Questions about my external HDD

∞Ramses

Okay this is serious.

There's something weird going on with my external hard drive disk (from WD, 1 TB).

If I want to put files in it, let's say 2 gb, it says it will take 4 minutes and just lags in the beginning. 

Then the counter goes to 30 minutes, followed by an error which says that the file is "in use", even though I'm copy-pasting it.

Okay, while writing this, my HDD just unplugs itself (not safely).

Also I hear sometimes a ticking sound from the HDD itself. (Like an old computer that was starting up)

I also have SMART Utility for Mac, but that only checks my internal hard drive.

Sometimes my computer crashes and I have to manually reset. Other times I can't unplug the HDD safely, "cause it's still in use".

Is it broke? I still can get the files off it without any problems. I already checked with Disc Utility and it said I should repair, which I've done.

What can I do? Is the HDD physically broken? Any other Apple products to check the external hard drive for errors?

TL;DR External Hard Drive, Putting files in takes forever, taking files off is easy. Randomly unplugs itself. Causes crashes.  How to check for errors?

Okay this is serious.

There's something weird going on with my external hard drive disk (from WD, 1 TB).

If I want to put files in it, let's say 2 gb, it says it will take 4 minutes and just lags in the beginning. 

Then the counter goes to 30 minutes, followed by an error which says that the file is "in use", even though I'm copy-pasting it.

Okay, while writing this, my HDD just unplugs itself (not safely).

Also I hear sometimes a ticking sound from the HDD itself. (Like an old computer that was starting up)

I also have SMART Utility for Mac, but that only checks my internal hard drive.

Sometimes my computer crashes and I have to manually reset. Other times I can't unplug the HDD safely, "cause it's still in use".

Is it broke? I still can get the files off it without any problems. I already checked with Disc Utility and it said I should repair, which I've done.

What can I do? Is the HDD physically broken? Any other Apple products to check the external hard drive for errors?

TL;DR External Hard Drive, Putting files in takes forever, taking files off is easy. Randomly unplugs itself. Causes crashes.  How to check for errors?

Back up anything important and don't store anything important on it--Get a new hdd. (Or call WD its more than likely still under warranty). 

Archived