Voters Provide an Explanation For Their Vote

Kejsumaru™

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but I have a proposal for backpack.tf that would greatly benefit the purpose of the voting system.

My proposal is that when voters vote for/against a suggestion, they should be required to provide at least a one sentence explanation as to why they voted for/against the suggestion. It doesn't have to be for every item that gets priced, but for more important suggestions, especially bud, key, and ref suggestions. It could benefit to learn why somebody votes, so we can separate blind votes from votes with an actual purpose.

For example, on the majority of key suggestions, the voting score lies at 50-60%. This is mostly because people despise the rise of keys, and downvote immediately when they see a suggestion for the raising of the price. It's difficult to pass suggestions like these with positive community feedback when a large part of the voting body is 12 year old children who completely miss the purpose of the voting system, and don't even glance at provided proof (i.e http://i.imgur.com/s40IJIq.png).

If we were to add a feature that asks for why a voter chooses his vote on a suggestion, we could separate proof-based and reasonable votes from blind "stop raising keys!" votes, and account for relevant votes rather than hate-driven blind votes. Adding this to bud, key, and ref suggestions could improve the amount of constructive criticism and proof analysis and hopefully decrease the amount of opinion-based off task claims. 

Because mods don't have any better things to do than read hundreds of pointless comments

Only a few hundred to a few thousand :)

I had that in mind, thats why I thought it should only be for important suggestions, not EVERYTHING that gets priced.

Only a few hundred to a few thousand :)

I had that in mind, thats why I thought it should only be for important suggestions, not EVERYTHING that gets priced.

some already post comments on why they downvoted and they usually go something like

"keys are rising too fast, downvote because i think they should be 5 ref again"

which makes anyone reading it just a little bit dumber

Actually I find this suggestion could have quite a potential. When you click either votes, there should be a *square* below it saying a quick explanation why you did. Maybe just like 1-2 sentences. Longer ones should go to comments. Then there can be a separate page (like some hyperlink below the voting *square* or something) with pages of comments why they voted against it or supporting it, so not only mods can view it but users can too. Of course there can be anonymous settings and all.

Overall, I like the idea.

*stupid sphere

Noooooo too much work for voters and mods. You can just say stuff in the comments.

Noooooo too much work for voters and mods. You can just say stuff in the comments.

I don't see why not. You're not forced (and I guess mods too) to look at their reasoning, just completely optional to read, just like comments. 

Actually I find this suggestion could have quite a potential. When you click either votes, there should be a box below it saying a quick explanation why you did. Maybe just like 1-2 sentences. Longer ones should go to comments. Then there can be a separate page (like some hyperlink below the voting box or something) with pages of comments why they voted against it or supporting it, so not only mods can view it but users can too. Of course there can be anonymous settings and all.

Overall, I like the idea.

*stupid sphere

FTFY

• Administrators

Because mods don't have any better things to do than read hundreds of pointless comments

Nobody is forcing anyone to read comments whether pointless or not. Do you read all the comments posted on suggestions now? Of course not.

I believe this is indeed a good idea to look upon on. 

Instead of removing the voting thing from the front page, we could just implement this.

This would interrupt my long streaks of blind upvoting certain people. NO

Well it should only be for keys/other currency

No way requiring text input will work, or will be wanted.

Now an OPTIONAL poll that pops for why you voted down might work as long as it is hidden from the rabble until the voting is closed.

Archived