Looking for good pair of headphones for less than 201 dollars

NotoriousRebel7474

Title says it all, my beats broke and yes I know beats are not the best but I got them years ago so I didn't really mind because they got the job done. 

I have an lg phone btw and am just looking for a pair that is good for podcasts and music not for games or my pc.

I didn't know where to post this btw so rip. 

Amazon would work best. 

I'm assuming you're going to use them when you're out and about and so you want closed back headphones.

ATH M40x, DT770, Momentums

Although, now might also be a good time to consider going bluetooth...or not. 

• Like 3

i have a question, why exactly 201, and not just 200$

it gives the impression that its a lot more money. 

/joke

• Like 2

Highly recommend Audio Technicas. It's a Japanese brand which is renowned for its great sound quality/durability.

• Like 2

I have a pair of ATH m40X's, they're freaking awesome. The sound quality on them was so fantastic that when I relistened to my entire collection of over 200 songs on them, I found out that most of them had audio artifacts like scratches and pops that other headphones (including a pair of beats) weren't able to produce, so in order to meet the new sound quality standard I had to redownload basically all of my songs.

Still worth it. Best headphones I've ever owned, I would recommend them even in spite of my lack of experience with other headphones.

+1 on audio technica ive worked a lot with their stuff  back when i was a sound engineer and the equipment does its job well. Sennheiser are also a good brand to consider, and the momentum over ear are the best cans ive ever listened to.

• 2 weeks later...

The Audio Technica ATH M50x is probably your best bet.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472488872&sr=8-1&keywords=headphones&refinements=p_89%3AAudio-Technica

If you have more money, you should consider investing in Bose's QuietComfort 35 noise cancelling headphones. It currently has the best active noise cancelling and it is Bluetooth, both of which you "cannot go back" once you get used to them. Noise cancelling should be an important factor as it protects your hearing. Bluetooth is based on personal preferences. The QC35 is also probably the most comfortable pair of headphones out there; you would have no problem wearing them for hours. The one drawback is the sound quality. It is subpar when compaerd to the M50x. However, due to noise cancelling, the overall listening experience is about equal in a loud environment. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B01E3SNO1G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472489161&sr=1-1&keywords=QC+35

Oh also, the QC35 is newly released and the M50x is 2+ years old, if you want to take product iteration into consideration. 

The Audio Technica ATH M50x is probably your best bet.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472488872&sr=8-1&keywords=headphones&refinements=p_89%3AAudio-Technica

If you have more money, you should consider investing in Bose's QuietComfort 35 noise cancelling headphones. It currently has the best active noise cancelling and it is Bluetooth, both of which you "cannot go back" once you get used to them. Noise cancelling should be an important factor as it protects your hearing. Bluetooth is based on personal preferences. The QC35 is also probably the most comfortable pair of headphones out there; you would have no problem wearing them for hours. The one drawback is the sound quality. It is subpar when compaerd to the M50x. However, due to noise cancelling, the overall listening experience is about equal in a loud environment. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B01E3SNO1G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472489161&sr=1-1&keywords=QC+35

Oh also, the QC35 is newly released and the M50x is 2+ years old, if you want to take product iteration into consideration. 

Audio hasn't advanced much in the last fifty years, so age of a product is basically irrelevant. Some of the best headphones ever made were released over a decade ago. 

Also, M40x > M50x if you consider their relative performance. The M50x's are mediocre considering their sound and price. M40x's are much better on the other hand as they sound virtually the same but are much cheaper. 

Audio hasn't advanced much in the last fifty years, so age of a product is basically irrelevant. Some of the best headphones ever made were released over a decade ago. 

I'd have to disagree here. The best relevant headphones are all released within 5 years. Products also become cheaper with each iteration. 

I'd have to disagree here. The best relevant headphones are all released within 5 years. Products also become cheaper with each iteration. 

The M50x's you recommended earlier are just a slightly revised version of the ATH M50s (the detachable cable is basically the only difference) -- which were released back in 2007 for $200. Then in 2014 the M50x's were launched at $240. So....yeah.

Some of the best regarded headphones: 

Sennheiser HD800 -- launched in 2009

HD650s -- launched in 2006

HD600s -- launched in 1997

Audeze LCD-2 -- launched around 2010 (LCD-3 is a slight improvement -- from 2014~)

Koss ESP-950 -- launched 2008-2009 

I could continue, but I've made my point.