This copy of windows is not genuine.

The G What ™

So not to go into extraneous details, but I had to reinstall windows. Used my disc and now it says "this copy of windows is not genuine."

Again, no need for details, but customer service told me to kindly fuck myself. 

Any fixes?

Funny, but actual responses from here on out please.

Does the computer have a product key written on it somewhere? I had the same problem with my laptop a year or so ago. I eventually looked on the underside of it for some unrelated reason, and I found the computer's original product key on a sticker on it.

Does the computer have a product key written on it somewhere? I had the same problem with my laptop a year or so ago. I eventually looked on the underside of it for some unrelated reason, and I found the computer's original product key on a sticker on it.

It's from a build. I bought a barebones kit and a retail copy of Windows for the build. Oddly, this is the only computer I have built that I actually purchased windows on. I tried the product key on the disc case and it says it is invalid. Even though it's the one I used to install on this computer. 

call microsoft, provide them the product key and they'll refresh it. They refreshed my MS office and win 7 when i dropped my harddrive........

call microsoft, provide them the product key and they'll refresh it. They refreshed my MS office and win 7 when i dropped my harddrive........

Tried this already. They said it was not a valid key and I'd have to buy a new one. for $99.99

Tried this already. They said it was not a valid key and I'd have to buy a new one. for $99.99

Sounds to me like you installed the same version of Windows on another computer.

give it another go. Different representatives will tell you different things. I called twice for mine to be validated

Posted · Hidden by cleverpun, June 29, 2014 - Spam
Hidden by cleverpun, June 29, 2014 - Spam

You seem to be unaware of what a joke is. 

Well why is he telling jokes on a serious thread? That's a free warn from Cleverpun right there.

Same as what others said, try calling support again, maybe uninstall your windows copy from another computer. Give it a shot man, maybe you'll get lucky.

So, if it's not genuine, then it must be vintage or strange, right? Ayyyyy, spoiler puns

my computer says that, i just ignore it. it happened to my desktop and i couldnt get in so my mate pirated me a code, it works just google it :)

2 reasons this may have happened 

you pirated the copy of windows

something with the Windows key fucked up

Sounds to me like you installed the same version of Windows on another computer.

Nope. After I did the install on this I used the same disc to upload the OS to another computer I built, and purchased a product key online on. Don't see how that would be an issue though.

my computer says that, i just ignore it. it happened to my desktop and i couldnt get in so my mate pirated me a code, it works just google it :)

Yeah but it's really annoying when that validation error pops up, especially when I'm in the middle of a game. It's only a minor hassle, really, but it's fucking annoying and shouldn't happen.

2 reasons this may have happened 

you pirated the copy of windows

something with the Windows key fucked up

Seriously, my OP was 3 lines, and you still couldn't be bothered to read them? This is a legit retail copy of windows, and no fucking shit the key fucked up. Thanks for spamming and saying nothing important at all.

Install a linux distro of your choice and never go back. I recommend openSUSE.

or just use daz loader and its free keys :^)

Install a linux distro of your choice and never go back. I recommend openSUSE.

or just use daz loader and its free keys :^)

I'm thinking of doing a secondary drive booted with some sort of Linux, however I don't know code well enough to do so yet, and I do occasionally need to do work type stuff on it, so compatibility is an issue. Plus it's the general principle that I bought a product from them that they fucked up, and I want it fixed.

Also, really trying to go about this legally, if at all possible.

Did you try turning it on and off again?

Because that is totally helpful to the thread.

Why not just go to the place u bought the case from?

I built it two years ago and it's long past any sort of warranty. 

I built it two years ago and it's long past any sort of warranty. 

Doesnt hurt to ask them :T

Archived