How should we use the "Random Craft Hat" to price craft hats?

polar

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/53ab7dee4dd7b8cb358b4568 - follow up on this.

I will give my opinion here. This does not mean I'm right. This is the proof I feel is acceptable / needed to make a craft hat suggestion. I would like community input to make a defined set of guidelines for making a random craft hat suggestion.

Valid Proof:

(1) Buyers - mass buyers buying any craft hat

(2) Sellers for common / generic craft hats like the Ellis Cap, Manniversary Hat. Presumably if these hats are selling regularly at >1.33 ref, then ANY craft hat can sell for >1.33 ref.

Other possibilities, I'm open to.

- Low tier robo-hats that used to be worth 1.11-1.22. These were the bottom tier hats before. If they can now sell for 1.66, probably means the baseline on craft hats as a whole has gone up.

- Those low tier craftable genuines that were ~1.11-1.22 before. Same on these - if they can now sell for 1.66, baseline value of craft hats needs a raise.

Any other proof you feel should be included? I would say realistically, trades older than 1 week should not be allowed. It should be easy enough to find enough proof using links from within the last 7 days. If you have to go further back in time to find support for 1.66, it probably means that 1.66 should not be in the range.

Logistics of how this will work -----

Once a random craft hat suggestion is accepted, hats will need a suggestion valuing them as a "random craft hat." In the classifieds listing, their value will remain in refined, but the refined value will change every time the random craft hat value will change. This means that we will still need ~500 suggestions changing hats to "random craft hats." But this change will happen once. We don't need to do this every time the value on the craft hat changes.

In summary, there's a reason we implemented a "random craft hat." Let's actually use it.

Possibly price hats using decimals/percentages? For example a popular hat may go for 1.3 craft hats or 130% the price of a craft hat

Or, another idea is to do 1 craft hat + 0.33 refined, for example. Just juggle around with the pros and cons of different ideas for implementing this and see which works out best.

I'd just like to point out if an active craft hat buyer is buying any craft hats at 1.66~ I doubt he's gonna actively search for each and every craftable hat available each week. Also the pinned thread say proof for the suggested hat should mainly be used.

Some people also use the actual hat instead of crafting, we shouldn't forget that.

I just feel we should use a more rough price value of it by using buyers in a supported craft hat value.

Because it's similar like keys-- if craft hats were all located in one classified listing all the low end (1.33) sellers would go quick, kinda like it's been with keys for a long time.

Idk, it's not an easy solution imo cuz of the mass amount of available craft hats. I also would like to apologize again for all the drama and spam it caused since I was the one who started this hype suggestions pretty much. :-P

I would consider a "random craft hat" to only be applicable to hats which are available in the drop system (i.e. ignoring genuines, man-co, robos) as these are what is commonly referred to by the community.

Take the random craft hats to be similar to how currency suggestions works (based predominately off active buyers) and for all drop-able hats to be priced as a random craft hat unless proven otherwise (some hats are clearly worth more than others)

A "random crafthat" cannot be below the suggested price due to a large amount of buyers available (why sell less when buyers will pay more unless they are not informed) and hats which are in higher demand dont follow the "base" price. This would allow the most accurate reflection of the market imo

ooooor we could not have "random craft hats" and let everyone get free rep for making suggestions for each hat ?

win:win situation 

I'd like to include my opinion here as I don't understand why craft hat prices are rising.

I think these "low-tier craft hats" don't exist. I knew that something like this would happen due to the fact that you can't get any of the robo hats from crafting, and were what seemed like a promo.

It all makes sense.

I'd like to include my opinion here as I don't understand why craft hat prices are rising.

I think these "low-tier craft hats" don't exist. I knew that something like this would happen due to the fact that you can't get any of the robo hats from crafting, and were what seemed like a promo.

It all makes sense.

The breadbox, costs 3 craft hats to craft so demand shot up on craft hats. Due to the mass crafting from the event hats also now have less supply.

The breadbox, costs 3 craft hats to craft so demand shot up on craft hats. Due to the mass crafting from the event hats also now have less supply.

That too.

(1) I'd just like to point out if an active craft hat buyer is buying any craft hats at 1.66~ I doubt he's gonna actively search for each and every craftable hat available each week.

(2) Also the pinned thread say proof for the suggested hat should mainly be used.

(3) Some people also use the actual hat instead of crafting, we shouldn't forget that.

(4) I just feel we should use a more rough price value of it by using buyers in a supported craft hat value.

Because it's similar like keys-- if craft hats were all located in one classified listing all the low end (1.33) sellers would go quick, kinda like it's been with keys for a long time.

Not really understanding what you are getting at with point #1.

(2) That was made before a "random craft hat" was implemented. Obviously, that rule doesn't apply here since there is no such thing as an actual "random hat."

(3) This is why only buyers of any craft hat (as opposed to buyers of specific craft hats) is valid proof.

(4) The problem with using only buyers as proof is that most mass buyers buy with the intent of profiting. If you go by buyers only you won't be able to define a realistic high end. Look at the suggestion I linked. If you only looked at buyers, craft hats would be 1.33 flat. But even hats like the Ellis Cap and Manniversary Hats are going for 1.66. If these hats (formerly 1.11-1.22 ref in value) can get 1.66 ref, it's silly, to me, to say that craft hats are 1.33 flat. At some point we need to consider sellers, and these are the only seller trades I can think of that will fulfill this need.

(4) The problem with using only buyers as proof is that most mass buyers buy with the intent of profiting. If you go by buyers only you won't be able to define a realistic high end. Look at the suggestion I linked. If you only looked at buyers, craft hats would be 1.33 flat. But even hats like the Ellis Cap and Manniversary Hats are going for 1.66. If these hats (formerly 1.11-1.22 ref in value) can get 1.66 ref, it's silly, to me, to say that craft hats are 1.33 flat. At some point we need to consider sellers, and these are the only seller trades I can think of that will fulfill this need.

Well there are serllers that sell "any craft (in their bp) hat" for 1.66 now (and buyers saying, I take 3 hats etc). Maybe those could also be considered.~

Agreed, mostly. All these suggestions for craft hats should be setting them to craft hat value, not however many refined.

I would consider a "random craft hat" to only be applicable to hats which are available in the drop system (i.e. ignoring genuines, man-co, robos) as these are what is commonly referred to by the community.

Take the random craft hats to be similar to how currency suggestions works (based predominately off active buyers) and for all drop-able hats to be priced as a random craft hat unless proven otherwise (some hats are clearly worth more than others)

A "random crafthat" cannot be below the suggested price due to a large amount of buyers available (why sell less when buyers will pay more unless they are not informed) and hats which are in higher demand dont follow the "base" price. This would allow the most accurate reflection of the market imo

It all makes sense.

I don't really think craft hats can (or should) have tiers. The entire point of a craft hat is that is only valuable as a slightly cheaper way to get a random, potentially better hat (or bread box, as the case may be).

Availability and/or appearance doesn't have any effect on craft hat status. Genuines and robo hats are craft hats despite their limited availability, and hats like the modest pile are craft hats despite being all-class. Trying to sort craft hats into tiers is neither feasible nor accurate.

ooooor we could not have "random craft hats" and let everyone get free rep for making suggestions for each hat ?

win:win situation 

not really--suggestors have to do a bunch of extra work to price everything (not "free rep"), the mods have to do a bunch of extra work in order to accept those suggestions, and both those factors will mean the price list is less reliable and less efficient.

Archived