[TF2] New type of scamming?(Apparently old, Disregard this thread)

Hyo

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, as this is the first time I've posted something.

So anyways, I've been trying to sell a Circl. Heart Frenchman's Beret on outpost, and this guy adds me. He tells me he's going to record all of our windows and he's going to have a friend of mine middle man. Cool. Whatever.

So he says for me to

1. Give the item to my friend

2. He'll then give the buds to my friend

3. My friend then distributes the items

So, what he ended up doing was creating a fake profile that looked EXACTLY like my friends. The exact same amount of hours in TF2, same profile picture. However, I managed to catch one mistake he made.

He added an extra period at the end of the fake accounts name.

So I managed to catch on and yell at him for being a scammer. He genuinely almost got me.

I took a few screenshots of our chat. http://imgur.com/AMF5arv,lTmid4w#1

So yeah, thought I would give a heads up. I've only gotten the spam link phisher bots before, so sorry if this isn't anything new.

EDIT: Changed title. Sorry guys, I never got hit by this type of scammer before, just thought I would try to be helpful.

l1

l2

l3

l4

l5

l6

l7

l8

That's how l8 you are

Yeah, it's old. I don't know how anyone falls for it though, there's zero reason to use a middleman in a straight item-for-item trade.

Yeah, it's old. I don't know how anyone falls for it though, there's zero reason to use a middleman in a straight item-for-item trade.

Late night, I'm tired, and I really just want to sell this damn hat.

it's not a new scam method, but it's good to be reminded of it every once in a while, and I am sure there are probably a few people who'll read this topic who haven't heard about impersonators before.

Not new but its so uncommon that most haven't heard or seen it happen.

Unless you're me... in which case they try it every couple of days...

Your bro is an idiot. No offense.

Nah, that was when it first came out so no one knew about it

And if you're gonna insult my bro, then whats the point of calling him an idiot then saying no offence? The whole point of calling someone an idiot is to offend them, duh

This scam is kind of a trending scam lately. I found out that my friend was a victim of this just an hour ago and I was involved as the one who got impersonated. Glad nothing was stolen.

Archived