SFM settings, suggestions, or tips

FreeZie hc™

I use to use SFM but stopped for about half a year and now im getting back into it again

old stuff: http://freez1e.minus.com/

Im looking to get a bit better at it so any helpful videos or lighting tips, whats the best settings for really good quality posters?

Any tips or suggestions or criticism for anything would be great.

How to get sunbeams so sharp like this guys? http://tehjawn.minus.com/i/fddEE8edCFlR

thanks 

Why is medic snorting his medi-gun?

was a poster request for someone they wanted the kritz taunt

Some of the posters look great, but its sort of weird. On most you do really well to capture the unusual effect, but on a few its less noticable than it should be such as: http://i4.minus.com/iBqH5hJsxBXBc.png

idk if its nit-picky, just sort of putting it out there because the one thing posters can do that in game screenshots can't are enhancing the visibility of unusual effects which I realize is one of the things you're curious about :P

Sunbeams are shit to do.

1. Turn down environmental light.
  2. Make that motherfucker light as shit.
  3. Export
  4. Photoshop lens flares
  5. Make contrast high as fuck.

Some of the posters look great, but its sort of weird. On most you do really well to capture the unusual effect, but on a few its less noticable than it should be such as: http://i4.minus.com/iBqH5hJsxBXBc.png

idk if its nit-picky, just sort of putting it out there because the one thing posters can do that in game screenshots can't are enhancing the visibility of unusual effects which I realize is one of the things you're curious about :P

yea haha but thanks

Sunbeams are shit to do.

1. Turn down environmental light.
  2. Make that motherfucker light as shit.
  3. Export
  4. Photoshop lens flares
  5. Make contrast high as fuck.

thanks ill try it

Put your render settings at 1024, it will make the poster sharper. The poster you showet with the sharp beams must have gotten sharpenend in photoshop(or other image editing software).

You can sharpen images in GIMP aswell.

Alex said that you could turn down the tonemapscale, but remember, this will cause you to make more lights, and the unusual effects will also be darkenend, and there is no way to fix that(not even in the particles editor)

Also, Tehjawn is probably one of the best at sfm that I have ever seen, so some of it may be skill.

To me it looks meh, I can tell the light quality by looking at the shadows. It's not there yet.and he slapped it with stockss so ...

Stockss?

Put your render settings at 1024, it will make the poster sharper. The poster you showet with the sharp beams must have gotten sharpenend in photoshop(or other image editing software).

You can sharpen images in GIMP aswell.

Alex said that you could turn down the tonemapscale, but remember, this will cause you to make more lights, and the unusual effects will also be darkenend, and there is no way to fix that(not even in the particles editor)

Also, Tehjawn is probably one of the best at sfm that I have ever seen, so some of it may be skill.

thanks ill try it

Stockss?

thanks ill try it

Just don't think of editing posters.

I was trained to not to rely on post processing when I make posters before I start editing posters few months ago, so that it won't look like crap even from fresh poster renders.

If your fresh render is crap, you aren't going anywhere.

Archived