Conversations with Scammers part 2

JCapps

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

11:00 PM - dsaxcz: Hello

11:00 PM - dsaxcz: There

11:00 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): hi

11:00 PM - dsaxcz: Do you trade your Unusuals ?

11:00 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/19395631

11:01 PM - dsaxcz: For you all Unusuals 70buds

11:01 PM - dsaxcz: right ?

11:02 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): I think its much less than 70

11:02 PM - dsaxcz: Hmppp

11:02 PM - dsaxcz: 110buds

11:02 PM - dsaxcz: right ?

11:02 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): 110 is not less than 70. lol

11:02 PM - dsaxcz: Sorry

11:02 PM - dsaxcz: 60buds ?

11:02 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): Let me do some math, hang on

11:02 PM - dsaxcz: Give me 3-5minutes okay ?

11:02 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): alright

11:02 PM - dsaxcz: Cuz ill buy the buds in TF2OUTPOST

11:03 PM - dsaxcz: OR STEAM MARKET

11:03 PM - dsaxcz: 19Each ?

11:03 PM - dsaxcz: 1bud=19keys

11:03 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): i think a bud is worth 17 keys right now

11:03 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:03 PM - dsaxcz: 60buds

11:03 PM - dsaxcz: Give me 3-5minutes

11:03 PM - dsaxcz: Okay ?

11:04 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): I don't see how you could do that with 0 items, but ok. Suprise me

11:05 PM - dsaxcz: Sorry but im DOING "BUY AND SELL'

11:05 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): ah, ok.

11:05 PM - dsaxcz: Sorry

11:05 PM - dsaxcz: Sorry

11:05 PM - dsaxcz: can i buy now ?

11:05 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): nah, np. I'd like to see if you could actually do it though. That would be very impressive

11:06 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): hang on, i still think 60 is too much

11:06 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:06 PM - dsaxcz: So ?>

11:06 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): 46 buds will do

11:06 PM - dsaxcz: Ohh

11:06 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:06 PM - dsaxcz: 46

11:06 PM - dsaxcz: Give me 3-5minutes

11:06 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): alright

11:09 PM - dsaxcz: But if you change your mind you can backout i need your Trusted Friend or Real Friend to hold your Unusuals i need a confiramtion before ill buy the BUDS REMEMBER:I WONT GO FIRST.

11:10 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): mmhmm

11:10 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): so I need a friend you say?

11:10 PM - dsaxcz: I need your Trusted Friend to hold your Unusuals

11:10 PM - dsaxcz: Just a confiramtion

11:10 PM - dsaxcz: if you are done trading

11:10 PM - dsaxcz: Thats the time ill buy the buds in STEAM MARKET

11:10 PM - dsaxcz: So?

11:10 PM - dsaxcz: Do you have one ?

11:10 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): buy buds on the steam market?

11:10 PM - dsaxcz: TF2OUTPOST RATHER

11:11 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): Ok, so who do i give my unusuals to?

11:11 PM - dsaxcz: to your Trusted Friend

11:11 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): who is...

11:11 PM - dsaxcz: Do you have one ?

11:12 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): well yea, why

11:12 PM - dsaxcz: Veiw Friendlist

11:12 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:12 PM - dsaxcz: Give me his link

11:12 PM - dsaxcz: so that i can add him

11:13 PM - dsaxcz: So ?

11:14 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): hang on, steam is being stupid

11:14 PM - dsaxcz: Sorry

11:14 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:14 PM - dsaxcz: Dont trade yet

11:14 PM - dsaxcz: i want to talk to him

11:14 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): ok

11:14 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:15 PM - dsaxcz: Added

11:16 PM - dsaxcz: Do you know him in personal ?

11:16 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): Yea

11:16 PM - dsaxcz: Can you check him to my friendlist if its him

11:16 PM - dsaxcz: Confirm it

11:17 PM - dsaxcz: Done ?

11:17 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): He just sent me a message, so yea, thats him

11:17 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:17 PM - dsaxcz: Give me sec,

11:17 PM - dsaxcz: cuz ill buy now

11:18 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): ok

11:18 PM - dsaxcz: But dont trade yet

11:18 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): mmmk

11:18 PM - dsaxcz: i will invite him to our groupchat and trade your Unusuals to him before ill buy the BUDS okay ?

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

11:18 PM - Your chat with dsaxcz is now a multi-user chat.

