Blind Voting

Curly Brace

Had the idea in another thread, some people supported it, so I thought I'd bring it over here.

Why not make price suggesting be anonymous until it is passed?  It creates more accurate suggesting due to actually having to observe proof instead of looking at the name and belt, and voting based upon that.  Make the suggester public after it's done to be able to keep track of who has made what suggestions in the past also.

I'm sure there's some negatives to this, and I'd like to discuss what they would be, and how to fix them.  

Will be a lot less votes :P not everyone has the time to review everything

It's up to the mods in the end.

I don't think it would change much, as votes don't mean much really.

• Administrators

It's up to the mods in the end.

I don't think it would change much, as votes don't mean much really.

I really don't see the point of voting really, other than gaining/losing rep points.

Negative votes are never taken into account, technically voting has no point other than gaining/losing rep points.

Before anyone replies with blind voting and what not, yeah I know about that and I put that aside before typing that ^

And what's stopping then saying "and here, [insert name], making a price suggestion."

There could be punishments/sanctions imposed upon those that do? Also it is expected of the one making the Suggestion to avoid revealing his identity. 

To that guy who replied "not everyone has the time to review everything": I'm sure you were joking, but what's the point in holding a vote if people will blindly up/down-vote? 

I support this, since it'll make people actually read the proof and use their own judgement when voting, rather than "omg dis guy is gud suggest0r his gud i blind vote him kthx 4 free rep omg"

I repeat myself, it's all up to the mods in the end.

Votes are meaningless, it's only for rep

There have been a few suggestions that are based upon community votes because the mods are on the fence about whether or not it should be accepted or not.  I realize it's a small minority, but if votes were entirely meaningless, then they wouldn't be there at all.

Voting is there to give a false impression of making a difference, 1000 upvotes on a price won't affect it in the absolute slightest 

I repeat myself, it's all up to the mods in the end.

Votes are meaningless, it's only for rep

Then why even keep the whole 'voting' process? If it's all meaningless, why even bother with it? Why not just make a quick website-wide announcement saying "Don't bother voting, it's all up to the mods." 

Because backpack.tf is a COMMUNITY-generated guideline. Keyword being 'community'. This site is pretty meaningless if the community of tf2 doesn't get a say in it, it'll just be a random group of "mods" who decide the prices of everything. That's not too fair, is it? I know it would ruin bp.tf's reputation if it got out, to be honest. 

Then why even keep the whole 'voting' process? If it's all meaningless, why even bother with it? Why not just make a quick website-wide announcement saying "Don't bother voting, it's all up to the mods." 

Because backpack.tf is a COMMUNITY-generated guideline. Keyword being 'community'. This site is pretty meaningless if the community of tf2 doesn't get a say in it, it'll just be a random group of "mods" who decide the prices of everything. That's not too fair, is it? I know it would ruin bp.tf's reputation if it got out, to be honest. 

There's nothing in it to ruin reputation.

Mods aren't chosen blindly.

The word is already out anyway, it's not much of a secret. It's the mod's decision in the end. Always/

Example of someone we would be able to see every suggestion they made irregardless because of their style: YO! Sushi

"Hai, konnichiwa! (。◕ ∀ ◕。)

Executioner is my favourite hatte ლ(⌒▽⌒ლ)

No price set, definitely it needs pricing, desu ┌(┌ ï¼¾o^)â”

Proof below, make sure you read my suggestion thoroughly and vote accordingly, yoroshiku (・ω・)

*Overpay calculated / Original prices used* (・∀・)ゞ

*All hats are clean unless I write "Duped""

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/538fd7a54cd7b829188b47fd

Could spot Sushi anywhere xD

There's nothing in it to ruin reputation.

Mods aren't chosen blindly.

The word is already out anyway, it's not much of a secret. It's the mod's decision in the end. Always/

Well majority of the traders don't really know this, and bp.tf claiming "All prices are compiled based on community feedback." doesn't help.

Example of someone we would be able to see every suggestion they made irregardless because of their style: YO! Sushi

"Hai, konnichiwa! (。◕ ∀ ◕。)

Executioner is my favourite hatte ლ(⌒▽⌒ლ)

No price set, definitely it needs pricing, desu ┌(┌ ï¼¾o^)â”

Proof below, make sure you read my suggestion thoroughly and vote accordingly, yoroshiku (・ω・)

*Overpay calculated / Original prices used* (・∀・)ゞ

*All hats are clean unless I write "Duped""

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/538fd7a54cd7b829188b47fd

Could spot Sushi anywhere xD

lol 2 true

Well majority of the traders don't really know this, and bp.tf claiming "All prices are compiled based on community feedback." doesn't help.

ever heard of western democracy? people think they are making a difference but in reality it is just a small group of people.

also community feedback includes comments, not just votes. sometimes mods can miss things, or people can make arguements and counter proofs.

EDIT: TheTruth didnt speak the truth

No please. I want to see who is suggesting so I can talk to them on steam or the forums or whatever. Might as well get rid of backpack.tf profiles too since everything would become anonymous. Also, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who suggested it by the way they set up suggestions. Whoever created the suggestion can't comment either, because that would ruin their anonymity.

It could also be used in the wrong way, new users tend to post stuff as "don't you need solds" and other stuff that isn't needed.

When a blue belt or higher post a suggestion, it's easier to see how the suggestion should look like (in most cases) so people learn. Doubt people will go back to the suggestion (at least not many) and such.

I'd be more in favour for the reverse - that it gets anonymous or something after it's made, then I can stop get my 10+ daily adds with people asking "are you selling this?" - "bp.tf says u sell this" and all the mix ups with buying/selling from the suggestion.

Would also not be fair if the comments on the suggestion wouldn't be anonymous, and that isn't ideal because we need to know the mods/experianced people etc.

Similar/need to re-confirm with some sort of 5-10second "agree" button or anything else might be interesting, but in this case - I'm gonna have to say no.

I dislike blind voting, but there's not much you can do about it. Only suggestions I could think of, that would make any amount of sense, would be a timer delay on when you could cast the vote (to encourage you to maybe read some of the proof or counter proof for the 30 sec-1 min you can't initially vote), or a popup before your vote is final that asks if you have read everything first.

I dunno how many unusual suggestions I've seen, that were shoddy looking, but got 90%+ because somebody "known" suggested it. It's kind of funny too, because many suggesters end with "Please read all the proof and give any feedback!", despite how many people still +1 without reading.

Obligitory counter answer: hide the buttons from the main voting page. Make it so that you have to read the proof before you can vote up or down. It would make things a lot slower, yes, but it's pretty much the best way to kill the problem that I (and several others) can think of.

I dislike blind voting, but there's not much you can do about it. Only suggestions I could think of, that would make any amount of sense, would be a timer delay on when you could cast the vote (to encourage you to maybe read some of the proof or counter proof for the 30 sec-1 min you can't initially vote), or a popup before your vote is final that asks if you have read everything first.

I dunno how many unusual suggestions I've seen, that were shoddy looking, but got 90%+ because somebody "known" suggested it. It's kind of funny too, because many suggesters end with "Please read all the proof and give any feedback!", despite how many people still +1 without reading.

Me, Necro, Hugh & Kodo get a massive amount of blind upvotes.

Archived