Ethernet connection speed problem

Wokath

I get 100Mbps on my laptop but when I put the same cord onto desktop I get only 10Mbps.

Ive already tried changing the value for WOL and Shutdown Link Speed from 10Mbps First to 100Mbps First with no success.  Also changed around Speed & Duplex around a biy with no success.  Also tryed uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.

Does the desktop support gigabit ethernet? (It more than likely does, but dumb sanity check).

What LAN port are you using on your desktop -- is it on the motherboard or a PCIE card, and do you know what the ethernet controller is? 

Is the desktop by any chance showing 10MB/s and the laptop 100mbps?

Is that 100mbps from an internal transfer or from speedtest or something like that? 

1 hour ago, AwesomeMcCoolName said:

Does the desktop support gigabit ethernet? (It more than likely does, but dumb sanity check).

What LAN port are you using on your desktop -- is it on the motherboard or a PCIE card, and do you know what the ethernet controller is? 

Is the desktop by any chance showing 10MB/s and the laptop 100mbps?

Is that 100mbps from an internal transfer or from speedtest or something like that? 

Yes

Motherboard.  I do not know what the Ethernet controller is.

It's showing 10Mbp not 10MB

that 100mbps is from speedtest.

10 minutes ago, Wokath said:

Yes

Motherboard.  I do not know what the Ethernet controller is.

It's showing 10Mbp not 10MB

that 100mbps is from speedtest.

What motherboard is it? 

2 minutes ago, Wokath said:

Done that already.

I assume you've tried putting the cable back to your laptop and it's running at 100mbps? 

I would try clearing the bios (remove and reinstall the battery on the motherboard). If the drive on your laptop is easily removable you could also try booting off that to see if it's an issue with your windows install. 

Archived