Ward - MvM Anyone?

What sould we do about guns?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Guns?

• Ban them. Too much death, too little reason.
    • Just leave them be.
    • Only sell them to responsible and sane people, run background checks on people and see if they're worthy of a gun.
    • Only give fully trained Police guns.
    • Just ban heavy weaponry (Assault Rifle's, Shotguns, Fully automatic guns etc)

Nah. They outnumber people to seem scary and get what they need. If they can avoid using weapons, they will avoid using weapons, because the punishment for for example armed robbery is way bigger than normal robbery.

I've been robbed 3 times during my life even, never have the robbers been wielding weapons. They're after money, not killing people. And luckily they don't have to worry about getting killed either.

Yes, but those people don't have guns, and thats the key point. Criminals who have guns use them to get their way, not to defend themselves. 

And based on your logic, we should ban guns because it makes it harder for criminals to rob you. Yep, I definitely agree to that, since they're going to rob you anyway, might as well make it easy for them and minimize and punishments against them. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but those people don't have guns, and thats the key point. Criminals who have guns use them to get their way, not to defend themselves. 

And based on your logic, we should ban guns because it makes it harder for criminals to rob you. Yep, I definitely agree to that, since they're going to rob you anyway, might as well make it easy for them and minimize and punishments against them. 

Did you purposefully mistunderstand what I wrote in my 2 past posts, or did you just refuse to think?

The easy access (and not to mention NRA'a lobbyism) amongst others, has got the American society to this point where guns are used to make yourself more dangerous than those you are afraid of. People claim they need them for self defence, but in the process of doing so, they make their surroundings more dangerous, thus increasing their "need" for more weapons. 

And as I said in my first post, I doubt that this problem is any easily fixable.

Lol I don't see how there's such a huge lobby for background checks, I mean there is literally no way anyone can say that it's better for people with intent to kill to have guns than not

I wish we could just Ban them all, and destroy them.

And finally begin doing badass things like sword fighting, and how to beat up a guy with your hands

I wish we could just Ban them all, and destroy them.

And finally begin doing badass things like sword fighting, and how to beat up a guy with your hands

yea...no thanks, I'd prefer to die to a bullet than having a limb cut off.

Everyone seems to be overlooking the problem here. 90% of gun related crimes you hear about in the media are committed by people who legally own their guns.

If we want to fix the gun problem, improve the quality of mental health care. Most of these crimes are committed by people who have mental health issues.

Everyone seems to be overlooking the problem here. 90% of gun related crimes you hear about in the media are committed by people who legally own their guns.

If we want to fix the gun problem, improve the quality of mental health care. Most of these crimes are committed by people who have mental health issues.

Hence the need for better background checks. I also believe that people should be required to take a training course in order to own a gun as well. But, background checks are key--people should be required to pass a common sense test as well as display 100% mental competence. 

Hence the need for better background checks. I also believe that people should be required to take a training course in order to own a gun as well. But, background checks are key--people should be required to pass a common sense test as well as display 100% mental competence. 

How would this be defined though? Look at modern, western countries outside of the US, and I am sure most people would question your mental state already when you want to get a gun.

90%

No. This is horribly inaccurate.

How would this be defined though? Look at modern, western countries outside of the US, and I am sure most people would question your mental state already when you want to get a gun.

Wanting to defend yourself, you must be insane!

No. This is horribly inaccurate.

I've already had my 2 cents on why the self defence argument is completely falsible.

Also gives a new chant to the sound if you type it as real as it is:

Wanting to kill others, you must be insane!

Wanting to live in a society where guns aren't a problem, how insane!

Wanting to live in a society where guns aren't a problem, how insane!

I want to live in a society where guns aren't a problem, but that will probably never exist.

I've already had my 2 cents on why the self defence argument is completely falsible.

Also gives a new chant to the sound if you type it as real as it is:

Wanting to kill others, you must be insane!

Not going to respond to the "new chant to the sound" argument, that's just fucking stupid. Wanting to legally buy a gun =/= wanting to kill someone. Sure, you can murder someone with a gun, but there are also many other uses. I can murder someone with a knife, so when I say "I want a knife", I'm clearly saying "I want to kill someone"

As far as your "2 cents" goes, you didn't say shit. You said that criminals buy guns to protect themselves against normal people and the police? Or something? Do they legally attain these weapons? No, they don't, so limiting who can legally buy guns does absolutely nothing for this, it just takes them out of the hands of people who will actually use them according to the law. For protection.

