TF2 feels like it's dying.

ᴰᴶSn@@ke

If you do a refresh on all servers I bet you nearly half are empty. Well it's the 3rd most played on steam but still compared CS:GO and dota 2 theres like nobody on. Right now theres 46k people on tf2, 270k on CS:GO and nearly 600k on dota 2.

it is, the games been out for 8 years and the only reason the game became f2p was because valve knew it would make the game last longer

and besides, theyre running out of ideas anyway

it is, the games been out for 8 years and the only reason the game became f2p was because valve knew it would make the game last longer

and besides, theyre running out of ideas anyway

I don't think it'll stop receiving updates till it gets like 10,000 players or less though.

TF2 was always in 3rd and was always thousands below CS:GO and Dota 2. In fact, I don't remember a time where TF2 was in 100K for a long amount time yet CS:GO and Dota sit in 100K+ regularly.

I should also point out that you're looking at the numbers during the most inactive time of the day. Come back during peak times (~8am-12pm PST) to make a better analysis.

I know what you mean. Eventually TF2 will just be ded. However, a lot of people still play the game, so for now it's gonna keep living

If you do a refresh on all servers I bet you nearly half are empty. Well it's the 3rd most played on steam but still compared CS:GO and dota 2 theres like nobody on. Right now theres 46k people on tf2, 270k on CS:GO and nearly 600k on dota 2.

It's 4 in the fucking morning, you bloke. Of course I'm not vidja gaming.

We played Super Monday Night Combat together and you still think TF2 is dying? 

Don't you remember how hard it was just to find another guy to play with? Jesus.

It felt like browsing the great below during a flame war somewhere else.

so is every game below 3rd dying too? 

Pls, we discussed this already

>i55 , big TF2 tournament

Oh yes, a prize pool of a few thousand dollars if you win, practically community run and you get a derp medal vs cs:go/dota where the prize pulls are like a few million and is officially backed up by valve which holds events and updates for each competition...

• Administrators

You posted this at 4 am in the morning of course the game will have less players, in fact most game's player count drops by a lot every night after midnight. Many players are from U.S, thus the number goes down to 50 - 45ish (thousand) after midnight.

Tf2 has been on third place for a long long time. At the moment, its back to its regular 65K plus players, it usually stays around 65K - 77K. I have not seen the number go down.

People have been saying this game has been dying or dead for last 5 years. lol

Oh yes, a prize pool of a few thousand dollars if you win, practically community run and you get a derp medal vs cs:go/dota where the prize pulls are like a few million and is officially backed up by valve which holds events and updates for each competition...

500$ meh, some french tournament has a prize pool of 1000$ tho.

It's easier to win this money tho, I doubt you could get a CSGO medal or the money in your life, unless you are a pro player.

500$ meh, some french tournament has a prize pool of 1000$ tho.

It's easier to win this money tho, I doubt you could get a CSGO medal or the money in your life, unless you are a pro player.

It's the premise that valve doesnt care or elects to ignore the tf2 community, bugs, glitches which is also one of the reasons why TF2 isnt as big as it could be. Balancing weapons, bugs, glitches which took them years to fix while the community sent them the fix years ago or the cry for proper match making for the longest time instead they release glitchy/broken/niche/half finished "game modes" which a modder could have done in a few days.

Tf2 has one of the best communities where we actively make content for the game and instead of being rewarded or recognised we are ignored which turns off alot of players. Any major glitch/bug in cs:go would be fixed within a few hours/days where as for tf2 it took them what, 2 years to fix the gunslinger and the invisible players? The tf2 community sent them the patch to fix them ages ago.

It's the premise that valve doesnt care or elects to ignore the tf2 community, bugs, glitches which is also one of the reasons why TF2 isnt as big as it could be. Balancing weapons, bugs, glitches which took them years to fix while the community sent them the fix years ago or the cry for proper match making for the longest time instead they release glitchy/broken/niche/half finished "game modes" which a modder could have done in a few days.

