Guide - How to verify your credit card (Non USD)

Milz187

Wasn't sure where to post this, but thought this could help someone out at some point so I thought I'll leave it here.

If you weren't aware once you link up a new Credit Card to your Steam account you then need to go through the authentication process. What is this? Steam sends 2 x pending payment to your credit card and from there you need to enter the two amounts on the Steam authentication page (this will be on your market page if your affected)

This is easy for USD buyer as the payment is made is USD, thus it's easy to confirm as it's a match. This can be an issue if your account is in another currency though, like myself in AUD, as the value I see is in AUD and entering this amount won't work. All banks use a different exchange so using a exchange calculator probably won't help.

How do I get around this?

The card doesn't go into a verification stage until you have attempted to deposit funds into your account. Now with this in mind I'll use a case example to try and explain it better.

Say you had deposited $50 into your Steam Account which then pushed your card into verification mode, from here you can request to unlock it (option on your market page) which will then send you 2 x pending payments to confirm. As stated above unless your USD then matching these payments won't work.

Your credit card will have a pending payment from steam as you are not a USD user it's not going to be $50. In the case for this scenario it is 66.61.

66.61 / 50 = $1.3322 (in your case you will need to divide the amount deposited into steam by the amount pending in your account)

Now say the pending amounts you had deposited into your account are:

- 2.55 AUD

- 1.22 AUD

To get the USD sent value you will need to:

- 2.55 AUD / 1.3322 =  1.914 USD

- 1.22 AUD / 1.3322 =  0.915 USD

Now you have 3 shots at getting this correct.

Impotent note:

- My code was different to the example as above for obvious reasons.

- In my case I tried to enter the first 3 which made the most sense but they didn't work, then I noticed the 4th number was an 8 for 1 and a 9 for the other, I then rounded the 3rd number up because of this and it worked.

So my suggestion will be if the first 3 numbers don't work have a look at the 4th number and look to round up or down.

Archived