Possible new scam?

Cup

Hello,

Today someone added me to buy all my unusuals for pure. I immediately suspected him of being a phisher/scammer but wanted to hear what he had got to say. He offered me 19 pure buds for all my unusuals(About 19 buds). The only thing was, he wanted me to give my unusuals to a trusted friend, to be sure that they wouldn't get sold. I didn't felt like doing that so told him to find someone else.

Is this a new way of scamming? Someone added me before with the exact same offer and also wanted me to give my unusuals to a trusted friend. 

- Cup

(First post on the Backpack.tf forums)

This is a scam attempt, he would appear with a impersonator of your friend to suddenly trade you, and the idea is that you'd give "your friend", i.e the scammer, your unusuals.

Rule 1:  If it sounds to good to be true, it most likely is.

Rule 2: If it seems sketchy in any way, it usually is.  

they tried to find a stupid person, luckily you didnt fell for it

-Pearly

(561th post on the Backpack.tf forums)

It's a stupid scam where you wonder how the hell can anyone fall for it but apparently a lot of people fall prey...

Essentially if you say yes, he then impersonates your friend and takes your items

I also heard of a variation of this, where you actually give them to your real friend, but then they have someone impersonate _you_ and your friend gives them back to the wrong person (eg, the scammers).

I've had this scam just last night. I looked into the Scammer's inventory and all I found was a mercenary badge.... Nothing else...just the Badge. Right there, I knew it was already sketchy, but I played along to see how the scam worked. At the time, I chose my trusted friend to be Faceman. So some lengthy dialogue later, the Impersonator sent me a trade. Immediately knew it was fake from the start, but the Tiny little period at the end of the impersonator's name gave it away. All I have to say is...Trading can be frustrating...  -_-

Archived