Non-Profit Trading Bots, Yes or No?

Sammvich

Hello all!

(I hope this is the right place for this, if not please tell me so)

As the title states, I plan to setup bots that will be not for profit, starting with keys, ToD tickets and maybe some paints or tools.

At first the bots will make small profit (1 scrap) to help expand their capacity and create extra bots. These bots will take donations to help

with costs, such as backpack expanders.

I'm currently designing a website to assist in trading, I don't have much money so it will be at least another month before the site is up, maybe a little longer

for the bots (not going to ask for financial aid, not that kind of person).

My aim with these bots is the make all the greedy traders obsolete, why trade with a guy who will buy you key for below the recommended price and sell for way

above it? When you can get the recommended price, faster and easier.

My question to you is would you like to see this? If so what bots would you like to see and use? Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading, have a good day!

Snipp

I think this is a great idea. Although you will have to find a way to keep the stock up :P. You have my full support mate :)

The bot would literally never have any stock

True, I could limit the rate of sales or have periods of buying and selling.

Bot: Type "stock" to check my stock of keys!

Me: stock

Bot: I currently can buy OVER 9000 keys, I can currently sell 0 keys

If you don't make profit, you will lose every single thing in the end because of price fluctuations and people abusing them.

If you don't make profit, you will lose every single thing in the end because of price fluctuations and people abusing them.

Yeah, that was an issue in mind. Was thinking to make a small price difference, but no where near like other traders. That profit would definitely go towards upgrading and such.

There are already bots making scrap profit per item. How is this going to be different in any way?

Well that they would become non-profit after a small amount of time, but that doesn't seem all too possible now.

You will be lost forever between trades, because people aren't going to be generous and fair. Sound's good, but that's not how it works.

This is all true, but I'd like to provide a service rather than be just another guy trying to make the most profit possible.

"Hey, please restock the bot!!"

Without some profit, there would literally be bots to get items from your bots.

• Administrators

This is all true, but I'd like to provide a service rather than be just another guy trying to make the most profit possible.

I applaud you for trying to do this but it won't end up in a good path but rather go through the path of doom.

People will start abusing the bot. Some people will even start complaining things like "Hey, please restock the bot!!"

...Constantly. If you think you can make it through, why not give it a try. If it doesn't work out, you can just back out completely or find another way.  ^_^ 

• 1 month later...

Lol i just signed up to give you my ideas

Some ways you could stop abusment of the system

1. I would suggest limiting the amount each steam account can purchase per week our day
  2. you could help it a bit more if there were ads showing atleast that way you have some rainy day fund so if you have to restock and somthing is selling out very quick you can use it to get a little extra
  3. you could stop abusement also by limiting the ip address to the one steam account 
  4. and instead of having a comment section have a forum but also have somthing like a vote to restock button on the side of the trade page so the ones with the most votes get updated the most and limit peoples amount of votes to lets say 5 per week that way if keys had sold out and a weapon had sold out and keys had more votes then weapons they'd show at first on the list and the weapon would show second

I hope my ideas help alot and if i can help more please let me i really think this could be the next scrap.tf i know im a bit late sendoing these tips but i hope you haven't gave up on it already

also srry for bad grammer i aint got the time fo that haha 

Scrap.tf makes a profit to become self-sustaining. It's childish and fucking silly to call it "greedy" when the only reason anyone would use your bots is to get a fair price on items they would then try and sell for profit.

In the real world, people don't bitch and moan about Starbucks charging more than they absolutely have to for coffee. This is called making a profit and having business sense.

Good in theory but I can't see a way how to make this work without people abusing it. Price fluctuations will still happen and when they do you're bots will be fair game.

I agree with Geel9, Greed is a driving force of the market but it shouldn't be confused with business sense. People buy cheap and sell for higher, that's how every market goes because someone out there wants to make a profit. You wouldn't be trading if you didn't want something.

The difference between greed and business sense is the individual's morality and reasoning.

Archived