Deciding on a Tech class for next year. Help/Opinions?

Polo

Tech Class Opinion  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Class?

• Database Essentials
    • Programming Essentials

Hey guys, so I'm looking at my 2 tech elective classes to take next year and was wondering what would be more important in your opinion. 

Choices:

Database Essentials

Programming Essentials

I am not sure if these are pre-requisites to any other classes, I'll have to get an update for that later.

(Note: I know nothing about either, and the only info I have about the class is the name, hoping that the name suggests what the class is about, lol.)

I'm in a programming class myself and I find it helpful not only in the confines of the class, but also in how to properly tackle issues or problems that arise in everyday life. If you've ever spent hours idiot-proofing code, then you know a lot about how to handle discussing certain topics or how to get your point across with people.

Also it makes you feel elite when your code works and you see your progress on the screen.  :lol:

My brother majored in computer science when he was in college and loved the coding aspect of it as well. He worked for one of his friend's dad's company working on databases afterwards and he seemed less enthused about doing it, but everyone reacts to classes differently. Just go with the one you would rather learn more about, and you'll be bound to learn something interesting to carry with you into the future.  :)

I'm in a programming class myself and I find it helpful not only in the confines of the class, but also in how to properly tackle issues or problems that arise in everyday life. If you've ever spent hours idiot-proofing code, then you know a lot about how to handle discussing certain topics or how to get your point across with people.

Also it makes you feel elite when your code works and you see your progress on the screen.  :lol:

My brother majored in computer science when he was in college and loved the coding aspect of it as well. He worked for one of his friend's dad's company working on databases afterwards and he seemed less enthused about doing it, but everyone reacts to classes differently. Just go with the one you would rather learn more about, and you'll be bound to learn something interesting to carry with you into the future.  :)

Thanks, I'll definitely look into this class more :)

Programming all the way. If you can program, you can create a program to transfer the data into a database. However, Database will help if you'll be taking programming 101 later and you know some basics already.

Allow me to put it this way: If you know a little coding and plan to do it as a continued career, do the Databases. It'll make you competitive (as in able to compete with) with the other students. If you are new to coding, or need practice in a new language, go for the coding class.

• 2 months later...

SERIOUSLY. One of the best feelings ever.

Programming is more useful in more roles than database understanding. 

With a basic knowledge of programming, scripting will come to you a lot easier which is helpful for on the fly needs.

However, databases will come up in every technical role. I would suggest a more indepth knowledge of programming and scripting over databases, but get educated a little in both.

Archived