not 10.

1,099 xp / 100 xp per craft = 11 crafts

Hah, I'm just happy that the scm accepts , and . or otherwise I would have sold some stuff for 100€ instead of 1€ (or even the other way round :S). :P

It's supposed to mean 10k and 99. The american spelling would be 10,099.

Which is what my first assumption was.

Also, no, it means I need 11 crafts to advance 1 level. 10,099 xp / 100 xp per craft = 11 crafts

10,099 / 100 = 100.99 (101)

-Edit-

That would make more sense. Now if only this thread wasn't 2 pages I could go over your calculations a bit easier.

-Edit 2-

Alright, I think I've cracked the logic down.

According to your data, XP required increases by 100 every level, requiring an extra "craft" every level. When looked at at a larger scale, that would come to an extra 1,000 XP per 10 levels, which comes to 10 extra crafts per 10 levels, which explains the increase of required crafts.

So from 40 to 100, that would be 50 (to get to lvl 50) + 60 (to get to lvl 60)...+ 90 + 100, which comes to 450 crafts to get from 40 to 100. Math solved.

However, not every "craft" requires the same amount of cards and not all cards cost the same, therefore making an exact price impossible.

What you could do is make a range with the low end using lowest # of cards per set and cheapest price per card and the high end using highest # of cards per set and most expensive price per card. Sure it'll be a huge ass range, but that pretty much encloses all possible total costs at that moment in time.

Yes, that part is in bold because the cheapest and most expensive prices per card are bound to change. # of cards per set could change too, but we'd need a 4 card badge and a 16 card badge to happen.

Holy shit I should become a mathematician.

Hah, I'm just happy that the scm accepts , and . or otherwise I would have sold some stuff for 100€ instead of 1€ (or even the other way round :S). :P

Hehe, yea, I'd definitely would've bought some trading cards for 6€ or more if they didn't accept both. xD

Alright, I think I've cracked the logic down.

According to your data, XP required increases by 100 every level, requiring an extra "craft" every level. When looked at at a larger scale, that would come to an extra 1,000 XP per 10 levels, which comes to 10 extra crafts per 10 levels, which explains the increase of required crafts.

Xp increases every 10 levels, not every level. That's simply how valve made the system. You need the same amount per level from 63 to 64 to 65 to 66, etc. Valve just ramps it up by 100 every 10 levels, so 71 to 72 needs 100 xp more than 61 to 62. Those 100 xp more translate, of course, to 1 craft more per level.

However, not every "craft" requires the same amount of cards and not all cards cost the same, therefore making an exact price impossible.

True, but we can approach a practical average by looking at the average price of the cheapest 90 cardsets: http://ehsankia.com/steam/cards/ 

Do note how that's being narrowed down by being strictly economical tho, excluding any fancy badges someone might want to craft on the way to 100.

Xp increases every 10 levels, not every level. That's simply how valve made the system. You need the same amount per level from 63 to 64 to 65 to 66, etc. Valve just ramps it up by 100 every 10 levels, so 71 to 72 needs 100 xp more than 61 to 62. Those 100 xp more are, of course, 1 craft more per level.

If that's the case, then that means it's 1 more craft every TEN levels, therefore making all of your math incorrect.

One more craft every 10 levels would mean 11 crafts to get lvl 20, 12 to 30, etc. By following this pattern, the OP would need 99 sets to go from lvl 40 to lvl 100. If you want that in badges, 19 lvl 5 badges and 1 lvl 4 badges, assuming OP is not adding onto a pre-existing badge.

Do note that I reached my previous conclusion based off of your data alone. If you're going to change some facts about your calculations, you have to do the calculations all over again.

True, but we can approach a practical average by looking at the average price of the cheapest 90 cards: http://ehsankia.com/steam/cards/

Do note how that's being narrowed down by being stricly economical tho, excluding any fancy badges or emoticions someone might want to craft on the way to 100.

Except the title of "cheapest card" is bound to change as time progresses, therefore changing set costs, price per craft, and, ultimately, total cost. It would be specific, but unreliable as you wouldn't know whether it increases or decreases and to what degree.

A range could change too, but you are still given a restricted area of possible outcomes whereas a specific answer would be unpredictable when it does change.

If that's the case, then that means it's 1 more craft every TEN levels, therefore making all of your math incorrect.

One more craft every 10 levels would mean 11 crafts to get lvl 20, 12 to 30, etc. By following this pattern, the OP would need 99 sets to go from lvl 40 to lvl 100. If you want that in badges, 19 lvl 5 badges and 1 lvl 4 badges, assuming OP is not adding onto a pre-existing badge.

Do note that I reached my previous conclusion based off of your data alone. If you're going to change some facts about your calculations, you have to do the calculations all over again.

Of course I mean 100 xp per level more every 10 levels. Not just 1 more craft, but 10 more. When in doubt, don't take the roundabout approach of assuming I changed the whole math when the simplest solution is just to read my words differently.

Except the title of "cheapest card" is bound to change as time progresses, therefore changing set costs, price per craft, and, ultimately, total cost. It would be specific, but unreliable as you wouldn't know whether it increases or decreases and to what degree.

A range could change too, but you are still given a restricted area of possible outcomes whereas a specific answer would be unpredictable when it does change.

Bit of an exercise in futility, to be honest. OP just wanted a general idea of how much he'd have to invest, and argueably, for someone who is concerned about how much he'll have to spend, the best answer is usually the bare minimum he'll have to expect; what the cheapest approach costs roughly.

As far as a high-end range goes, well, noone in his right mind would care about it. For all intents and purposes, really noone goes for the most expensive crafts to reach level 100.

What would be interesting tho is the cost for those 450 crafts if you pay a scrap per card, at an average of, say 6 or 7 cards each.

Archived