Opinions on my build?

AwesomeMcCoolName

PCPartPicker part list

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.98 @ Newegg) 
Thermal Compound:  Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($8.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard:  MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($144.79 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($76.50 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($503.98 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply:  Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer  ($21.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard:  Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Logitech Performance Mouse MX (already own) 
Operating System: Windows 7/8.1 Professional (Free)
Total: $1287.18

Any compatibility issues I might have looked over?

Whats a good keyboard? Right now, I'm looking at MSFT Sidewinder X4
>Relatively cheap (like 50~).
>number pad isn't important. 
>Backlit

Z87. I will admit that I haven't really looked into the price of Z97 boards, but as far as I can tell, Z97 is just for "enthusiasts" who are going to be running quad SSDs in Raid 0, or using rapid response, which is really a stupid technology in the first place. (Not really, but I don't think it's going to have a huge impact on performance as SSDs are (relatively) quickly dropping in price, and HDDs will EVENTUALLY be obsolete)

From what I read, you won't really see any performance boost (in gaming at least) from the extra $100 or so on a Z97 board, so I'm gonna go with Z87.

Z87. I will admit that I haven't really looked into the price of Z97 boards, but as far as I can tell, Z97 is just for "enthusiasts" who are going to be running quad SSDs in Raid 0, or using rapid response, which is really a stupid technology in the first place. (Not really, but I don't think it's going to have a huge impact on performance as SSDs are (relatively) quickly dropping in price, and HDDs will EVENTUALLY be obsolete)

From what I read, you won't really see any performance boost (in gaming at least) from the extra $100 or so on a Z97 board, so I'm gonna go with Z87.

Well, Im not sure if its a fluke or not, but the z97 and z87 g45 are both the same price (with the z87 actually being more).

looks like a nice build -- i think im in the market for a new pc aswell. I want to replace my 2550K i5 and 560ti.For case take a look at the phantoms. Pretty secksy

For case take a look at the phantoms. Pretty secksy

Thats a bit more than I was looking to spend, plus they're a bit on the large side. 

Take a look at this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3EKXN4

It's a bit more than you might want to spend, but I'd recommend you take a slightly cheaper motherboard (as a compact case will not allow SLI anyway, so there's no sense in paying for these types of features)

Consider downgrading to a 650W PSU, but 750W isn't too huge of waste... CX isn't as good as Corsair's other lines though

Take a look at this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3EKXN4

It's a bit more than you might want to spend, but I'd recommend you take a slightly cheaper motherboard (as a compact case will not allow SLI anyway, so there's no sense in paying for these types of features)

A mid tower should be able to fit sli graphics.

The Cooler master HAF 912 "should" be able to fit sli graphics.

Edit: Just went and measured my bag and I might have a bit of an issue....My carry-on only has room for 17x14x7 (inches)--8 inches if its more like 15 inches. So, it can't be any bigger than that--unless you have a good way of carrying it...Personally, I don't like the idea of just putting it in like a fabric shopping (like) bag. 

Edit 2: It doesn't look like there even exists a case thats smaller than (or equal to) 17x14x7....So i'm in need of a better idea for transporting a computer on a plane. 

Updated Parts list. 

Looks nice, what mouse will you be using?

Personally don't like the keyboard with lower keys on the left, but microsoft & razor got good keyboard.

Looks nice, what mouse will you be using?

Personally don't like the keyboard with lower keys on the left, but microsoft & razor got good keyboard.

I'm not set on the keyboard, and likely would go to bestbuy/staples and just look at some and see what I like best....thats just the one that seemed to catch my eye the most online. 

As for the mouse, I plan on using my Performance MX, which I'm currently using. 

Awesome, I'm just curious as I was looking through your other thread about a small case: are both threads about the same computer? And are you going to be regularly flying with it or something?

Anyway, I gotta go. I see a few changes you could make to the list, I'll post them here when I get back.

Awesome, I'm just curious as I was looking through your other thread about a small case: are both threads about the same computer? And are you going to be regularly flying with it or something?

Anyway, I gotta go. I see a few changes you could make to the list, I'll post them here when I get back.

Same build.

I'm going to be flying it back and forth twice a year. I go to school in Illinois, but live in nj. So I'll be flying it too and fro for the summer.

I'm also considering getting the 4770k instead of the i5 since it should be beneficial down the road when more and more games can utilize more cores (and hyper threading).

I doubt you'll need the 4770k. It's not 8 actual cores, it's just 4 with hyperthreading. Which is good for some programs, but it actually can cause performance decreases in games. I'd stick with the i5. Also if you're gonna be transporting it a lot, maybe a small pre-made liquid cooling system would be nice. Or you can go with the Hyper 212 Plus if you wanna save 10 bucks. It's just as good as the EVO.

Also you can get cheaper RAM.

And finally, I'd absolutely suggest a mechanical keyboard over the sidewinder. It makes a world of a difference, really.

I doubt you'll need the 4770k. It's not 8 actual cores, it's just 4 with hyperthreading. Which is good for some programs, but it actually can cause performance decreases in games. I'd stick with the i5. Also if you're gonna be transporting it a lot, maybe a small pre-made liquid cooling system would be nice. Or you can go with the Hyper 212 Plus if you wanna save 10 bucks. It's just as good as the EVO.

Also you can get cheaper RAM.

And finally, I'd absolutely suggest a mechanical keyboard over the sidewinder. It makes a world of a difference, really.

