First PC Build (this is going to need some help)

Buy my mixtape fam

Disclaimer: I just recently learned how a computer even works, so I'd say this is a pretty good start for me. Keep in mind I'm a noob and had to steal 2 parts of this build from a guide just so I could finish it. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wBPkpg

I desperately need a new PC, and I'd consider myself a gamer, in terms that I play the average video games, such as Battlefront, Fallout, TF2, CSGO, Terraria, etc. I'm looking for something to comfortably run those games, and not make much noise/be hot. I'm honestly very unsure as to whether or not this is extreme overkill in terms of price, or underkill. 

I already have a 120GB SSD (planning to store Windows 8.1 & Linux) and a 1TB hard drive that haven't been used. My dad has some nice video cards from 2010-2013 stored away, but I haven't looked at them yet. I'm hoping one is strong enough and compatible, as that'd really save some money, but if not, I chose one just in case.

I also have no idea how this will physically turn out, so help with casing is appreciated.

inb4 "this is unfixable" because my build is absolute shit

How large is your budget? If you're gonna go with the AMD route could you try and dish out for an 8320? AMD doesn't have exactly the strongest cores compared to intel so the extra cores would help. Or you could buy an cheap I5 and a Z97 board so you can get a 4790k/4690k in the future and overclock. If you have money to dish out go with the Fractal Design R5 it's an amazing case for the features. If not you could buy a Haf 912 for 50 bucks cheaper and will serve you well enough till you want more room.

To be honest you're probably going to need to spend more money on a motherboard because that kind of CPU runs really hot and I'm not sure if the cheap boards can handle the heat. (That's if you are sticking with the AMD) Also let us know about those video cards and we'll see if anything's worth sticking with. If noise is a big concern and you end up buying a new card though it may be better to go with an Nvidia GTX 960 instead. Those generate less heat, so less fan power needed to cool them.

If you have money to dish out go with the Fractal Design R5 it's an amazing case for the features. If not you could buy a Haf 912 for 50 bucks cheaper and will serve you well enough till you want more room.

I think the Define S would be a better choice since it's not only cheaper but has better airflow due to lack of hard drive cages. Really interesting how they went about making the mounts for drives behind the right side panel.

Intel is the way to go if you want something cool and quiet(after changing stock cooler).

That is just incorrect for the most part. It's the CPU cooler that makes sound not the CPU. Intel do make cooler CPUs then AMD for the most part but an AIO/Liquid cooler will cut the majority of the difference in temps, and if that's the reasoning you're thinking of when you're buying a CPU then you're sorely mistaken.

Archived