11:18 PM - Some bot thing. entered chat.

11:18 PM - dsaxcz: Okay Trade now

11:18 PM - dsaxcz: Tell me when its done

11:19 PM - dsaxcz: Done ?

11:19 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): nope, not yet

11:19 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:19 PM - dsaxcz: Tell me when its done

11:19 PM - dsaxcz: so that i can buy the buds now

11:19 PM - Some bot thing.: ok

11:20 PM - dsaxcz: Done ?

11:20 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): bp isn't loading

11:20 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): gimme a sec

11:20 PM - dsaxcz: okay

11:21 PM - dsaxcz: Done ?

11:21 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): Yep. sent

11:21 PM - dsaxcz: Sent ?

11:21 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): yea, he says he's got them right now

11:21 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:22 PM - dsaxcz: i will check your inventory

11:22 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): ok

11:22 PM - dsaxcz: done trading ?

11:22 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): Yea, hes gottem he says

11:23 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): Oh, odd. It still says I have it

11:23 PM - dsaxcz: Okay

11:23 PM - dsaxcz: So ?

11:23 PM - dsaxcz: Done trading ?

11:24 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): Oh, I figured out the problem

11:24 PM - dsaxcz: What problem ?

11:24 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): I turns out that my friend Some bot thing is actually me with an alternate account...how very strange...

11:25 PM - dsaxcz is now Offline.

11:25 PM - dsaxcz is currently offline, they will receive your message the next time they log in.

11:25 PM - JCapps (Lord Demopan): hahaha

Two of my friends were scammed by this technique. Lost 22 buds and a $500 iirc csgo knife. Nice way to troll the phishers though. Good use of an alt

I had the same thing happen today. Gave him my alt account as 'my trusted friend'. They realised I was fucking with them once I started asking the impersonator personal questions in the group chat.

Can someone plz explain to me this method of scamming? I really don't understand it. The scammer trades you buds? And you have to have your friend hold onto your unusuals why?

Can someone plz explain to me this method of scamming? I really don't understand it. The scammer trades you buds? And you have to have your friend hold onto your unusuals why?

They then follow to impersonate your account, profile picture and name, and trick your friend into thinking they're you.

They then follow to impersonate your account, profile picture and name, and trick your friend into thinking they're you.

I still don't understand any of this or why someone wud fall for it

>Scammer wants a friend's account

>Scammer pretends to be you?

>Then what? 

I still don't understand any of this or why someone wud fall for it

>Scammer wants a friend's account

>Scammer pretends to be you?

>Then what? 

Your friend thinks he's you and gives him your items, completely oblivious that he is giving your items to the scammer's alt.

Your friend thinks he's you and gives him your items, completely oblivious that he is giving your items to the scammer's alt.

Why would your friend have your items? Didn't the scammer add him directly and say he wanted to trade him like 60 buds? This whole method just seems ridiculous to get scammed from.

Why would your friend have your items? Didn't the scammer add him directly and say he wanted to trade him like 60 buds? This whole method just seems ridiculous to get scammed from.

Let me go over it then.

1. Scammer adds you

2. Scammer asks you to use a friend as a middleman and asks for his/her profile link

3. Scammer adds your friend and adds him/her to a group chat

4. Scammer asks you to transfer your items to your friend

5. Conversation ensues

6. Scammer alt, disguised as you, sends your friend a trade offer

7. Your friend, confused as to your intents for asking for the item back, thinking he's going first, or whatever happened during the conversation, accepts the trade offer, oblivious to the fact that it is not you.

8. Scammer now has your items.

Let me go over it then.

1. Scammer adds you

2. Scammer asks you to use a friend as a middleman and asks for his/her profile link

3. Scammer adds your friend and adds him/her to a group chat

4. Scammer asks you to transfer your items to your friend

5. Conversation ensues

6. Scammer alt, disguised as you, sends your friend a trade offer

7. Your friend, confused as to your intents for asking for the item back, thinking he's going first, or whatever happened during the conversation, accepts the trade offer, oblivious to the fact that it is not you.

8. Scammer now has your items.

Okay thanks for writing that as I understand it a bit more (Wouldn't u be in conversation with your friend even if this were to happen?), but in Jcapp's example, wasn't the scammer trading buds for the unusuals? Why would you need a middleman for that?

