HW Spell Overprices?

Pix Hecate

So I'm just wonder, why are some spells that are only active ~1/12 of the time cost up to 15 keys? seriously I have never gotten why they cost so damn much

the only reason they are that valuable is for the actual spell bottle themselves outside of the season; people misinterpret why the spell bottles are valuable and think they add value to the hats, when in fact they are only valuable out of season due to being glitched.

They are still a relatively rare commodity that many people want. Getting actual spell bottles is a hassle on both the seller and the buyer's part, and there are few sellers.

Plus, it's not just 1/12th of the year. Eternaween enchantments are cheap, and many community servers run Halloween mode 24/7 all year.

Besides, the ones that are up in the 10+ key price range are the really good ones. Pumpkin rockets, ethereal flames, foot print trails, etc. 

So I'm just wonder, why are some spells that are only active ~1/12 of the time cost up to 15 keys? seriously I have never gotten why they cost so damn much

basically what litwich said

while not worth 15 keys, they're still worth something (really only spectral flame and the footprints are though, rest won't add more than a key if applied)

• 2 weeks later...

Halloween spells used to be worth quite a bit for the reason that they were unobtainable outside of the Halloween events. This is how Valve had actually intended the spells to work: Only obtainable during Halloween and would be removed from items after the event was over. But, after the first Halloween event where they were distributed, users found that if they kept them in the backpacks of alt accounts that didn't log out, the items remained in their inventory after the time when they were suppose to be removed, and were still tradeable and could still be applied to hats. On top of this, the spells wouldn't vanish from the hats because it was past the expiration time when it was suppose to be removed.

This was not how Valve originally intended the spells to work, but they allowed the spells to stay where they were and didn't remove them. This is what drove the demand for the spell so high in the first place, because the playerbase recognized that Valve saw it as a glitch and did nothing to remove the glitched items, as they have always done in the past. In later years, Valve would just adjust the expiration times to the following year, but still allowed the effects to stay in the game, basically changing how the items worked, and made them all compliant, so now it isn't necessarily a glitch anymore.

Even moreso, NOW Valve allows users to sell the spells on the market, showing even further that they are embracing it as a non-glitched item. Before, these items were pricy because of their glitched nature. Now, I am unsure why they are priced so high, as they aren't glitched anymore, but are instead working as Valve intends them to.

I suppose old habits die hard.

Archived