Tf2 has one of the best communities where we actively make content for the game and instead of being rewarded or recognised we are ignored which turns off alot of players. Any major glitch/bug in cs:go would be fixed within a few hours/days where as for tf2 it took them what, 2 years to fix the gunslinger and the invisible players? The tf2 community sent them the patch to fix them ages ago.

TF2 dev once responded to this, that they need more people to TF2 dev team to make everything possible. There's like 3 people working with TF2, when there's over 100 working for CSGO.

I understand this, because the game is losing popularity and it's already soo old. Personally, I'd retire Team Fortress 2, or upgrade it to Source Engine 2 ( which wont happen ). 

I really doubt TF2 will live on to see 2017~ unless they start doing something.

Even tho they revived Quake live, which has gained more popularity past years, considering it's a 15~ year old game heh.

tl;dr not much Valve team devs want to work with TF2, because they'd rather pick Dota 2 or CSGO.

TF2 dev once responded to this, that they need more people to TF2 dev team to make everything possible. There's like 3 people working with TF2, when there's over 100 working for CSGO.

The thing is the the community has been providing patches, fixes since the very beginning. Eg the invisible players glitch the competitive community sent them a fix years ago, they literally had to press Crtl+C and Crtl+V.

The main issue is that they dont listen to the community at all and think that they know what's best for a game they never play. Many of the issues for example it took them ages to "collect data" on balancing...etc where as it would have taken any player who plays the game regularly 5 mins.

They tried to balance the sticky bomb launcher which was needed and they decided to nerf it's damage which pissed off alot of people where as the competitive has been suggesting the ammo to limit the 8 stickys to a lower value so you dont have people sticky spamming for the longest time.

All in all, TF2 isn't dying. I'm actually getting into pubs, 6s, and Highlander, it's actually great to use tactics and play the game.

What I will say is that trading is dying. All these high tier traders that have cashed out, been marked, or said fuck you to the community and left have been numerous within the last two years. It's much harder to make profit in unusuals lately due to all these kiddos overpricing their shit, setting insane B/Os, blindly pricing their shit by backpack.tf prices.  All these new players in trading don't know how the trading game is done, which is in turn what's killing the trading aspect of the game. For fucks sake, I was offering this kid like a ref under what he wanted for a shitty painted cosmetic the other day, he says no and unadds me. An hour later he readded and asked if he could take my offer. I still did the trade because I still got what I wanted at my price, but seriously, all these kids getting into trading is more cancerous than all the third gens in the world.

All in all, TF2 isn't dying. I'm actually getting into pubs, 6s, and Highlander, it's actually great to use tactics and play the game.

What I will say is that trading is dying. All these high tier traders that have cashed out, been marked, or said fuck you to the community and left have been numerous within the last two years. It's much harder to make profit in unusuals lately due to all these kiddos overpricing their shit, setting insane B/Os, blindly pricing their shit by backpack.tf prices.  All these new players in trading don't know how the trading game is done, which is in turn what's killing the trading aspect of the game. For fucks sake, I was offering this kid like a ref under what he wanted for a shitty painted cosmetic the other day, he says no and unadds me. An hour later he readded and asked if he could take my offer. I still did the trade because I still got what I wanted at my price, but seriously, all these kids getting into trading is more cancerous than all the third gens in the world.

^ pretty much this

The game has such unique (and superb) mechanics, it's still very relevant today.   This game still offers so much entertainment value, whether you just want to pub stomp, join a community and play on their servers or play comp.  There's MvM of course too and the various other game modes.  

But ditto on trading.  I'm not going to paint the same bleak picture you did, but it's definitely true that a lot of older traders have either been kicked out of the community, cashed out, or switched to CSGO.   What you're left with more and more are traders that would be utterly lost without bp.tf and use it as absolute bible (e.g. beams is 40 keys more than burning on the same hat?  Must be true because backpack says so.  Better slap an extra 10 keys on my BO actually cause i gotta make that profit).   And then some poor schmuck will actually come around and pay that, because he doesn't get basic tiers either.   

Archived