How to get into trading?

So this thread is to possibly help with the very new traders. The ones who don't happen to have lots of money or funds to do anything at all. The ones who only have enough to buy like a hat or so.

I want to ask a question. In this day and age, what must a new trader do to become successful? What is good to invest or flip? And any advice at all?

Well, tf2vendor.com has some good deals(you can make a .11 - 1 ref profit depending on the item you buy) but unfortunately the summer sale may cause some trade offers to fail.

10 months ago i was a newbie, i started selling my weapons for a scrap each, bought more weapons at scrap.tf. And from there i went to trading hats, flipping them for about a rec profit each. Then i invested on stranges when they were actually stable. That's how i got started

P.S Shinji is a pussy

And from there i went to trading hats, flipping them for about a rec profit each. Then i invested on stranges when they were actually stable. That's how i got started

P.S Shinji is a pussy

Since stranges arent stable now, what would you flip if you started today?

P.S. Shinji is (not) a pussy

But in all seriousness if you want to begin trading in a fast way, buy a few keys and unbox. It give you a quick start and some experience with items that aren't unique weps.

Since stranges arent stable now, what would you flip if you started today?

P.S. Shinji is (not) a pussy

Normal cosmetics, especially craft hats right now, because of the hype.

But in all seriousness if you want to begin trading in a fast way, buy a few keys and unbox. It give you a quick start and some experience with items that aren't unique weps.

Do not do this

How to start? well.

I can give a few tips

1. When people need you to add their friend because they offer a good deal, add their friend. They arent lying

2. When someone asks you to keep your items on a trustable friends account, do it u trust them anyways

3. When people give you an item duper, download it, more hats is good.

How to start? well.

I can give a few tips

1. When people need you to add their friend because they offer a good deal, add their friend. They arent lying

2. When someone asks you to keep your items on a trustable friends account, do it u trust them anyways

3. When people give you an item duper, download it, more hats is good.

Do the opposite of everything on this list.

Items in the game were more fun before I found out they all had a specific price.

Maybe that's just because I usually just traded different stranges with people and the best one I can think of was getting a s. flare gun for a s. detonator

God damn people.

How to into profiteering

1. Use  TF2Outpost for buying tons of hats for a rec or so off, maybe more if they're expensive.  

2. Use Bazaar and BP.TF for reselling these items.  Don't take item overpays unless it's something simple you can resell easily.

3. Use Trade.tf for good deals if you find yourself with surplus metal and want to buy some items for cheap that you can afford to waste your metal on.  

4. Ignore using Trade Servers, it's not worth your time to put up with idiots there who want to trade their killstreak Ubersaw for your Doublecross.

5. Do NOT look to bp.tf and compare it to other user's trades.  If they're selling for higher, do not say "bp.tf says it's only 2 ref, why're you charging 2.66?"

6. Unboxing and crafting should be looked at as luxuries and not a means of profiting.  

7. If running a quickbuying trade, don't pay extra for paint/part/killstreaks, this helps to keep your stock clean and uniform.  If someone does happen to sell you one at base price with extra things attached, then feel free to resell at whatever price you choose.

8. For higher tier trading, such as unusuals and expensive promos, always check for pending reports or passed reports on steamrep and other trading sites.  An easy way to get a general idea is by using http://rep.tf/

Accept item overpay. It can greatly increase profits if you have no wants, or your wants are cheap.

Do NOT always do this.  Taking a .66 ref overpay on a 2 ref hat is fine.  Taking .66 ref overpay because he's offering a vintage killstreak Ullapool Caber is not fine.  Only take items you know you can resell and have no problem in selling for a bit lower.  

Feel free to add onto or correct me on anything.

Never pay full price for anything and make sure @ that price you can at last resort sell it quickly @ the price you bought it at.

Do NOT always do this.  Taking a .66 ref overpay on a 2 ref hat is fine.  Taking .66 ref overpay because he's offering a vintage killstreak Ullapool Caber is not fine.  Only take items you know you can resell and have no problem in selling for a bit lower.  

Clarification is always good as I forgot that new traders might not know if the overpay is acceptable or not. Last I checked though, Vintage Killstreak Ullapool's ran a bit more than 2 keys. That aside, Brace is correct. Items usually never acceptable for overpay include vintages, parted stranges, most lower tier paints, and killstreak items. Only accept them as overpay if you are certain you can turn a profit on them for more than your item's worth. Always check the current market on Outpost to see what other people are selling their items for as a reference point. Backpack.tf is a good price guide, but it it just that: a guide. The market could be higher and backpack could be lagging behind. Likewise, check the market on item offers. Backpack's price could be higher than the actual value simply because no one stumbled upon the item and decided to make a suggestion to drop it.

Archived