Change the playground-looking profile badges

Bakgrund

No offense to the deisnger, but wtf.. If you weren't a bp.tf nerd, would you know what these icons mean? I can answer that for you. No.

Can you hover your mouse over it to find out what they mean? Yes. Is that reliable? No.

Why fix something that ain't broken? The old design was much more reliable. I'm not necessarily telling you to revert the design back but at least make something that makes it easier for us to find out what they mean.

Example:

Lnpk6f6.png

http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198049040743

HOW AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT VOTED TO KEEP THEM?

They are a chic, contemporary add on to the site and are a big improvement from the old words in different colored boxes that gave the stie and unfinished look. 

HOW AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT VOTED TO KEEP THEM?

They are a chic, contemporary add on to the site and are a big improvement from the old words in different colored boxes that gave the stie and unfinished look. 

Except with these, they're atrocious and not 1 single person knows what they mean. It's like giving a 1st grader a trigonometry book and telling them to study it, he's not going to understand anything.

With the old icons, they were perfectly fine, they explained everything on the badges itself and easy to identify which badges are supposed to do. Not to mention it had nos characteristics unlike these completely bland utter crap of badges we have now.

Maybe make it a mix between the old and the new, lik the new icons that are very small and on the left side of the old words thing. All in 1 box

WTF HAPPEND WITH THE POLL?

DID SOMEONE REMOVE IT OR WHAT?

Fight the system and make another!

If it was a mod they should know they can't censor a community opinion

• Administrators

WTF HAPPEND WITH THE POLL?

DID SOMEONE REMOVE IT OR WHAT?

I thought you removed it at first...Dunno why a mod would remove a community pool like this.

I don't see any valid reason to remove the pool at all.

I thought you removed it at first...Dunno why a mod would remove a community pool like this.

I'm more than 200% sure that I did not remove it.

To be honest I find this pretty disturbing, this is everything else than acceptable, it feels like a fucking dictatorship when they forbid other opinions than their own.

• Administrators

I'm more than 200% sure that I did not remove it.

To be honest I find this pretty disturbing, this is everything else than acceptable, it feels like a fucking dictatorship when they forbid other opinions than their own.

It was clear that the regulars here and the community wanted the look of the profile badges change rather than keep the current one.

Only 1 voted to keep the current one whereas 99% wanted the looks of the profile badges to change :P

can we keep the suggestion minority away from controlling the design of the site, so it does not ruin the design for those who take this seriously.

• Administrators

I can't take this seriously. The thing is these badges are, for the most part, vanity, like the badges on Steam Community profiles. Nothing but vanity, except they were interfering with the layout -  users with a lot of badges were having variable height profiles caused by having more than one line of badges.

Again - they're cosmetic. The only change I'll be making if I have to is adding some new colour styles for administrative badges to let them stand out from the regular ones, although the badge order helps with that already (groups/custom badges, then premium badge, then the bronze-platinum tiered badges, then miscellaneous badges for supporter/twitter follower/etc). 

If you weren't a bp.tf nerd, would you know what these icons mean? I can answer that for you. No.

I mean, you could say the exact same thing about the previous badges. Without hovering over it the accuracy badge meant nothing, because the background colour and the number of stars that would appear was based on two different factors entirely, whereas the new badge for accuracy uses a formula that takes both factors into account to produce a badge with a singular tier system. The same problem existed for the other badges - no, you could not determine what most of the badges meant by the title itself. The "Unusual Expert" badge - for example - you would not know that it was for making suggestions for Unusual items unless you hovered over it; they were still way too vague.

• Administrators

I mean, you could say the exact same thing about the previous badges. Without hovering over it the accuracy badge meant nothing, because the background colour and the number of stars that would appear was based on two different factors entirely, whereas the new badge for accuracy uses a formula that takes both factors into account to produce a badge with a singular tier system. The same problem existed for the other badges - no, you could not determine what most of the badges meant by the title itself. The "Unusual Expert" badge - for example - you would not know that it was for making suggestions for Unusual items unless you hovered over it; they were still way too vague.

I was thinking the same thing, you could actually say the same thing about the previous badges as well but I guess people don't like the look of the current one (icons of the current badges). I think everyone is after more at the way badges looks now rather than what each badges means because when we had the old ones, anyone who hasn't used bp.tf properly couldn't say what each badges meant until hovered on a specific one old one or not.

I can't say for sure but that what this fuss seems to be all about. That what it seems like to me at least. A different look(icon of badges) I guess. 

Nevertheless, I never had problem with any of this :P

My problem is I would say that "you do not need to bother, it would waste time on the site for changes that would be more important"

But they, wasted their time on something that was not important. So, yeah. I think you have plenty of time to waste.

I can't take this seriously. The thing is these badges are, for the most part, vanity, like the badges on Steam Community profiles. Nothing but vanity, except they were interfering with the layout -  users with a lot of badges were having variable height profiles caused by having more than one line of badges.

That was something I aimed to get, I wanted two lines of tags on my profile so I could go, boom! I've really dedicated myself to this site!

But now I could only go, hey look at the pretty pictures on my profile, aren't they nice!

No, they are not, to be blunt. now go get a job!

That was something I aimed to get, I wanted two lines of tags on my profile so I could go, boom! I've really dedicated myself to this site!

But now I could only go, hey look at the pretty pictures on my profile, aren't they nice!

agreed, at least make the changes more noticeable

bakrgunds badges: http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198049040743 ---> my badges:  http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198049834485 ---> NecroTed's badges:  http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198044387084 the difference is minute. I would go out of my way to get the 100 accepted votes in a month in order to show my dedication to the site on my profile (the obvious 4 star, orange color scheme transitioning to the green 5 star one), but now I could vote 5 times and there would be almost no difference

I agree. I really wanted to go swimming, and I know I can't be the only one.

Abuse of power.. Calling it now.

The point of the tags was that people enjoyed "collecting them up" to show off in a sense and a recognition of their service to the site. The current "badges" dont show anything, taking away something which many users worked hard for doesnt seem practical.

Clearly the community isnt very happy about this change and i would say im not very fond of it either, the tags/badges went from something nice you could have to something which might as well not even be there.

Nothing but vanity, except they were interfering with the layout -  users with a lot of badges were having variable height profiles caused by having more than one line of badges.

I guess its harder to change the layout as opposed to changing the badge?

Archived