You also mentioned that some people grow up believing that owning a gun is the only way to feel safe, and to protect themselves from criminals? If they're taught that owning a gun is good to protect yourself against criminals, how can you have any problem with this? I think it's a problem when they're taught to use guns for bad reasons, which they are not.

we need to reform alot of issues in schools as well, if teachers see someone or hears about someone getting bullied they NEED to do something about it. A lot of teachers don't take the issue seruisly or escalate the situation, Many of these school shootings happen because of issues like this.

Also the media thing I believe, whats a more conterversial story? criminails kill each other in shootout over illegal drugs (happens ALL the time but we almost never hear about it) or man commits a double murder suicide (we would be hearing this for atleast a week).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To people wanting to fully ban guns, let's look at how good prohibition worked in the US, criminals got rich off of it and crime rose extremely.

Instead of giving money to found colleges to promote learning, why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as good as the Prohibition one did, why, in five years we would have the smartest race of people on earth.

- Will Rogers

Also here is some illegally made zip guns (I.e do it yourself guns) that were confistacted.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a9d_1359313845

The gun owning public has to get away from their paranoid beliefs and see that they need to step up and help society regulate legal gun ownership. Such things as a national database that must have every gun in it and tracks were each are and who has it.

Most important is to develop a better care system for mental health. Knowing when someone who has declining mental health can't be around guns and their condition should be attended to. We need to help people with mental health issues and stop stigmatizing it.

The gun owning public has to get away from their paranoid beliefs and see that they need to step up and help society regulate legal gun ownership. Such things as a national database that must have every gun in it and tracks were each are and who has it.

What paranoid beliefs are you talking about? Help society regulate gun ownership? Pretty hard when the criminals are armed and you aren't.

Also, I would like to point something out....A lot of people have brought up the fact that if guns were strictly regulated then no one (criminals included) could get them. Now, first off, guns can be smuggled in/stolen so thats not entirely accurate.......

But this argument is going to lose a lot of its merit in the near future. Right now, its predicated on the fact that the way criminals get guns in by taking/stealing guns from legal owners, so if those legal owners don't have any guns then the criminals will have nothing to steal. Well, its been projected that 3D printers will be common place in homes in the near future, which means that criminals can easily just print guns themselves. 

Also, I would like to point something out....A lot of people have brought up the fact that if guns were strictly regulated then no one (criminals included) could get them. Now, first off, guns can be smuggled in/stolen so thats not entirely accurate....... But this argument is going to lose a lot of its merit in the near future. Right now, its predicated on the fact that the way criminals get guns in by taking/stealing guns from legal owners, so if those legal owners don't have any guns then the criminals will have nothing to steal. Well, its been projected that 3D printers will be common place in homes in the near future, which means that criminals can easily just print guns themselves.

The plastic doesn't survive for very long if it is used as a gun, they have a few shots at best.

The plastic doesn't survive for very long if it is used as a gun, they have a few shots at best.

1) plastics are becoming more durable every day. 

2) 3D printers can/will print in other mediums. 

3D printing isn't just limited to plastics. They are finding a wide range of materials to work with: in fact I think somewhere they have already made a mostly metal gun from 3D printing

Erm. No point in only giving "fully trained" polices guns. "Fully trained" army officers have turned their guns on comrades before, same thing has happened with police.

yea...no thanks, I'd prefer to die to a bullet than having a limb cut off.

It's all about if you are man enough to withstand it.

Make multi-poll please. 

I think background checks should be done first (e.g, don't sell to those who live in slums, e.t.c, or those who are mentally unfit), and even then, you should only be allowed to have handguns. 

Make multi-poll please. 

I think background checks should be done first (e.g, don't sell to those who live in slums, e.t.c, or those who are mentally unfit), and even then, you should only be allowed to have handguns. 

The people in slums who attain a permit before buying a gun are probably the people who need a gun the most.

you should only be allowed to have handguns. 

What about people that hunt or sport shoot (skeet, targets, etc)?

In fact, most gun related crimes happen with pistols that are conceable.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-11

If you look at this, more deaths were caused in 2011, by hammers, knives and even fists than rifles or shotguns.

It's just the media that hypes up the "black and scary aussualt rifles with their 30 round clips!"

Archived