Building a new computer!

Jubei

So I cashed out all my stuff for keys and then sold them for real money. Now I sit upon a huge pile cash! So I decided to build me a new computer!

Current Specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 645 @ 3.1 GHz

Asus M4A887TD AM3 AMD 870 

Radeon 5770 1GB

2 x 2GB DDR3

2 x 4GB DDR3 (For a total of 12GB - both sets are Ripjaws from 

G.Skill - although the pair of 4's are series X and a tad faster)

Samsung Evo 840 120GB SSD for Boot

Seagate 2TB 7200 for slower programs and data

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610W PSU

Coolermaster Centurion Case

Some random SATA DVD Burner - prob a liteon.

Acer 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 retail.

Microsoft keyboard, pair of logitech mice (one for gaming, one for goofing off)

Going to replace the case, psu, CPU, motherboard, GPU, and the 2GB DDR3 DIMMs. The SSD and the HD are less than a year old.

The case is 8ish years old and missing some pieces, has some broken tabs and expansion slot covers.

The PSU is about 5 years old and while it's a workhorse, it's time to retire it - just to be safe.

So here's what I've put together so far:

Cooler Master HAF 922

EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB

CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W PSU

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (this is the exact same ram as the pair of 4's that I would keep - it would bring the total to 16GB)

ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI 

Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell 3.2GHz LGA 1150

I *might* get a 16GB ram kit and run a total of 24GB

I am also considering another evo 120GB and run the two in RAID - but I am unsure if the TRIM issue in RAID for windows 7 has been resolved or of the garbage collection on the drive itself is up to the task. I'm no stranger to RAID setups, as all my previous builds went RAID 0 before I got the SSD.

I am open to suggestions for best case under $100 and best MB around $150 or possibly as much as $200.

I do not intend to overclock, so stock cooler is probably sufficient if the air flow in the case is good. 

And while it's been a while since I built a computer from the ground up, I can put one together in a few hours (including OS install) - so I'm not worried about the actual process of putting it together.

So... thoughts, suggestions, feedback?

Posted · Hidden by Chief D, May 7, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Chief D, May 7, 2014 - No reason given

K.

Get a unlocked cpu (the 4570k i.e), you might want to overclock in the future even if you don't feel like it now, unlocked cpu's are also easier to resell used if you want to upgrade, they don't cost that much more so it's worth every penny in my opinion.

I'd also change out that psu, 750w is overkill, you'd be better off going with something like a 550w corsair RM series, they are guaranteed to not coil whine, they have higher efficiency, much quieter and better quality. 550w is more than enough for future upgrades and expandability. When it comes to power supplies quality is really much more important than having a overpowered 750w psu, for that computer. Also, a psu reaches its highest efficiency at around 50% load, so having an overpowered psu isn't even good in any way.

Raid on ssd's is not worth it in my opinion, they are fast as they are so you won't really tell a huge difference in the every-day usage scenarios, it just looks nice in benchmarks but it's really not worth the extra money. Just get one large and good performing ssd.

Also the haf 922 is fugly imo but cases are mostly personal preference so yeah^^

>Buying Windows 

AHAHAHAHAHAH

No offence but if you use certain...Captain Jack Sparrows methods...You can save quite a bit. Depending on the games your planning to run, CPU&GPU might be a bit weak?

>Buying Windows 

AHAHAHAHAHAH

No offence but if you use certain...Captain Jack Sparrows methods...You can save quite a bit. Depending on the games your planning to run, CPU&GPU might be a bit weak?

What's your problem with buying Windows, it's stupid to be stupidly cheap, and to not buy windows is being retardedly cheap.

Cpu is perfectly fine for all the games on the market today and will do fine for many years, gpu is also decent but depending on what games OP plays and what resolution he plays in he might want to pick a more powerful graphics card, but again, 760 isn't weak in any way.

I already own windows - not buying it again.

And sorry, should have added that the wife uses Lite Room and Photoshop A LOT with RAW images. Sometimes with even 12GB it hits the swap file.

I already own windows - not buying it again.

