Suggestion to prevent scamming.

Betasecret

So alot of you probably know this technique and it's obvious only the less experienced traders fall for it.

However, it happens once in a while that someone gets scammed by this technique. And I thought we could maybe come up with a way to prevent that.

So as an example:

Scammer: Pomson worth 15 keys, give me your item worth 15 keys.

Scammer: Check bp.tf.

Scammer: Gives link: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/521eb1eeba25361d358b4573

It's obvious for the majority of traders that this is an outdated link. However some (less experienced) traders are falling for this.

Maybe we can get a little warning that this suggestion is outdated once a new suggestion gets accepted?

Opinions?

I think not. If you're linked to a pricing website where all prices are listed, and you're stupid enough to not read and/or fall for something like this,then well--thinning of the heard.

Also, this is sharking not scamming.

I don't see how people can fall for this when it clearly says "9months ago"

and by looking at Alternate/Past suggestions

I think not. If you're linked to a pricing website where all prices are listed, and you're stupid enough to not read and/or fall for something like this,then well--thinning of the heard.

Also, this is sharking not scamming.

agree

You can only help a person so much before you realize that stupid gon' be stupid. I think what Awesome sums up the argument against this quite nicely.

In regards to the issue raised - Well - It does happen - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tf2outpost/discussions/8/558747287359270298/

It's classified as Item Misrepresentation - and is an offense that may result in a ban.

What needs to be thought of is a more accurate system

- The term "Current Price" is currently a misleading term - As a trader may may believe that it is the price as at the present moment of time

- I'd also say that "New Price" is also inaccurate - especially if a suggestion has been rejected - Some users may interpret "New Price" as the price right now

For example - we could have 3 different prices

1) Potential Price / Suggested Price - The price that has been suggested

2) Present Price / Existing Price / Market Price / Backpack.Tf Price / Latest Price - The price of the item at the present moment of time

3) Past Price / Current Price -To differentiate - the price market price at the time of the suggestion - perhaps a better term is required. 

In addition the - as had been suggested - a warning stating "Outdated Price" will also help

Too Long; Didn't Read: "New Price" & "Current Price" are misleading terms - A discussion to find out a more appropriate form of wording would be useful

• Administrators

I don't see how people can fall for this when it clearly says "9months ago"

and by looking at Alternate/Past suggestions

You would be surprised.

Look how this person got scammed.

http://tf2r.com/k0khco9.html

• Administrators

You need to be on another level of idiot to fall for this.

The sad thing is...There are people who fall for this type of scam. Instead of people increasing their intelligence, they fall down to the lowest level of intelligence and fall for stupid scam like this.

If you're that dumb to ignore this.

-IMAGE-

Then you should not be trading.

That yellow warning has been implemented after I posted this suggestion.

When someone gets sharked now it will be entirely their own fault in my opinion.

Archived