CPU and Motherboard wattages

!каблам

So I have an AMD Phenom 2 X6 1055T 125W CPU 

My motherboard is an asrock 960GM-VGS3 FX 95W

My psu is 600W mars gaming MP600

So far the cpu is underclocked and it's working great for a good month now, no insane heat problems (considering 45C in idle and 70C MAXIMUM on cpu heavy games is normal)

The CPU is underclocked to 2GHz which should reduce wattage, though I am sure 2000MHz is more below 95W than I think

The motherboard info states it supports the exact CPU but the 95W version, both are almost the same

• Is there a possibility the motherboard/CPU would work just fine on default clocks?
  • Also does the motherboard still bottleneck my CPU if the underclock thing makes the CPU run at <95W
  • Does reducing clock reduce wattage and how much clock should I reduce to get most power while being a bit below 95W
  • Also I saw you can reduce voltage, what does it do

Would be cool if someone knows how to calculate this stuff

Any help you can provide will make me a very happy idiot

Don't worry too much about the wattages/voltages. It's a pretty low end board, so I wouldn't go overclocking, but you can run it at the default speeds. 

And yes, if you're running your CPU underclocked, then it's not reach it's full potential. 

When you're overclocking, the goal is to find the highest stable overclock at the lowest stable voltage because lower voltages mean less heat, less power consumption, and less wear on the cpu/board (although at any reasonable overclocks this is irrelevant -- i.e. with Intel's recent CPUs, anything under 1.30v is good and won't cause any damage to the CPU, whereas anything over that will shorten the CPUs lifespan).

Don't worry too much about the wattages/voltages. It's a pretty low end board, so I wouldn't go overclocking, but you can run it at the default speeds. 

And yes, if you're running your CPU underclocked, then it's not reach it's full potential. 

When you're overclocking, the goal is to find the highest stable overclock at the lowest stable voltage because lower voltages mean less heat, less power consumption, and less wear on the cpu/board (although at any reasonable overclocks this is irrelevant -- i.e. with Intel's recent CPUs, anything under 1.30v is good and won't cause any damage to the CPU, whereas anything over that will shorten the CPUs lifespan).

I am... really shocked you actually know your shit

I have the option to reduce voltage, what does it do and is it worth it

Also, am I safe then to just run it at normal clocks 125w? Planning on not burning for at least a year or two

I am... really shocked you actually know your shit

I have the option to reduce voltage, what does it do and is it worth it

Also, am I safe then to just run it at normal clocks 125w? Planning on not burning for at least a year or two

Reducing voltage will reduce the amount of power that the chip draws. You want the lowest voltage that's still enough to keep the CPU stable at whatever clock speed it's running at. So a lower voltage means less stress on the board, and lower heat output from the chip.

That board really isn't designed for the X6 1055t, but at stock speeds it should still be fine, I just wouldn't overclock. The issue with that board is it has a pretty poor power delivery system and very little VRM cooling. So depending on what GPU you have and what games you play, then it may not actually be worthwhile to run the CPU at stock speeds -- but then again, it's also a shame to run it underclocked, especially all the way down at 2ghz. 

Archived