Can we stop making suggestions to decrease big item values by 0.25 keys?

polar

This website is getting spammed with all these kinds of suggestions every two days - http://backpack.tf/vote/id/517412faba25367251000007#517415ddba2536285600000c_row

I understand the market in all key-based items is volatile. But we're just adding fuel to the fire here. Let's wait a week, or at least 4 days, in between prices to let things settle a bit and THEN make a meaningful suggestion instead of just changing something by 0.25 keys.

Also, can we wait a week in between key suggestions to actually get a more holistic view about key prices? Changing key prices every 2 days is just adding fuel to the fire. Since the last key suggestion was passed (5 days ago) the key prices have been as stable as we've seen them for a while. I think everyone is fed up of seeing 4 key suggestions at the same time every other day.

Prices on all items vary across a week and even within a single day. For example, there is much less volume of trading on weekdays compared to weekends. If we can wait a week in between most suggestions, we'll get a much better picture about an items value and trends. There are few exceptions, of course, like salvaged crate items that can drop much faster than that. But I don't understand why we have to make changes on stable items every few days.

This website is getting spammed with all these kinds of suggestions every two days - http://backpack.tf/vote/id/517412faba25367251000007#517415ddba2536285600000c_row

I understand the market in all key-based items is volatile. But we're just adding fuel to the fire here. Let's wait a week, or at least 4 days, in between prices to let things settle a bit and THEN make a meaningful suggestion instead of just changing something by 0.25 keys.

Also, can we wait a week in between key suggestions to actually get a more holistic view about key prices? Changing key prices every 2 days is just adding fuel to the fire. Since the last key suggestion was passed (5 days ago) the key prices have been as stable as we've seen them for a while. I think everyone is fed up of seeing 4 key suggestions at the same time every other day.

Prices on all items vary across a week and even within a single day. For example, there is much less volume of trading on weekdays compared to weekends. If we can wait a week in between most suggestions, we'll get a much better picture about an items value and trends. There are few exceptions, of course, like salvaged crate items that can drop much faster than that. But I don't understand why we have to make changes on stable items every few days.

Took a look at your accuracy. Holy crap.

The creators/followers of this site do not believe that they/it should function as a governing/regulatory body and will do nothing of that sort.

I totally agree with you and I'm fed up with users repwhoring like this. I even made a thread about 1 scrap changes.

In my opinion, the problem is that if there is enough proof that the item dropped 0.11 or 0.25 of a key in 1 day, closing the suggestion is unfair. Blocking suggestions of one item for a week or 4 days or whatever just seems like a bad idea. Some items change prices pretty fast and others take a long time. 

This was the main reason I was against those s gunslinger suggestions, but ultimately there was enough proof to support the changes.

We're never going to be perfectly accurate, but if the difference is noticeable and there's enough proof to support it there's not much point getting fussy

The problem is that if you are trying to show price increases its easy to find proof as sellers will easily move up to a group of apparent willing buyers.  If your try to find proof for decrease it is a bit harder as sellers will try not to entertain any low offers and will possibly close trades that have too many low offers.

I close trades when it seems there are few offers for any item in post or when 4 of 8 have sold but someone could close because they don't want to show the item has been for sale too long and only received low offers.

Also, seller would gladly sell for 20% higher but not 20% lower.

Mods/Admins could set 5 -10% change threshold for a suggestiin. Also, should every item be given a range?

Not every item has a range. Mods already have this 10% barrier, especially senanigans.

The problem is that if you are trying to show price increases its easy to find proof as sellers will easily move up to a group of apparent willing buyers.  If your try to find proof for decrease it is a bit harder as sellers will try not to entertain any low offers and will possibly close trades that have too many low offers.

I close trades when it seems there are few offers for any item in post or when 4 of 8 have sold but someone could close because they don't want to show the item has been for sale too long and only received low offers.

Also, seller would gladly sell for 20% higher but not 20% lower.

Other way around. Willing buyers are hard to find as they buy and the seller trades close. You just do not eliminate the range instead. Find Find sellers below current range. I personally think dropping item is easier. (plus more upvotes)

We should just start enforcing a 5% change rule just like with unusuals but set the time limit to 3 days or even 1 week instead of 2 months

This was the main reason I was against those s gunslinger suggestions, but ultimately there was enough proof to support the changes.

We're never going to be perfectly accurate, but if the difference is noticeable and there's enough proof to support it there's not much point getting fussy

I totally agree with you and I'm fed up with users repwhoring like this. I even made a thread about 1 scrap changes.

In my opinion, the problem is that if there is enough proof that the item dropped 0.11 or 0.25 of a key in 1 day, closing the suggestion is unfair. Blocking suggestions of one item for a week or 4 days or whatever just seems like a bad idea. Some items change prices pretty fast and others take a long time. 

I have no problem if the suggestion is accurate and if prices are really dropping down fast. I do have a problem if the proof is shitty and people post just for the easy rep. Look at the shitty proof on this suggestion that got 75% positive vote and note the counterproof: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/517412faba25367251000007#517415ddba2536285600000c_row

I used half of his own links as COUNTERPROOF! I see an increasing trend of using unsolds as the entirety of proof in suggestions. That is just flat out lazy, and most voters don't actually click the links to verify if they are still unsold over time. They vote only at the time they see the suggestion (usually in the very beginning). If, at the time the suggestion passes, half the links are sold and it has 80% positive votes, how should the suggestion still pass?

Hmmm?

We should just start enforcing a 5% change rule just like with unusuals but set the time limit to 3 days or even 1 week instead of 2 months

1 week, and here's why: items sell at different prices on weekdays vs the weekends due to vastly different trading volumes. Items sell much more easily, even at higher prices, on the weekend. This will also allow people to use much more data to get a holistic view about how an item is trending. Evidence up to a week old will be fair game for normal items and suggestions will be forced to use better proof to make a suggestion because counterproof up to a week old will be fair.

And as for currency, no need for a 5% change rule. But still set a grace period for 1 week to give the market time to settle to see how keys/buds are trending. If there is one thing we have learned in the last few weeks, it's that this website DOES impact the value of currency.

1 guy is quickselling, lets lower the price based on that. Community votes up and price gets accepted. 1 guy receives a good offer. No, no raise he is just "lucky".

Bringing prices down is the only thing happening here. Its very simple to do that. Show unsold ones, show some lowball buyers and you got your self a suggestion that will likely pass. Trying to make a vote to bring price up is way harder.

Lately with so many users around everything is going to shit

Archived