Valve games keep crashing

sanny

Just to start this off, I am asking for a friend b/c he doesn't want to use the forums.

Recently my friends games have been crashing for no reason. We would play for hours on end before but can't play more than 30 minutes now. The games that crash are only Valve games (TF2, CS:GO, L4D etc.). He does not get an error message and instead the game will freeze, loop whatever sound is going on, then close. 

Any help or point in the right direction would be most appreciated. I don't know his exact specs, but he has an Alienware x51 if that helps.

Things we've tried:

Reinstalling the games

Closing any programs that aren't steam or the game

Restarting pc

Just verify the integrity of the games.

It's probably a messed up file in there.

DO NOT REINSTALL STEAM, ALL YOUR GAME WILL BE UNINSTALLED!

Probably a problem with his computer. My brother had an Asus laptop do a similar thing, pretty sure its a RAM issue.

Probably a problem with his computer. My brother had an Asus laptop do a similar thing, pretty sure its a RAM issue.

If this is the case, try allocating more memory by going to the game's properties and click "set launch options." Then, type in "-heapsize [Half of your RAM in kilobytes]" without the quotes nor the brackets. I believe there is a certain limit of how much memory you can allocate, which I believe is 3 GB.

Just to start this off, I am asking for a friend b/c he doesn't want to use the forums.

Recently my friends games have been crashing for no reason. We would play for hours on end before but can't play more than 30 minutes now. The games that crash are only Valve games (TF2, CS:GO, L4D etc.). He does not get an error message and instead the game will freeze, loop whatever sound is going on, then close. 

Any help or point in the right direction would be most appreciated. I don't know his exact specs, but he has an Alienware x51 if that helps.

Things we've tried:

Reinstalling the games

Closing any programs that aren't steam or the game

Restarting pc

This happened to a friend of mine a few months back

He reseated the RAM and that fixed it

Try that

Archived