Okay thanks for writing that as I understand it a bit more (Wouldn't u be in conversation with your friend even if this were to happen?), but in Jcapp's example, wasn't the scammer trading buds for the unusuals? Why would you need a middleman for that?

"11:09 PM - dsaxcz: But if you change your mind you can backout i need your Trusted Friend or Real Friend to hold your Unusuals i need a confiramtion before ill buy the BUDS REMEMBER:I WONT GO FIRST"

Translation: I'm afraid that you might change your mind and backout, so I need your friend to hold onto your unusuals. I need to make sure you won't back out before I buy the buds.

In the scammer's excuse, he doesn't want the victim to back out, leaving the scammer with buds he bought for no reason, so he wants you to use your friend as a middleman so you cannot backout.

This attempt isn't the best example, however. What I find as a fault in this attempt is that he wants the middleman to go first for something that is not required for someone to go first with. It would be the same thing if the victim gave him the unusual before he "bought the buds" than if the middleman did.

Idk why anyone would need (or think they need) a middleman for a direct exchange of items.

Edit: knave's explanation makes sense, but who would back out of a good pure offer for unusuals? I suppose as usual they're preying on the uninformed.

"11:09 PM - dsaxcz: But if you change your mind you can backout i need your Trusted Friend or Real Friend to hold your Unusuals i need a confiramtion before ill buy the BUDS REMEMBER:I WONT GO FIRST"

Translation: I'm afraid that you might change your mind and backout, so I need your friend to hold onto your unusuals. I need to make sure you won't back out before I buy the buds.

In the scammer's excuse, he doesn't want the victim to back out, leaving the scammer with buds he bought for no reason, so he wants you to use your friend as a middleman so you cannot backout.

What I find as a fault in this attempt is that he wants the middleman to go first. It would be the same thing if the victim gave him the unusual before he "bought the buds" than if the middleman did.

The conversation here isn't the best example.

This really doesn't make any sense, if the scammer is afraid of you backing out, your unusuals would be with your friend and your friend would just give it back to you anyways. How would transferring unusuals to your friend solve the issue of you backing out? 

This is seriously the dumbest scamming method I have seen, how would anyone fall for it? Like the logic of everything about it makes absolutely no sense.

This really doesn't make any sense, if the scammer is afraid of you backing out, your unusuals would be with your friend and your friend would just give it back to you anyways. How would transferring unusuals to your friend solve the issue of you backing out? 

This is seriously the dumbest scamming method I have seen, how would anyone fall for it? Like the logic of everything about it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm assuming the scammer explains to your friend the scenario or something. I agree, it's stupid, but it works.

Or maybe I'm missing a step. I've yet to experience it myself.

Something similar happened to me, but they were reaaaaaly dumb. I fucked with them for a good hour or so before they decided to leave, asking them dumb questions and shit that they pretended to know the answers to. It was fun.

As I look back, scammers just seem to be getting more retarded by the month.

Bad thing is, people also seem to become more retarded by the month as well, and greedy, since they want to sell their items so quickly. Which leads to this s--t. Smh.

RIP Pixels.

Some scammer tried this with me, i sent him a phishers profile i had blocked :| He got so confused and after like 10 minutes he removed me

12:16 AM - rccoon: Hi
12:16 AM - rccoon: How can I help you?
12:16 AM - Genos: Hi
12:16 AM - Genos: 14 buds for ur rack
12:17 AM - Genos: trade me
12:17 AM - rccoon: You are marked as scammer, and I wont take 14 buds anyway.
12:18 AM - Genos: dumbass
12:18 AM - Genos: u wont get any better offers ever again
12:19 AM - Genos: gl with ur bad hat noob

YOU DON'T NEED A MIDDLE MAN FOR ITEM TO ITEM TRANSACTIONS THAT IS HOW YOU KNOW IT IS A SCAM.

Sorry for the caps but that is pretty much the summary of how not to get fooled by this. Also, nobody that asks for a middle man wants someone on your friends list.

YOU DON'T NEED A MIDDLE MAN FOR ITEM TO ITEM TRANSACTIONS THAT IS HOW YOU KNOW IT IS A SCAM.

Sorry for the caps but that is pretty much the summary of how not to get fooled by this. Also, nobody that asks for a middle man wants someone on your friends list.

This doesn't only apply to item trades. Scammers attempt this with PayPal trades too.

Archived