Well, like I said, 4670k vs. 4770k, I'm a bit iffy on....I'm of the belief that i5 is currently better than an i7 for gaming; but the i7 will be more advantageous in the future. The question is really how advantages since virtual cores are only a fraction of the "power" of a physical core....

And the only concern I have is the height of the fan as its 159mm and the case lists the fan clearance at 160mm....so its cutting it close assuming all measurements are done correctly and they account for the mobo. And on one hand, I kinda wanna go liquid cooling....but I don't really think its necessary...not atm as I don't plan on overclocking any time soon. For the fan, I might just get the Cooler Master T4 and just avoid the potential height issue. But that might cause issues with the RAM....so i'm open to alternatives 

As for the ram, its only a bit more than the alternatives as I can get 10% off. 

Are there any good mechanical keyboards around $50? Like I said, I'm still looking for opinions on keyboards. 

Well, like I said, 4670k vs. 4770k, I'm a bit iffy on....I'm of the belief that i5 is currently better than an i7 for gaming; but the i7 will be more advantageous in the future. The question is really how advantages since virtual cores are only a fraction of the "power" of a physical core....

And the only concern I have is the height of the fan as its 159mm and the case lists the fan clearance at 160mm....so its cutting it close assuming all measurements are done correctly and they account for the mobo. And on one hand, I kinda wanna go liquid cooling....but I don't really think its necessary...not atm as I don't plan on overclocking any time soon. For the fan, I might just get the Cooler Master T4 and just avoid the potential height issue. But that might cause issues with the RAM....so i'm open to alternatives 

As for the ram, its only a bit more than the alternatives as I can get 10% off. 

Are there any good mechanical keyboards around $50? Like I said, I'm still looking for opinions on keyboards. 

If you don't plan on overclocking, I'd just go with the stock cooler then. Upgrade sometime down the road if you ever decide to OC. As for the mechanical keyboards, Cooler Master Quickfire boards often go on sale for around $60.

Welp, I ordered it. 

Case: Cooler Master N200

GPU: EVGA ACX Superclocked GTX780 (w/ Watch Dogs)

PSU: Corsair RM650 650W Modular 

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1tb 7200rpm

SSD: Crucial M4 240gb 

CPU: Intel i5-4670k

Mobo: MSI Z87M Gaming

Ram: G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 8gb (2 x 4gb) 1866mhz

Total Cost (w/ tax+shipping): $1330. 

I already have a Performance Mouse MX, and Windows 7 Professional, as well as a Logitech Wave which I'll use until I go back to college. 

looks like a nice build -- i think im in the market for a new pc aswell. I want to replace my 2550K i5 and 560ti.For case take a look at the phantoms. Pretty secksy

2550K should still be more than alright for gaming. Performance gains from CPUs haven't changed that drastically since sandy bridge. Its just the 560Ti thats starting to age. 

PCPartPicker part list

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.98 @ Newegg) 

Thermal Compound:  Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($8.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard:  MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($144.79 @ Newegg) 

Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($76.50 @ Newegg) 

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($503.98 @ Newegg) 

Case:  Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply:  Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 

Optical Drive:  Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer  ($21.99 @ Newegg) 

Keyboard:  Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 

Mouse: Logitech Performance Mouse MX (already own) 

Operating System: Windows 7/8.1 Professional (Free)

Total: $1287.18

Any compatibility issues I might have looked over?

Whats a good keyboard? Right now, I'm looking at MSFT Sidewinder X4

>Relatively cheap (like 50~).

>number pad isn't important. 

>Backlit

Wish I could affort PCs like that. .-.

Welp, I ordered it. 

Case: Cooler Master N200

GPU: EVGA ACX Superclocked GTX780 (w/ Watch Dogs)

PSU: Corsair RM650 650W Modular 

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1tb 7200rpm

SSD: Crucial M4 240gb 

CPU: Intel i5-4670k

Mobo: MSI Z87M Gaming

Ram: G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 8gb (2 x 4gb) 1866mhz

Total Cost (w/ tax+shipping): $1330. 

I already have a Performance Mouse MX, and Windows 7 Professional, as well as a Logitech Wave which I'll use until I go back to college. 

Now that's a great build! Congrats! I'm assuming you've built a pc before, but if you need any help/have any questions, feel free to message me.

Now that's a great build! Congrats! I'm assuming you've built a pc before, but if you need any help/have any questions, feel free to message me.

Yeah, a few years back. 

Although, it should be interesting wiring everything up and making it decent considering how cramped it will likely be. 

But yeah, I agree--its pretty awesome. The only thing I could get, which I would've wanted would be an ATX case along with an ATX board as well as a water cooler....But considering I need to bring it onto a plane size is a crucial issue; and TSA being what it is, water cooling probably isn't worthwhile. Not to mention the constant changes in pressure could (?) mess with a water system -- if it wasn't build perfectly (?). 

Although, it should be interesting wiring everything up and making it decent considering how cramped it will likely be. 

Yeah, that should be fun. But at least it's not micro-ITX

Yeah, that should be fun. But at least it's not micro-ITX

True.....very true. 

*shivers* ITX *shivers* ew

BTW, do you know if the MSI Z87m supports usb booting? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on any spec sheet/review. 

True.....very true. 

*shivers* ITX *shivers* ew

BTW, do you know if the MSI Z87m supports usb booting? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on any spec sheet/review. 

I don't know for sure, but I bet it does. Practically all decent motherboards nowadays do. I would expect it from a feature-packed board like that.

I don't know for sure, but I bet it does. Practically all decent motherboards nowadays do. I would expect it from a feature-packed board like that.

As would I, but I can't find anything to confirm that. 

Archived