How to Broker?

Langweenee

So I was think of some ways to make keys, and brokering came to mind. Here comes a wall of questions.

-Is it dangerous? I don't want to get marked on SR for brokering a hat.

-Is it worthwhile? I have plenty of time to sell it

-What would be a good percentage to take?

-Should anyone have to pay a small upfront cost? Me or the person I'm brokering for?

-Finally, where to advertise? I read this rule on outpost:

No trades that aren't trades. This rule includes any form of donations, services, asking for crates to unbox, troll trades, building up one weapon to an unusual, raffles, etc.

And it says no services. 

So any help would be appreciated.

So I was think of some ways to make keys, and brokering came to mind. Here comes a wall of questions.

-Is it dangerous? I don't want to get marked on SR for brokering a hat.

-Is it worthwhile? I have plenty of time to sell it

-What would be a percentage to take?

-Should anyone have to pay a small upfront cost? Me or the person I'm brokering for?

-Finally, where to advertise? I read this rule on outpost:

No trades that aren't trades. This rule includes any form of donations, services, asking for crates to unbox, troll trades, building up one weapon to an unusual, raffles, etc.

And it says no services. 

So any help would be appreciated.

You can't get marked for just brokering a hat...Though, you can get banned for brokering a Scammer's/Banned User's hat.

Also, don't advertise on Outpost, I highly doubt any progress will get done from that and yes, your trade will get closed by OP mods for providing a service. I'd suggest you advertise on Servers, though be sure to have rep + trust (Not profile rep, +rep fast trader). 

Should I try to sell a couple of keys for paypal or something?

I just took at look at your bp and rep. You'll find it pretty hard to find someone willing to let your broker (maybe for low tiers... but beyond that...)

A few things you need to have for an effective broker:

- large amount of rep

- a large bp so people can trust you not to run off (bp worth min 1k+ imo) <------main problem

- at the very least have premium on outpost

Dont think that just selling a few keys and having some rep people will trust you which is what you seem to think... You're asking people to trust you a fair amount...

I just took at look at your bp and rep. You'll find it pretty hard to find someone willing to let your broker (maybe for low tiers... but beyond that...)

A few things you need to have for an effective broker:

- large amount of rep

- a large bp so people can trust you not to run off (bp worth min 1k+ imo) <------main problem

- at the very least have premium on outpost

Dont think that just selling a few keys and having some rep people will trust you which is what you seem to think... You're asking people to trust you a fair amount...

Thanks for the opinion. I guess I won't try to broker yet.

What should i do, buy a 4 keyed Halloween game (Have to trade up), or just get Christmas stuff.

Just need an answer :x

You should have started your own topic for that question...

In the past, christmas stuff  has tended to go down around halloween and christmas, partially because people are focussed on buying keys to unbox during halloween and games from the sale during christmas, and partially because people were nervous about the possibility of certain items being re-released.  Sometimes there are exceptions, but for the most part, you may want to stay away from investing in christmas items.  The time to do that is over for now. 

It's a bad idea to buy games right now too.  There's most likely going to be a halloween themed game sale steam, and during christmas, there will be a massive sale as well.

You should have started your own topic for that question...

In the past, christmas stuff  has tended to go down around halloween and christmas, partially because people are focussed on buying keys to unbox during halloween and games from the sale during christmas, and partially because people were nervous about the possibility of certain items being re-released.  Sometimes there are exceptions, but for the most part, you may want to stay away from investing in christmas items.  The time to do that is over for now. 

It's a bad idea to buy games right now too.  There's most likely going to be a halloween themed game sale steam, and during christmas, there will be a massive sale as well.

See, i didn't need to start my own topic, you answered me, thanks.

See, i didn't need to start my own topic, you answered me, thanks.

The point is that it's proper forum etiquette to avoid hijacking someone else's thread for your own unrelated purpose.

You're welcome.

Brokering requires trust. Make sure you know the person well.

-you an only get in trouble if you run away OR, VERY IMPORTANT, you broker an unusual that is scammed. This is called fencing and is a big problem currently, so be aware.

-always background check your client.

-never make an agreement you cant do. U will not get 100 buds for a steaming dread knot. It. Wont. Happen. Your clients will trust you to get what they want. Dont set an unrealistic goal.

as for profitting:

-i charge 15% commission personally. It can vary.

-state clearly whether or not sweets are yours. Most of my brokering, i keep sweets if it is an upgrade. I never take sweets if i am making an even trade IE both hats worth 4 buds since the profit for my client is the sweets.

-NEVER EVER MIX YOUR MONEY. This creates those "hidden fees" that can lead to bigger problems. If they cant afford it with that hat, tough luck.

maybe try brokering for a few good friends first and see how that goes

I wish my friends actually did trade, I have one who thought it was a good deal to buy a hat at full price and sell it for more.

Just to add onto everything thats already been said....brokering can be a real mess depending on you're dealing with. 

Someone whos going to constantly bug and/or critique you is going to cause issues -- If you broker you need to make it clear that you're 100% completely autonomous from them and have complete control until either you sell the item for what they wanted, or until you've reached the return date (if there is one)..... Basically....you don't want to be brokering unless you know and trust the person you're brokering for (and yes, I do mean trust the person you're brokering for). 

you made a 130 usd backpack in 2 months worth of trading and now you wanna broker. kay.

so? 2 months is longer then you think

Someone could easily make that much in 2months of trading

so? 2 months is longer then you think

Someone could easily make that much in 2months of trading

what? dude i made 500 or so, what im saying is that this guy isnt even a great trader, and why would anyone want to have his unusuals brokered by someone with 0 experience/skill.

what? dude i made 500 or so, what im saying is that this guy isnt even a great trader, and why would anyone want to have his unusuals brokered by someone with 0 experience/skill.

I'm right here

I trade to

- Make pocket change

- Get cool hats in TF2

- Be in a great community

plz don't be mean

Brokering is a responsibility, only way to get sr marked or op banned is brokering for a marked user or someone who is currently banned on outpost.

Its definetly worthwhile if you are a trusted person of the community.

I gave Roze the best definiton I could for a proper broker...

Brokers are experienced traders who tend to be able to adapt to the ever changing economy and profit off of it. They offer their services to others for a fee. Typically when finding a broker, you want to make sure they are trustworthy, and have no reason to run / have reputation. Also make sure that the terms of service (how much you want [pure/unu] / and how much they get) are clear so there are no confusions. Best to be someone you trust very well. Brokering is quite fun most of the time :)

You first need to establish yourself, and can be worthwhile in payment if you are super trusted. But yoy will have to start small... no you typically wont get a payment upfront but rather after its sold for what the seller wants. I charge about 10-20% but Ive been doing it forever. And as all there are exceptions. Typically there isnt a collateral which Im trying to understand your second last question ah ha. Its you are providing a service, and no you dont advertise on outpost. Ive seen people advertise in servers but most of ot starts with your friend circle.

Last of all, for someone to typically trust you, must have a decent sized backpack, quite a few hours, and lots of experience. If you feel that you can fulfill that, then I say go for it.

Sorry for the obscene amount of writing, just wanted to give good feedback.

Brokering is quite fun most of the time :)

I'm just gonna stop you right there..... It sucks when you're doing it for someone you know/someone who completely trusts your judgement; and its far far worse when its someone else. 

I'm just gonna stop you right there..... It sucks when you're doing it for someone you know/someone who completely trusts your judgement; and its far far worse when its someone else. 

Yeah. Depends who you broker for... I Most of the time only broker for Some guys I know (I don't broker that much anymore :/)

Archived