Computer keeps restarting?

LizardoX

Hey, sorry to keep asking for help on here but my computer keeps restarting under every hour usually 6 minutes. I suspect a hardware issue but I'm unsure. Right before it restarts it closes all windows and usually distorts into horizontal lines with no blue screen. Upon rebooting, it says it didn't shut down correctly. I have tried to do a system restore but it is unsuccessful with no exact reason. Here are the specs of the computer ( I know it's bad) http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-m3470g-uw10p-a-series-a6-3620-2-2-ghz-4-gb-500-gb/specs/

It could be overheating or even a virus.

How dusty is your CPU cooler?

Yes surprisingly, this is a common, but not often diagnosed issue. You'd be amazed how far a can of air will go towards keeping your computer cooler, and not glitching out. Try that first. 

Maybe you accidently set your PC to turn off after a set time? 

He's getting an unexpected shutdown warning -- that wouldn't happen if he had changed a setting to force a shutdown. 

Possible causes: 

• Some hardware issue -- something is faulty/broken/dying (run Aida64/Prime 95 to stress the CPU/RAM, run Heaven to stress the GPU, then run Memtest 86+ to check for any memory errors. Try another power supply if you have another one lying around. Run a diagnostic test (WD diagnostic tool works) on your boot drive. And if all of the above doesn't help, then remove any superfluous items (GPU if you have integrated graphics), all drives except your boot drive, any peripherals/accessories (wifi card, sound card, optical drives, anything plugged into the back of the computer that's not a mouse/keyboard/monitor).
  • Some software issue -- your windows install might be corrupted, although that would usually manifest in a different way, but that's definitely a possible cause. 
  • A driver issue as others have already mentioned -- this and the above can be tested by backing up your data and then doing a fresh install of windows. 
  • Unlikely, but possible, some electricity issue. It's possible the circuit where your computer is plugged into is no longer stable enough to deliver the amount of power your computer is calling for. It's very unlikely this is the cause -- especially since a system at idle pulls very little power anyway. But if nothing else works, I'd try a different outlet in another room.

He's getting an unexpected shutdown warning -- that wouldn't happen if he had changed a setting to force a shutdown. 

Possible causes: 

• Some hardware issue -- something is faulty/broken/dying (run Aida64/Prime 95 to stress the CPU/RAM, run Heaven to stress the GPU, then run Memtest 86+ to check for any memory errors. Try another power supply if you have another one lying around. Run a diagnostic test (WD diagnostic tool works) on your boot drive. And if all of the above doesn't help, then remove any superfluous items (GPU if you have integrated graphics), all drives except your boot drive, any peripherals/accessories (wifi card, sound card, optical drives, anything plugged into the back of the computer that's not a mouse/keyboard/monitor).
  • Some software issue -- your windows install might be corrupted, although that would usually manifest in a different way, but that's definitely a possible cause. 
  • A driver issue as others have already mentioned -- this and the above can be tested by backing up your data and then doing a fresh install of windows. 
  • Unlikely, but possible, some electricity issue. It's possible the circuit where your computer is plugged into is no longer stable enough to deliver the amount of power your computer is calling for. It's very unlikely this is the cause -- especially since a system at idle pulls very little power anyway. But if nothing else works, I'd try a different outlet in another room.

His GPU is already integrated BQySQ.png

Seeing what your problem is, it's def. your CPU (which has the gpu in it which is the actual problem). Could be overheating, or just died altogether :P

Try a PCI-E Graphics card (like a $20 one to get you by lol) and see if it's that.

I had a faulty power cable once (or was it the plug on the pc, i dont remember), whenever i touched it at the back of the pc it would restart. Might not be the case here but it's another possibility.

I had a faulty power cable once (or was it the plug on the pc, i dont remember), whenever i touched it at the back of the pc it would restart. Might not be the case here but it's another possibility.

The way that iec cables work relies on pressure from the little tabs inside the connector. Over time these tabs can become worn and fail to contact properly. I had this issue with a machine fairly recently. OP, change your power cable for a different one and check, the process of elimination will help you here. Also can you give us more detail, does anything happen on screen before it turns off? or is it instant?

The way that iec cables work relies on pressure from the little tabs inside the connector. Over time these tabs can become worn and fail to contact properly. I had this issue with a machine fairly recently. OP, change your power cable for a different one and check, the process of elimination will help you here. Also can you give us more detail, does anything happen on screen before it turns off? or is it instant?

Well it just closes all my tabs and then distorts to colored horizontal lines and reboots giving the save mode options

Well it just closes all my tabs and then distorts to colored horizontal lines and reboots giving the save mode options

Okay thats not the power cable thing, something to do with the hdd maybe? summon @mccoolname for diagnosis

Okay thats not the power cable thing, something to do with the hdd maybe? summon @mccoolname for diagnosis

Possible causes: 

Archived