Absolute noob to this - I would like help with trading :)

Torchbite

Hello everyone,

Firstly I don't know if this is the right category to post in, so I'm very sorry if it's in the wrong place :o

Right, keeping this simple; I'm straight out new to this, I figured I could make some money from my tf2 inventory, which I plan to cash out (cash trading). I used a site called b-web.org (my worth here) to check my backpack worth, some friends and the internet made me aware that it could be inaccurate though. also done some research by looking at the trading posts but I'm still not confident enough in my own knowledge to go for it. I'm asking for a coach to help me through it basically :P I have a couple of questions to ask, but ANY help on trading for a absolute zero like me would be more than appreciated :)

Questions:

1. What's the most accurate way to check my BP worth? (I don't understand how to do it on this site)
  2. How do I set my BP up for trading? (maybe some one could have a look and guide me through it)
  3. ANYTHING else that would help me with this, and even better so if anyone who is very experienced would be ever so kind to lend me some 1 to 1 coaching for this particular matter :)

Thank you so much for reading this, and help would be so so so appreciated :D

Well first off never use B-web to price anything. It uses prices from the heavily overpriced Mann-Co store ingame. For example- a weapon is worth roughly 2 cents, not 12$.

Well first off never use B-web to price anything. It uses prices from the heavily overpriced Mann-Co store ingame. For example- a weapon is worth roughly 2 cents, not 12$.

alright, thanks for clearing that up, does my inventory even have any worth then? Man I feel like i'm trying to swim to the deep end too quickly xD

Your inventory is worth next to nothing, don't use b-web to value things. Ever.

An accurate value of your backpack can be shown here: http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198029034957

You can view other people's backpacks using their profile too. To do this, get their steam profile URL and paste it into the search bar on the backpack.tf main page. For example, my URL is http://steamcommunity.com/id/fuhkinghell/, so to search for me you type "fuhkinghell" into the search bar.

With little metal and weapons, I suggest buying and selling trading cards (assuming you don't want to sell your current hats). It used to be weapons, but almost everyone nowadays knows that 1 scrap for a weapon isn't worth it. Buying trading cards for 1 scrap each and reselling them for 1 scrap + 1 weapon is a slow but steady way of making metal.

To trade up, you should mainly use trading servers for low-tier trading (such as trading cards, hats, etc) and use websites such as tf2outpost.com for when you get to higher tier items, such as stranges and even unusuals if you manage to get there.

Your inventory is worth next to nothing, don't use b-web to value things. Ever.

An accurate value of your backpack can be shown here: http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198029034957

You can view other people's backpacks using their profile too. To do this, get their steam profile URL and paste it into the search bar on the backpack.tf main page. For example, my URL is http://steamcommunity.com/id/fuhkinghell/, so to search for me you type "fuhkinghell" into the search bar.

With little metal and weapons, I suggest buying and selling trading cards (assuming you don't want to sell your current hats). It used to be weapons, but almost everyone nowadays knows that 1 scrap for a weapon isn't worth it. Buying trading cards for 1 scrap each and reselling them for 1 scrap + 1 weapon is a slow but steady way of making metal.

To trade up, you should mainly use trading servers for low-tier trading (such as trading cards, hats, etc) and use websites such as tf2outpost.com for when you get to higher tier items, such as stranges and even unusuals if you manage to get there.

Thanks so much for all the info, and not being total dicks xD I feel like such a dummy for being so ambitious from looking at one site :') I'll try doing that then!

If you want to build up, I suggest buying craft hats for 1 refined each on trading sites, then selling them to bot sites for 1.33 each.

Not much of a profit, but for new players its enough!

To truly start off, I'd say buy trading cards for 1 scrap each, save up for a Tour of Duty ticket, then sell that to get your first amount of refined.

when I first started off trading I just traded basic weapons up in pubs I played in, mind you this can be a very slow process nowadays

your backpack doesn't need any special "setting up" on steam to start trading, organize it however you want and as long as you have premium on tf2 you can trade tf2 things

I see people asking "How do I start"

Simply, if you want to start making money off TF2, put some in. It's how I started, it's how many people started.

Of course, it's possible to start without doing so, but if you're looking for TF2 to become a profitable experience, buy some keys, quickbuy (buy at a heavily reduced price) unusuals, 

Anyway, that's just my input.

Personally, I'd say the best starting point would be stranges over weapon banking and trading cards. Stranges of stock primaries and secondaries always have a decent demand and can be flipped relatively quickly. Some will have parts attached, but don't take those into consideration when buying as people won't pay full price for parts. If you do wind up with one with decent/good parts, it's best to throw it up for auction on bazaar.tf or scrap.tf. You certainly won't get full price for it, but you'll have it out of your hair and still will have sold it for more than a partless one.

Once you've built up enough capital (~7 keys) and feel experienced enough, that's when you jump into unusuals. Quickbuy a cancer unusual then flip for profit. Repeat enough and you can increase how many unusuals you can buy and/or the quality of them.

In any case though, if you're looking just for profit instead of an in-game or Steam-related goal, tf2 trading isn't the best use of your time. Going out and getting an actual job would be a far better money maker there.

Archived