Should i upgrade to OSX Yosemite

Prince Lowell

My computer keeps bugging me about upgrading to yosemite. I thought i was fine without it, and then some programs i want to run will not run on my current OS version. Are there any negatives to upgrading, for example, will i lose any file compatibility with older versions?

My computer keeps bugging me about upgrading to yosemite. I thought i was fine without it, and then some programs i want to run will not run on my current OS version. Are there any negatives to upgrading, for example, will i lose any file compatibility with older versions?

Yosemite it a bit heavier then mavericks -- which is fine if you have a more recent computer (>few years old), but if you have anything older, then I wouldn't go past Mavericks (My 2008 MBP could handle Mavericks just fine, but was very slow with Yosemite).

What program/s are you trying to run that run on Yosemite but not Mavericks? 

Yosemite it a bit heavier then mavericks -- which is fine if you have a more recent computer (>few years old), but if you have anything older, then I wouldn't go past Mavericks (My 2008 MBP could handle Mavericks just fine, but was very slow with Yosemite).

What program/s are you trying to run that run on Yosemite but not Mavericks? 

I don't have mavericks. I have 10.8

I'm trying to run a version of the Dolphin Emulator (4.0-6654) that allows me to play Project M.

I don't have mavericks. I have 10.8

I'm trying to run a version of the Dolphin Emulator (4.0-6654) that allows me to play Project M.

What version of OSX does it require? and what are your Mac's specs? 

What version of OSX does it require? and what are your Mac's specs? 

it requires 10.9, and what kind of specs? My computer is a 2010 macbook pro that i haven't modified at all.

it requires 10.9, and what kind of specs? My computer is a 2010 macbook pro that i haven't modified at all.

So a Core 2 Duo based MBP with 4gb of RAM? 

I'd download OSX Mavericks and avoid Yosemite since Yosemite doesn't run great on older hardware -- El Capitan will supposedly fix the performance issues that Yosemite had, but only time will tell. 

I'd download OSX Mavericks and avoid Yosemite since Yosemite doesn't run great on older hardware -- El Capitan will supposedly fix the performance issues that Yosemite had, but only time will tell. 

How do i do that, i have never downloaded maverick. the only thing it will let me do is download Yosemite. can i get back to Mavericks from that?

Archived