And sorry, should have added that the wife uses Lite Room and Photoshop A LOT with RAW images. Sometimes with even 12GB it hits the swap file.

ahh yea....I do some RAW work myself and even with 16gb ram I get really bogged down.

You should however get an i7 for cs6/lightroom though.

@OP

CPU: As previously stated, get a K series. Easier to resell, will last you longer (overclock to push more out of it later on after the warranty's expired). i5 is fine if you're just using the thing for gaming

Memory: Honestly 8 will suffice if you're running in an SSD environment. 16's more than enough. 24's overkill.

SSD/HDD: 2x SSD in raid0 = you'll never notice a difference. Especially with the Samsungs. Yes you could mirror them with raid1 but how are you that worried about losing what's on your boot drive? The money would be better spent buying another 2TB and running it in raid1 with your current drive to have a failsafe for your actual data.

GPU: Unless you're getting it for the same price or cheaper than the non-sc version then save yourself the money and overclock the card yourself. EVGA already provides utilities to do this (that won't void your warranty) and I've never see a non-tweaked card that couldn't meet and exceed it's tweaked cousin in terms of clock speeds.

Mobo: The Z87-A is actually a very good mobo for the entry-level crowd. Only things you really need to watch out for are the rear-panel USB ports (only 6) and the legacy PCI slots (only 1 available if you're running the video card you selected.) Small gripes but still something to watch out for.

PSU: 750's a bit much if you're only running a single GPU but if you even think for a moment that you might upgrade to an SLI setup in the future then go ahead and get it. If not, then a ~600 will be plenty. My personal preference is for the Corsair TX series but all of Corsair's line is pretty solid in my experience.

Case: That's going to completely depend on you. Personal taste is the biggest deciding factor in cases. Other things to watch out for are servicability and airflow. Just keep in mind you're going to need a standard mid-tower with that mobo. I've personally run a CM690 through two builds and have absolutely loved it.

Keep those notes in mind and you'll have a pretty decent everyday/gaming system that should hold up well for a number of years (provided some hardware manufacturer doesn't come through with some mind-blowing advancement in tech).

I went with a 750W as I intend to keep it around for several builds. It does offer some room to to grow even if the MB right now does not. In all honesty, if I ever decide to go SLI, I'll also upgrade the MB along with it. When I got the 610W that's in there now, I technically only needed 400W - but as I upgraded to a nicer graphics card, the extra wattage was required (although the current card doesn't require nearly that much). The other factor is that I'm only saving $10ish over lesser units so might as well get it.

I switched out the 8GB kit above for a 16GB kit that will work with the new MB. Supposedly the 8GB kit I plan to keep will also work, but if the two together don't get along I'll have at least 16GB. If the two kits do work together there no reason to not just have 24GB even if it won't get much use. RAM drives are fun to play with.

For an extra $5 I was able to move up a notch for the processor (4670). Since I don't resell old stuff (it hangs around for parts until obsolete and then gets recycled), I don't care about resell value. As far as overclocking goes? While I've played around with some in the past, I just don't worry about it anymore. The extra money spent on cooling is probably better spent on a faster chip or other upgrade.

I went ahead and ordered the stuff. I should have it on Monday. I'll probably build it Tuesday and be up and running 100% on Wednesday.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Oh and the reason I didn't get an i7 is that the extra $$ will be needed to replace the hard drive in the wife's laptop. It has some bad sectors and a warning status on SMART.

I thought she could get away with a 120GB SSD, but when I looked at her used space, she was clocked in at 350GB - 270GB of which was in applications - all of which she uses!

So we are going to get her a hybrid. Something a bit faster than what she has now without having to drop 3/4 of the cost of her crappy i3 for a SSD that can hold her stuff.

I offered to just get her a better machine while we were at it, but she likes it... not going to argue over saving money.

she was clocked in at 350GB - 270GB of which was in applications - all of which she uses!

Consolidate programs. 

Have you met my wife?

Might as well ask her to sleep with a smelly, VD infested hobo for $10k...

Archived