If I move my hard drive into a different computer, will steam consider a new device?

cleverpun

As title. My laptop's fan seems to have stopped working, but I do have a spare laptop (its hard drive was corrupted or something). Will moving the drive to a new computer be considered a new device, or does the ID file not care about the hardware?

As title. My laptop's fan seems to have stopped working, but I do have a spare laptop (its hard drive was corrupted or something). Will moving the drive to a new computer be considered a new device, or does the ID file not care about the hardware?

as far i know, it'll be considered as a new devide

different IP address = different device

I don't know, but what would it matter that it would be a new device?

are you asking about steamguard?

yes he is

as far i know, it'll be considered as a new devide

different IP address = different device

I am pretty sure this ^ is true. 

However, I'm not sure IF you're using another IP, since IP is your Internet, which, in this case, is not something you are going to change.

You shouldn't move your hard drive onto a new laptop anyway, it won't work any good because that hard drive has drivers and registry files that are made for your broken computer.

Reinstall windows if you move it onto your other laptop.

You can copy the ssfn file and move that to your steam folder once you've reinstalled windows and you will be able to use steam just as before.

On some networks, every device would have it's own IP address, as long as the sentry files are not remove I think is would be fine if the IPs are the same. Plus it would be a 7 day wait is not too bad if it does not work.

alright thanks everyone. Hopefully my current laptop will work after I clean the fan later today, and it will be a moot point.

Incentive to cash out sooner and buy a new computer, if nothing else P:

alright thanks everyone. Hopefully my current laptop will work after I clean the fan later today, and it will be a moot point.

Incentive to cash out sooner and buy a new computer, if nothing else P:

This is Karma from all the people you warn on backpack.tf.

You should get a kick ass Alienware laptop so you can get back to what you do best.  :)

Ill never forget that warning point. Thanks obama! Also, my friends computer randomly decided he was on a new computer and he couldnt trade for a week, I don't know why. Steamguard is really weird. 

You can't really put a hard drive from one computer into another....it doesn't really work. 

HOWEVER, if you copy your ssfn file from that hard drive onto a flash drive, and then put the hard drive in the new computer (and reinstall windows/drivers/everything) and then copy that file into the steam file then steam guard shouldn't lock you out. 

You can't really put a hard drive from one computer into another....it doesn't really work.

Not really. Some drivers might be not compatible but other than that, it will work just fine.

HOWEVER, if you copy your ssfn file from that hard drive onto a flash drive, and then put the hard drive in the new computer (and reinstall windows/drivers/everything) and then copy that file into the steam file then steam guard shouldn't lock you out. 

Actually I have done it before--the bigger problem was the physical size (since laptop) but it booted and such just fine

Actually I have done it before--the bigger problem was the physical size (since laptop) but it booted and such just fine

Have you tried putting in in a cool room with a fan blowing on it?

Not really. Some drivers might be not compatible but other than that, it will work just fine.

Hence "it doesn't REALLY work"

Hence "it doesn't REALLY work"

Define "doesn't REALLY work".

You might have to update your GPU drivers but that's about it. It's not like the GPU or any other HW component will stop working you know.

Archived