Smartphone Recommendations

The Penguins

I'm upgrading my basic phone to a smart phone, now having a need for one. So far, I have an eye on the Samsung Galaxies but what are your guy's recommendations?  

i tried Android and Windows phones, but i strongly prefer my iPhone.

It really depends on preference, i'd say go for either iPhone or Galaxy

i have an oldish galaxy s4 mini and it's battery life sucks donkey dick, would not recommend.

I have that too, and yep the battery life sucks, Power Save mode usually increases a tiny bit.

HTC one m9

I've been using htc since I started using a smartphone, and I strongly prefer them over any other phones I've seen. 

i have an oldish galaxy s4 mini and it's battery life sucks donkey dick, would not recommend.

If it's old enough the battery is probably dying. 

Alternatively try backing up your phone and then factory resetting it, that should fix some problems.

Depends on what you're planning to use it for and your budget

I use a Galaxy S5 and it's working great even after 1,5 years, didn't feel the need to factory reset.

If you have a high budget, I'd recommend an iPhone 6, since they are simple

if you are looking to modify it without risking your warranty plus want to do some mobile gaming: Nexus phones, HTC One M9

If low budget go for a used iPhone 4, or Galaxy S2, Nexus phone.

edit: I can also recommend the Galaxies (5,6) but since TouchWiz takes a lot from performance, I recommended nexus/HTC, etc. But if you aren't really into mobile gaming, then the new Galaxies are good too.

• Administrators

If it's old enough the battery is probably dying. 

Alternatively try backing up your phone and then factory resetting it, that should fix some problems.

Nope, had shit battery life from the day I got it.

And tried. Tried basically everything. It's just a crap phone.

I'd recommend a galaxy. I upgraded 3 days ago from an s3 to an s6, the s3 i had for 4 years lol such an improvement. 

Galaxy>Iphones

Currently using LG G3.

The hardware isn't bad, though it isn't as bright (screen brightness) as some of the other smartphones even at 100% (which lowers to 80% automatically to 'conserve battery life' and 'prevent overheating') and the colours are less saturated as compared to Samsung phones. I find Samsung screen colours too 'vibrant' such that they don't match real life. But eh, this is personal preference. If you like saturated colours then go for it. The battery life is fine though it really depends on how you use it. Mine can last for about 12 hours on 50% brightness constantly connected to a relatively weak wifi before it drops to around 20% battery life (only web surfing though, no intensive 3D games or 5 hours of YouTube videos).

I find Samsung cluttered with redundant apps that I'll never use. LG has some useless apps too but they're fewer.

I don't like iPhone's one-button-policy. Even though their fingerprint scanner is nice in some ways. But it's unjustifiably expensive. 

If you ever consider LG G4, don't bother with the leather skin one. It spoils rather easily. Unless you really really like leathers and you will take good care of it. (But my country's hot and humid, so can't do much to protect it)

you probably shouldn't ask for phone help on a thread, people are going to be kinda biased

best to just look up the pros and cons for each phone and go from there

I use a Galaxy S5 and it's working great even after 1,5 years, didn't feel the need to factory reset.

if you are looking to modify it without risking your warranty plus want to do some mobile gaming: Nexus phones, HTC One M9

edit: I can also recommend the Galaxies (5,6) but since TouchWiz takes a lot from performance, I recommended nexus/HTC, etc. But if you aren't really into mobile gaming, then the new Galaxies are good too.

i had a galaxy s3 up until 2 weeks ago, I had it since it came out. I bought the Asus Zenfone 2. It's a Decent phone, and really cheap imo. I'd go for the 64gb model if you have the 300$ as well, the 16gb comes out to 215$ after tax.

LG or Acer are pretty great and not too expensive.

Acer makes phones too?

I just got the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and I'm in love with it. I'd definitely suggest that if its in your price range.

Look I get you're unsure with your options but at the end of the day this thread is just gonna be people saying "I have this phone and it's like this" Best bet, Look for a phone that suits YOU. But IMO, Windows Phone=Works well with windows 10 i guess. Has the best Personal Assistant. iPhone=Almost universal compatibility with devices, Largest collection of apps. Android=Cheap, google stuff, Most user functionality/input. (E.G you can change almost everything)

Otherwise try going to like a few phone stores or something and ask around. Also, General advice, if you dont mind paying a bit extra (or not paying off via plan) try opting for an Unlocked phone.

I have a OnePlus One that I love, it's nice a cheap, or I think they're selling the Twos now if you want something newer

Nope, had shit battery life from the day I got it.

And tried. Tried basically everything. It's just a crap phone.

I always carry a backup battery just in case 'cause I run my phone on full juice.

Yeah, it really depends on your budget and your preferences. There is no perfect smartphone. 

For example, the Samsung Galaxy S6 is a solid phone. AMAZING camera, great build quality, great specs, has fast performance... But it's battery is the WORST and Samsung's Toughwiz is hated by many. 

i had a galaxy s3 up until 2 weeks ago, I had it since it came out. I bought the Asus Zenfone 2. It's a Decent phone, and really cheap imo. I'd go for the 64gb model if you have the 300$ as well, the 16gb comes out to 215$ after tax.

Acer makes phones too?

The Galaxy S3 is a really nice phone, but I've never had it in my hands.. I used to have an S2 then/now an S5. About the zenfone, I don't know much of it.

You should also watch for One Plus Ones, since they're really cheap and also really nice for such price. They also look good tbh, but that's just my personal opinion

Asus used to make some good phones, like the PadFone, which I almsot bought,(well, the newest one at that moment) when deciding between S5 and that one.

Archived