Photo

Gaming PC build

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#41 AwesomeMcCoolName

AwesomeMcCoolName

AwesomeSauce

• Donators
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:53 AM

Hey thanks for the revision. I do already have a Rocketfish 500w and it's served me well over the years, but from all that I've seen it doesn't handle large loads (lol) well. As for the i5-7500 I didn't know that was so cheap

Also, it's very new, would there be some compatibility issues with certain motherboards? I've read that some 7th Gen chips won't flash on some boards without first flashing with a 6th (pardon my ineptitude)

That PSU is probably crap, so....

There is a chance it will ship with an incompatible bios, however, you could call whoever you buy it from and see if you can find out what revision board it is and/or what bios is installed on it (and/or how old the stock is) -- depending on who you buy from, you can often just return it for a full refund if you get unlucky. At this point, Kaby Lake compatible bioses have been out since around November/December. But if you don't want to risk in, then you can just switch it to a 6500 at basically no loss. 

Motherboard compatibility will depends on what BIOS version the board happens to ship with. If you're unlucky you get an old revision and have to put in a 6th gen to work.

But my god rocketfish? That's one of those obscure names I never thought I'd hear someone own. Not to knock your experience but that junk's on the fire hazard list.

Rocketfish is Bestbuy's in-house brand. 

ZCfOybT.jpg

#42 Nade

Nade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:08 AM

Motherboard compatibility will depends on what BIOS version the board happens to ship with. If you're unlucky you get an old revision and have to put in a 6th gen to work.

But my god rocketfish? That's one of those obscure names I never thought I'd hear someone own. Not to knock your experience but that junk's on the fire hazard list.

Lol picked it up at best buy almost ten years ago. It's served me well over the years and the fan inside of it is still going strong, but like I said I'm not really pushing my system at the moment ;p

But yeah from what I can gather as long as I can find a cheap old Skylake CPU I can still update if need be

#43 Twins_Mercury

Twins_Mercury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:17 AM

Hey newegg is having this offer where if you buy this one Z270 motherboard you get a pretty good case for free. https://www.newegg.c...N82E16813157741

#44 Nade

Nade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hey newegg is having this offer where if you buy this one Z270 motherboard you get a pretty good case for free. https://www.newegg.c...N82E16813157741

I don't see any promos for a case... Is that over now?

#45 AwesomeMcCoolName

AwesomeMcCoolName

AwesomeSauce

• Donators
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

I don't see any promos for a case... Is that over now?

It's over. It included a Phanteks P400c. 

ZCfOybT.jpg

#46 Nade

Nade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

It's over. It included a Phanteks P400c.

Aw man I woulda loved that